Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Rivdoric

Re: Ripping Dolby Atmos into MKV

Post by Rivdoric »

domy94 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:50 pm
Rivdoric wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:44 pm
If my assumption is right, the only discs you should re-rip are Atmos discs where movies are split between multiple m2ts parts :mrgreen: .
Except Disney & Pixar, i almost never see such discs.
Yes, discs where the whole movie is just one segment don't need to be re-ripped.
You might also see it for movies that have multiple cuts - Gladiator 4K is one such example, but that is DTS:X and not Atmos.
Gladiator & King Kong are other examples yes.
But since they are DTS:X ; no need as well.... :mrgreen:
MrEWhite

Post by MrEWhite »

I have a Nvidia Shield Pro and the latest beta of Plex, and I'm having an issue with a single disc, Apocalypse Now (the theatrical cut). I ripped this and it plays back fine if I have the audio transcoded to AC3, but when I play it with Atmos, at about 44:05, the image freezes for a second or so and the audio drops out. When it comes back, the image is stuttery and the audio is out of sync. I've read this is due to seamless branching with this disc. Is there any way to fix it or am I SOL? I used the latest version of MakeMKV, 1.15.4 to rip this.
hogfan

Post by hogfan »

I'm having a similar issue as MrEWhite, but the first time I've encountered this issue is with the movie Midway with the TrueHD Atmos track. The video does not stutter at all but, but when watching this movie last night the audio drops out for a few seconds about 4 or 5 times, and when audio returns audio and video is out-of-sync. I ripped this disc with MakeMKV 1.5.4 and confirmed the writing application/version with Mediainfo last night be confirm this. Can anybody confirm that Midway also uses seamless branching? Or is this some other issue I'm experiencing? I read somewhere that this is an issue with Plex Player and audio won't cut out if I use VLC or some other player. However, I'm specifically using Plex because it supports Dolby Vision.

Here's my setup below:

Nvidia 2019 Shield Pro w/ latest software updates
Plex Client on Shield is the latest stable
Plex Server is latest stable (Windows)
Shield --> Yamaha RX-V685 Receiver --> 2020 LG C9 OLED
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Do you have logs from your rip?

You can tell if a title is using seamless branching if there's more than one segment listed in the segment map for a title in MakeMKV… highlight the movie on the left and look in the info window on the right.
zomorf

Post by zomorf »

Midway is Lionsgate correct playlist is 00504.mpls for Midway and being Lionsgate you'd have multiple branches being loaded.

Is this where ripping groups keep using eac3to for all audio ripping still? One well known groups uses makemkv for video but eac3to for all audio work in remuxes...

Guessing MakeMKV still has issues especially with truehd-atmos.
lata
zomorf
bnormal1

Post by bnormal1 »

I'm having audio issues with "The Natural" 4k. While watching the Directors Cut and listening to the Atmos audio around 40 minutes into the movie the audio drops out and a few seconds later audio resumes but it's now out of sync. Rewinding a few seconds fixes it until a few minutes later and the same thing happens.

The odd thing is if watching the Theatrical Cut and listening to the Atmos audio there are no drop outs or out of sync errors. Go figure.

I ripped both versions using MakeMKV 1.15.4 and I access the movie via the latest server version of Plex through a Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro. I do not have this issue with any other 4k movie with Atmos. My Denon reciever which is after the Shield in the chain supports Atmos. All hardware has the latest fw and all software is using the latest version.

Anyone see anything in the log that explains the problem?
thanks
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
(24.72 KiB) Downloaded 343 times
recordplay

Post by recordplay »

spl147 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:18 pm
This “FIX” will NOT solve the dropout issue in KODI! KODI’s issue is a hard coded max bitrate value.

Just a FYI
Will this issue ever get fixed? I was watching Age of Ultron tonight and the dropouts were quite annoying
spl147

Post by spl147 »

recordplay wrote:
spl147 wrote:
This “FIX” will NOT solve the dropout issue in KODI! KODI’s issue is a hard coded max bitrate value.

Just a FYI
Will this issue ever get fixed? I was watching Age of Ultron tonight and the dropouts were quite annoying
Ask the KODI devs
recordplay

Post by recordplay »

spl147 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:12 pm
recordplay wrote:
spl147 wrote:

Just a FYI
Ask the KODI devs
Seems like any time you ask about anything on their forums, you get a bit of attitude and they don't seem to care. idk. I love Kodi software but it might be time for switch. Does Plex have these issues?
pcolmer

Post by pcolmer »

spl147 wrote:

Just a FYI
Is that still the case with Kodi v19 (Matrix)?

Is there any workaround/solution?

Is there a way to tell if a particular disc is affected by this?

Is there a Kodi forum post that references this?

Sorry for all of the questions but I'm about to re-rip Incredibles 2 now that MakeMKV incorporates the new code but I'd like to be more sure of how well my system is going to behave.

Thanks.
spl147

Post by spl147 »

pcolmer wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 4:38 pm
spl147 wrote:

Just a FYI
Is that still the case with Kodi v19 (Matrix)?

Is there any workaround/solution?

Is there a way to tell if a particular disc is affected by this?

Is there a Kodi forum post that references this?

Sorry for all of the questions but I'm about to re-rip Incredibles 2 now that MakeMKV incorporates the new code but I'd like to be more sure of how well my system is going to behave.

Thanks.
yep SILL the same issue in KODI 19.....I have given up on KODI, i have moved on to the Zidoo Z9X. Plays Dolby Vision in the MKV Container and NO TrueHD/Atmos Dropouts!! mine arrives tomorrow
pcolmer

Post by pcolmer »

For anyone else who uses Kodi, I found a discussion thread on forum.kodi.tv about the issue: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=347674

To be fair to the Kodi developers, it doesn't read like they are ignoring the issue - they just don't have the resources to get it fixed and are more than open to anyone outside the core team to do the work.
spl147

Post by spl147 »

pcolmer wrote:For anyone else who uses Kodi, I found a discussion thread on forum.kodi.tv about the issue: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=347674

To be fair to the Kodi developers, it doesn't read like they are ignoring the issue - they just don't have the resources to get it fixed and are more than open to anyone outside the core team to do the work.
They don’t have the resources to fix a 2+ year old bug but they have resources to release the next major version and now start on KODI 20 Alpha
pcolmer

Post by pcolmer »

spl147 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 12:40 pm
pcolmer wrote:For anyone else who uses Kodi, I found a discussion thread on forum.kodi.tv about the issue: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=347674

They don’t have the resources to fix a 2+ year old bug but they have resources to release the next major version and now start on KODI 20 Alpha
Looking at the associated GitHub issue, it looks like this is not a simple fix and that they have one developer who knows what is involved. This bug may be old but, from what I've read, it is nuanced and needs someone who understands the code to fix it. It is not a simple port of a fix from elsewhere. Anyway, I was only sharing the link in case other MakeMKV users who are similarly affected wanted to track the conversation. The GitHub issue is another way of tracking it.
spl147

Post by spl147 »

pcolmer wrote:
spl147 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 12:40 pm

Looking at the associated GitHub issue, it looks like this is not a simple fix and that they have one developer who knows what is involved. This bug may be old but, from what I've read, it is nuanced and needs someone who understands the code to fix it. It is not a simple port of a fix from elsewhere. Anyway, I was only sharing the link in case other MakeMKV users who are similarly affected wanted to track the conversation. The GitHub issue is another way of tracking it.
Yep, 2+ years old, well aware of who and where and why….. Just a FYI, the Zidoo players based on the Realtek 1619 chip using Zidoos forked Kodi play atmos without issue as well as dolby vision in mkv