Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
MartyMcNuts

Re: Ripping Dolby Atmos into MKV

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Adrian_Bonz wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:05 pm
Hello,

I've just started today with makemkv.
Can anyone please help me how to extract a file (Remux, UHD, True HD 7.1 Atmos)? I already have about 20Movies and only 2 of them display in my soundbar the Atmos. Already tested with some Atmos demos and its working. The only problem is with the torrent movie files (all are Remux 2160p, True HD 7.1 Atmos).
All the help is needed, thank you soo much.
As Woodstock said and also, we do not condone piracy.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
spl147

Post by spl147 »

Adrian_Bonz wrote:Hello,

I've just started today with makemkv.
Can anyone please help me how to extract a file (Remux, UHD, True HD 7.1 Atmos)? I already have about 20Movies and only 2 of them display in my soundbar the Atmos. Already tested with some Atmos demos and its working. The only problem is with the torrent movie files (all are Remux 2160p, True HD 7.1 Atmos).
All the help is needed, thank you soo much.
Try buying the discs! Then use MakeMKV to make your own remux’s
anothermkvuser

Post by anothermkvuser »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 12:01 am
As Woodstock said and also, we do not condone piracy.
YES, as Marty/Woodstock said.............. Buy the media, support the Artists, the Film Makers, the Crew, keep the studios receptive and motivated to creating UHD media in the first place as its the best quality one can get. Streaming will never be at that level. Buy it, then make your MKV.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Truthfully, my comment was about how MakeMKV wasn't going to be helpful to the process. A torrent download would be missing key things MakeMKV needs to decrypt the data. If it's already decrypted, other tools can be used.

But the piracy aspect does come into play.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
domy94

Post by domy94 »

This issue has been bothering me more than it should over the last few months, so I ended up writing my own tool because still no demuxer (including MakeMKV 1.15.1) handles TrueHD flawlessly.

https://github.com/domyd/mlp

The core issue was never Atmos or high bitrate. It is simply caused by demuxers cutting up the TrueHD track inappropriately. Disney/Pixar tracks are just much more susceptible due to their sheer number of segments. MakeMKV 1.15.1 fixed those egregiously loud pops and snaps, but they're still there if you listen closely. Take Monsters University, US UHD disc, playlist 00800, the audio between 2m29s and 2m30s. You can still hear a pop at normal listening volume, but it's quiet enough where you won't notice unless you're actively listening for it. I've written up my findings here in more detail, including a picture of said section of audio.

So I wrote a demuxer that does it right. It only cuts away TrueHD frames that are duplicates, ensuring there aren't any discontinuities anywhere in the track. And that's it, really - if you get that right, A/V sync ends up perfect and pops and snaps are completely gone.

I'd love for you guys to try it out. I've tried it on most Disney/Pixar discs, as well as Alita: Battle Angel, and it works perfectly there. Feedback on a wider variety of discs would be great.

It's also open source and I invite the creators of MakeMKV and others to have a look; perhaps we can all have flawless demuxed TrueHD streams in the future :)
WilliamG

Post by WilliamG »

domy94 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 7:00 pm
This issue has been bothering me more than it should over the last few months, so I ended up writing my own tool because still no demuxer (including MakeMKV 1.15.1) handles TrueHD flawlessly.

The core issue was never Atmos or high bitrate. It is simply caused by demuxers cutting up the TrueHD track inappropriately. Disney/Pixar tracks are just much more susceptible due to their sheer number of segments. MakeMKV 1.15.1 fixed those egregiously loud pops and snaps, but they're still there if you listen closely. Take Monsters University, US UHD disc, playlist 00800, the audio between 2m29s and 2m30s. You can still hear a pop at normal listening volume, but it's quiet enough where you won't notice unless you're actively listening for it. I've written up my findings here in more detail, including a picture of said section of audio.

So I wrote a demuxer that does it right. It only cuts away TrueHD frames that are duplicates, ensuring there aren't any discontinuities anywhere in the track. And that's it, really - if you get that right, A/V sync ends up perfect and pops and snaps are completely gone.

I'd love for you guys to try it out. I've tried it on most Disney/Pixar discs, as well as Alita: Battle Angel, and it works perfectly there. Feedback on a wider variety of discs would be great.

It's also open source and I invite the creators of MakeMKV and others to have a look; perhaps we can all have flawless demuxed TrueHD streams in the future :)
Quoting this post because you've made my week. This issue has been so annoying for SO LONG.

The question is: Can we take an existing Remux and "fix" it, or do we need to dig out the original discs and re-do it from the physical media. The reason I ask is that the first way is less work for me, and the second way means doing one disc at a time, physically, which will take me an age.

