Ripping Dolby Atmos into MKV

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
SamuriHL

Re: Ripping Dolby Atmos into MKV

Post by SamuriHL »

Pretty much anything by Disney appears to have this issue. Some are more pronounced than others. It's possible you may not miss a dropped frame here or there. But in the case of Incredibles 2, it's highly pronounced throughout the movie. In other cases the movie slowly starts to drift out of sync because of the dropped frames. So this problem can manifest itself, or be completely missed, in a variety of ways. Fun, right?! :D But anything Disney....likely to have an issue.
omk1980

Post by omk1980 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:46 pm
Fantastic! That's going to make a lot of people happy for sure. A good one to test on is Incredibles 2. Will try to get to it later today if no one else has gotten to it yet.
How did Incredibles 2 come out?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I've not had a chance to try it. Been busy working on Dolby vision titles.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

omk1980

Post by omk1980 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:48 pm
I've not had a chance to try it. Been busy working on Dolby vision titles.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I just saw that yesterday. Very exciting. I've been doing full backups per your recommendations and eager to get to the dv files. Is there any degradation in quality or would this be identical to putting the disc in the player?
ManMower

Post by ManMower »

omk1980 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:36 pm
SamuriHL wrote:
Fantastic! That's going to make a lot of people happy for sure. A good one to test on is Incredibles 2. Will try to get to it later today if no one else has gotten to it yet.
I know you didn't ask me, and I haven't re-ripped my Incredibles 2 either, but I can confirm that Ralph Breaks the Internet works properly now in the scene transition that used to give me a painfully loud snapping noise. :)
omk1980

Post by omk1980 »

ManMower wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:24 pm
omk1980 wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:
I know you didn't ask me, and I haven't re-ripped my Incredibles 2 either, but I can confirm that Ralph Breaks the Internet works properly now in the scene transition that used to give me a painfully loud snapping noise. :)
Very cool. Thanks for confirming.
jayper

Post by jayper »

ManMower wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:24 pm
omk1980 wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:
That's good to hear! I noted it above, but the 1.15.1 fixed the complete audio dropout I was having in Frozen.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Yea this is awesome news. MakeMKV is having a very good week. LOL
henkeli

Post by henkeli »

Silver lining that the was issue confined mostly/fully to Disney, as they put most of their stuff on the + app.
cipher

Post by cipher »

Just thought I would add some info I've read lately to help those trying to troubleshoot Dolby Atmos/TrueHD audio dropout issue many are/were experiencing, especially on Disney titles. As well, this should help those who believe all their dropout issues are due to MakeMKV.

The latest MakeMKV release (1.15.1) included a fix for audio dropouts. I originally thought this would take care of the dropouts on my remuxes that contained Atmos/TrueHD, but after remuxing many of these titles I was still hearing the same dropouts. However, further online reading uncovered that certain streamers (eg nVidia Shield) and software (nVidia Shield A/V, Kodi A/V) were experiencing their own issues with audio that was also leading to dropouts. To complicate it even further, Plex on the Shield was experiencing two different dropout issues: audio dropouts at random moments and audio dropouts in specific fixed scenes.

At this point, I realized that someone like myself who remuxes titles using MakeMKV and streams these MKV's using Plex on the Shield was possibly experiencing three different causes for the audio dropouts:

1) Remuxes from MakeMKV prior to v1.15.1
2) Random dropouts while playing Atmos/TrueHD via Plex on the Shield
3) Fixed dropouts while playing Atmos/TrueHD via Plex on the Shield

For those using the MakeMKV/Plex/Shield combo (which seems to be a lot of people on this forum) here is a year-long history of software releases that are attempting to address these audio dropouts:
Shield 2015/2017 - v8.0.1 1st Hotfix (Released 1/15/19))
-HD audio dropouts

Shield 2015/2017 - v8.0.2 (Released 1/27/20)
-Resolves audio drop issues when playing high bit-rate or Dolby TrueHD streams over HDMI passthrough.

Shield 2015/2017 - v8.0.2 3rd Hotfix (Released 2/22/2020)
-Resolves issue with high bit rate audio dropping audio at fixed locations. Note: This fixes will apply to apps using SHIELDs audio engine like Plex/Photos & Videos. Kodi has it's own engine which has not fixed this bug yet so the fix will not apply to Kodi and apps like it.

Shield 2019 - v8.1.0 6th HotFix (Released 2/18/2020):
-Resolves issue with high bit rate audio dropping audio at fixed locations. Note: This fixes will apply to apps using SHIELDs audio engine like Plex/Photos & Videos. Kodi has it's own engine which has not fixed this bug yet so the fix will not apply to Kodi and apps like it.

Shield 2019 - 8.1.1 (Released 2/26/20)
-Resolves issue with high bit rate audio dropping audio at fixed locations. Note: This fixe will apply to apps using SHIELDs audio engine like -Plex/Photos & Videos. Kodi has its own engine which has not fixed this bug yet so the fix will not apply to Kodi and apps like it.

MakeMKV - v1.15.1 (released 4/15/20)
-MakeMKV was (rarely, but still) dropping wrong audio frames on segment boundaries, so MKV files are bad (with clicks on scene change) but backups are good.
As you can see, depending on which build of MakeMKV you have been using and which combination of Shield hardware (2015/2017/2019) and Shield software you were using would determine if you are experiencing this issue with your titles. It also helps explains why different people testing and reporting on the same title are seeing different results. It's important to note here that the same issues extends to other platforms like Kodi, Emby, MyCe (I don't use these myself which is why I haven't included them above).

