Ripping Dolby Atmos into MKV

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
jayper

Re: Ripping Dolby Atmos into MKV

Post by jayper »

SamuriHL wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:09 pm
Now if only plex could pick up the same fix we'd be in great shape. LOL Has anyone checked this build with F9 to see if it's truly fixed completely?
I can try to check it out tonight.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Awesome. I won't have time as I'll be too busy watching Underworld. :)
jayper

Post by jayper »

Well, the one caveat is whether or not the new Kodi build has been pushed to the Play Store for the Nvidia Shield. I don't have the time to deal with side-loading tonight. However, as soon as I pull it down I will give it a go.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

It wasn't up there last night when I checked. But usually it's updated pretty quick so hopefully it'll be there tonight.
jayper

Post by jayper »

SamuriHL wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:13 pm
It wasn't up there last night when I checked. But usually it's updated pretty quick so hopefully it'll be there tonight.
As of last night, I was still only seeing 19.2
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I forced 19.3 on my shield by manually installing it. I don't know what's going on with my equipment lately but the audio dropped every couple seconds. As in the signal just died. I don't think that's a 19.3 problem but I don't know for sure and didn't have time to troubleshoot it last night. I'll take a closer look tonight before watching Underworld Evolution.
jayper

Post by jayper »

SamuriHL wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:10 pm
I forced 19.3 on my shield by manually installing it. I don't know what's going on with my equipment lately but the audio dropped every couple seconds. As in the signal just died. I don't think that's a 19.3 problem but I don't know for sure and didn't have time to troubleshoot it last night. I'll take a closer look tonight before watching Underworld Evolution.
I force pushed Kodi 19.3 this morning as well, and have some good news. I did a quick check on Fast 9 using the following spot (timestamp for the Extended Cut is 0:12:20 - Dom driving down airport runway). No dropout issues. I re-checked Plex for a comparison point and the drop is definitely there. I can reproduce it 100% on Plex. Two times through with Kodi and no issues. Very promising!
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Excellent. So I'll chalk up my issues to my receiver acting stupid. I'll have to see what the hell it's doing. Very likely a receiver issue with Underworld, as well. Why can't stuff "just work(tm)"??? sigh LOL
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Kodi is indeed working perfectly for me. I did have to make a change to my settings. I had a while back changed the audio passthrough device to Android raw because I couldn't get the Kodi audio device to bitstream properly. Changing this back fixed my weird audio problem (well the one in f9 when I went to test this build, anyway) and allowed me to get audio again in F9. And it's working with no drop outs. Fantastic! Now if only they'd throw the dolby vision code in there we'd be golden.
jayper

Post by jayper »

That's great to hear!
psyc_

Post by psyc_ »

I'm still seeing this issue on The Martian extended cut when it goes to an extra scene despite the latest update

Issue still goes away when not using the extended cut or if I switch to a non-atmos audio track so thinking it's not solved
jayper

Post by jayper »

psyc_ wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:48 pm
I'm still seeing this issue on The Martian extended cut when it goes to an extra scene despite the latest update

Issue still goes away when not using the extended cut or if I switch to a non-atmos audio track so thinking it's not solved
What is the timestamp of the drop out on The Martian? Curious to check my copy. Thanks!
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I'm assuming this is Kodi on the shield? If so, what is your audio device set to for passthrough?
karbre

Post by karbre »

"when it goes to an extra scene" sounds like a seamless branching issue which has nothing to do with the new fix in Kodi
psyc_

Post by psyc_ »

Yeah its my best guess that it's also a seamless branching issue but figured I'd share since I thought F9 was also plagued by the same seamless branching problem but now people were indicating it was fixed, perhaps I misunderstood. I don't have a copy of F9 to test against.

This is on an nvidia shield using the latest version of Kodi (via Plex addon), I tried both default and raw devices with the same behavior

The time of the drop is at the scene transition around 58:03 on the extended cut

I've tried to re-rip using a number of different solutions (makeMKV, CloneBD, DGDemux, eac3to) as well as processing the Atmos track using MLP (https://github.com/domyd/mlp) and then remuxing using mkvtoolnix without any improvements though I've mostly been using an old ISO I have backed up since my original disc isn't reading well, have a replacement on the way. Not sure if older software issues would be reflected in the ISO or not since I know there's been some improvements to seamless branch handling over the last year but figured the ISO file shouldn't matter