Thank you for all your efforts. Brilliant.
domy94

Post by domy94 »

Thank you! :)

That's a good question and I've been wondering that myself. It's kind of complicated.

It's certainly possible to fix existing tracks to some degree by having a pass over the TrueHD stream and removing duplicate frames. That would, for example, catch that segment transition I pictured. This is relatively straightforward to do.

What's impossible to fix, however, are places where multiple frames were cut off. MakeMKV does this seemingly at every other segment boundary or so. I imagine it would technically be possible, but it would be a ridiculous amount of effort for something that's only going to make a faulty TrueHD track slightly less faulty.

I'll add a command for checking and fixing existing streams, but it's never going to produce as good of a result as re-ripping from source. The exception would be if the ripped track originated from DGDemux 1.0.0.21 or earlier, which didn't do gaps processing on TrueHD at all. Those rips can be fixed without sacrificing quality.
WilliamG

Post by WilliamG »

Thank you for the reply! That’s fine, a little more effort and I can make this work, but for now I’ll have to wait till it’s Mac-compatible!

Thank you again for all your efforts!
HEVCc

Post by HEVCc »

domy94 wrote:

I'm not able to get this working. I downloaded the latest binaries (mlp-0.4.0.zip). I also installed Rust. I have C:\Users\MyUser\.cargo\bin in the PATH env var. Ideas?

Code: Select all

C:\mlp>mlp.exe demux playlist --force -vv "D:\BDMV\PLAYLIST\00800.mpls" --output "C:\Temp\output.thd"
20:43:44 [DEBUG] Playlist has 1 angle.
20:43:44 [DEBUG] Using angle 1.
20:43:44 [WARN] Overwriting existing output file C:\Temp\output.thd.
20:43:44 [INFO] Processing file 1/59 ('D:\BDMV\STREAM\01108.m2ts') ...
20:43:44 [DEBUG] Overrun is now 0 samples.
20:43:44 [DEBUG] Copying TrueHD stream to output ...
thread 'main' panicked at 'called `Result::unwrap()` on an `Err` value: DemuxErr(NoTrueHdStreamFound)', src\main.rs:191:41
stack backtrace:
   0:     0x7ff74f6709df - <unknown>
   1:     0x7ff74f686e8b - <unknown>
   2:     0x7ff74f66d73c - <unknown>
   3:     0x7ff74f673b4c - <unknown>
   4:     0x7ff74f67379f - <unknown>
   5:     0x7ff74f6742a7 - <unknown>
   6:     0x7ff74f673e2f - <unknown>
   7:     0x7ff74f684df0 - <unknown>
   8:     0x7ff74f684c23 - <unknown>
   9:     0x7ff74f520e57 - <unknown>
  10:     0x7ff74f518372 - <unknown>
  11:     0x7ff74f673cc7 - <unknown>
  12:     0x7ff74f6776b2 - <unknown>
  13:     0x7ff74f6744e8 - <unknown>
  14:     0x7ff74f5245f7 - <unknown>
  15:     0x7ff74f68df54 - <unknown>
  16:     0x7ff8cf6c7bd4 - BaseThreadInitThunk
  17:     0x7ff8cff8ce51 - RtlUserThreadStart
cipher

Post by cipher »

domy94 wrote:

Nice work and very interesting, domy94. It's amazing the number of issues that Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos have caused over the past couple of years from both the demuxers and software players as can be seen by my previous lengthy post in this thread. While my major Dolby issues have been addressed with the latest versions of MakeMKV/Shield/Exoplayer it will be great to take care of any additional issues like the one you've identified. Many of us are looking for 1:1 rips of Video/Audio and it seems that Dolby lossless tracks have been causing an issue for a while now.
domy94

Post by domy94 »

@HEVCc, seems like there's no TrueHD stream on that disk. What blu-ray is it, and what's the output of `ffprobe D:\BDMV\STREAM\01108.m2ts`?
dontknowjack

Post by dontknowjack »

Is there anyway to know whether the TrueHD Atmos track has been remuxed without problems other than playing the whole file?
spl147

Post by spl147 »

@Domy94

the Kodi High Bitrate audio issue is in fact a seperate issue as it has a hardcoded ceiling. i tried your tool on frozen II, and the same issue is present as before. the file exceeds the max bitrate, hence the dropouts
WilliamG

Post by WilliamG »

spl147 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:19 pm
@Domy94

the Kodi High Bitrate audio issue is in fact a seperate issue as it has a hardcoded ceiling. i tried your tool on frozen II, and the same issue is present as before. the file exceeds the max bitrate, hence the dropouts
Back to square one then. I can’t believe this issue hasn’t been addressed yet. :(
domy94

Post by domy94 »

How do you guys get the dropouts? Where in Frozen II using what player?