Ripping Dolby Atmos into MKV

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
quietvoid

Re: Ripping Dolby Atmos into MKV

Post by quietvoid »

What version of MKVToolNix are you using?

There was a bug very recently fixed, which affected most F9 muxes made from MakeMKV's original file.
As well as other seamless branching titles.
https://gitlab.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/-/issues/3202

I don't know if it has an effect on the audio, though.

You could also try PlexKodiConnect instead of the old Plex addon.
psyc_

Post by psyc_ »

Looks like that feature made it into 62.0.0 which is what I had been using without success. Also I was having the issue on files that MKVToolNix hadn't actually touched.

Setting up PlexKodiConnect now to see if that makes a difference and I just got a new copy of the UHD Blu-ray that I'm ripping to see if maybe that makes any difference or it was a problem with an earlier version, will report back

Not sure if anyone else is seeing this on their copy of The Martian
psyc_

Post by psyc_ »

Tried the new rip/demux and the behavior is essentially the same

I did try PlexKodiConnect as well, the behavior of the audio-drop and desync was slightly different timing wise compared to both the Plex addon and the native Plex app on Android TV (all on the Shield) but still persisted at the same scene which I've been using as my test scenario

Not sure if anyone else can reproduce
baldrick

Post by baldrick »

I believe this issue has not been solved. I too get audio drops at various points in the MKV produced from the UHD disc of The Martian Extended with the Dolby Atmos track. Has anybody been able to get a 2180p /w Atmos MKV of this film (the Extended cut) with no audio drops?
baldrick

Post by baldrick »

Replying to my own post, there is in fact no problem with the MKV. To my surprise the player was the problem. In my case, I use Plex on the 2017 Shield and there is an audio drop when the MKV switches from one fragment (the various .m2ts files that together make the MKV) to another. I tried the Plex add-on in Kodi and I had audio drops as well. But when I switched to the Kodi player itself, more specifically the 19.3 version, it played the UHD MKV perfectly in Dolby Atmos with no audio drops, including the new scene at 00:58:03 that was mentioned earlier in this thread. Thanks to those who suggested this solution. Plex is losing more feathers as time goes by...
bellboy

Post by bellboy »

For those that mentioned Plex earlier, there's a rather heated discussion going on about Dolby Atmos, et. al.

For your reading pleasure...
https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-displays- ... 702274/238

For the tl;dr crowd, one of the Plex employees recently dropped this little tidbit:
With the upcoming server support, we’ll be able to Direct Stream Dolby Vision MKV and MPEGTS files for AVPlayer.
Chrsmur

Post by Chrsmur »

Hi,

I compared my original UHD disk Aquaman with Dolby Atmos 16 channels with the exact same ripped copy. My player Oppo 203 can play both, but while the disc is played with full 16 channels, the ripped mkv still contain 16 channels according to media-info but Oppo 203 cannot played them all, however, Zappiti Cinema Audiocom Edition is playing both mkv file and original master disc with all full Atmos 16 channels. However, Zappiti did not had Dolby Vision, only the newest version Zappiti Signature which have been released this year. This one is capable of full Dolby Atmos 16 channels and some of the Dolby Vision formats but not all of them. Hope to see a firmware if possible.