Now, for most people the above summary should be good enough to know what's been happening and what they need to do to correct the dropout issues. However, for those who want more info and to do some further reading the following is one of the best links I've come across - https://forums.plex.tv/t/shield-experie ... uts/441116.

Finally, here are some relevant posts by the plex/shield devs/testers that adds pertinent information related to the underlying dropout issues:
Nov 14/2019 - "There are no 8.0.1 specific regressions on droputs. There is a long-standing issue with high bit rate audio content that drops out when the bit rate goes above a certain limit. Unfortunately this is a limit with the open source passthrough solutions for high bit rate uncompressed Dolby that cannot be resolved by us."
"If your audio dropouts happen at the same place, this is not being addressed. If the audio dropouts happen at random places, that is what is being addressed.

Nov 19/2019 - "A. We know about a number of issues. TrueHD isn’t the only codec with a problem we are working on. The supplemental metadata (which is how the newer codecs work) is where these issues lay and why some users see the problems while others don’t.
b. Some of it is app & codec related while some of it is the platform itself. NVidia’s hotfix has corrected a lot of the problem. Given the app and codecs are dependent on the underlying nVidia platform, now we are working our way back through the codecs and apps."

Nov 19/2019 - "The player is built on foundational layers. To identify the issue, there is the process of elimination for root cause as you peel back layers. Plex, Nvidia and Google all have a part in making the magic work. Plex works with both Google and Nvidia. If the root cause and a solution can be identified by Plex and passed onto the other parties—this can be seen as fixing the issue even if its just passing along the fix to be executed by others. On the Shield much of this is based on FOSS packages. Even though it can be installed on the Shield, Kodi is a different FOSS beast than how Emby/Plex works."

Nov 19/2019 - "To augment:
We have cross checked with other player solutions.
This dropout is 100% reproducible for all of them.
The root problem is, as stated by nVidia in their forums which is referenced above, in the lower layers of Android and must now be resolved by Google."
"Asserting a hypothesis here: Audio stream is ok until such time as additional bandwidth - buffer space is required for the LFE portion of that stream"

Nov 19/2019 - "Dolby MAT 1.0 is used to encapsulate Dolby TrueHD
Dolby MAT 2.0 is used to encapsulate Dolby TrueHD and Atmos spatial metadata"

Nov 19/2019 - "The Shield will passthrough pre-Atmos Dolby TrueHD encapsulated with Dolby MAT 1.0 without problems. With the advent of Dolby Atmos TrueHD premiering with 4K BDs and eventually included on BDs, the time specific HD audio dropouts reared its ugly head. As time progresses and more people consume media with the Dolby Atmos TrueHD, the reports of this issue are becoming more widespread. It has been made more confusing and complex to troubleshoot with the random HD audio passthrough dropout bugs cropping up."

Jan 27/2020 - "FYI, new Shield update just released. Includes fix audio drop outs.SHIELD Experience Update 8.0.2 now available"

Jan 27/2020 - "Random HD audio dropouts is what was resolved by Nvidia. The time specific HD audio droputs are due to insufficient frame size for Dolby MAT 2.0 encapsulation that is used for Dolby Atmos TrueHD. This has to be fixed by Google+Nvidia. This impacts Emby, Kodi and Plex on the Nvidia Shield. Users need to make more posting on Nvidia’s forums if we are to get traction on a resolution for this issue."

Feb 16/2020 - "All units 2015/2017/2019 will be getting this supposed fix in the next respective hotfix build release. Glad to see that Nvidia got to the bottom of the insufficient frame size for encapsulation within Dolby MAT 2.0"
"No as this issue is at the subsystem layers. Plex will not need to do anything."

Feb 16/2020 - "I can confirm Nvidia has truly resolved this multiyear long bug. I can no longer reproduce the timestamp specific HD audio dropouts via passthrough."

Feb 24/2020 - "Looks like a fix has been released for older models of Nvidia Shield. Look forward to testing later today"
"And it works"

Feb 24/2020 - ""I am very pleased to report that the fix works. I tested Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales and the trouble spots are indeed fixed."

Feb 24/2020 - "I tested for the reported dropouts using both Emby and Plex apps on the following hardware:
2015 ShieldTV Pro SE v8.0.3(32.5.205.112)
2019 ShieldTV Pro SE v8.1.1(32.7.301.98)
Denon AVR-4311ci
Nakamichi Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 SSE
2015 ShieldTV Pro + Denon AVR-4311ci Results:

No dropout for Toy Story 3 @ 3m30 (jingle of Woody’s cowboy boot spurs may sound like a drop)
Dropout for Toy Story 4 @ 1m14s instead of the reported 1ms12s
No dropout for Toy Story 4 @ 1h1m45s
2015 ShieldTV Pro + Nakamichi Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 SSE Results:

No dropout for Toy Story 3 @ 3m30 (jingle of Woody’s cowboy boot spurs may sound like a drop)
No dropout for Toy Story 4 @ 1ms12s
Dropout for Toy Story 4 @ 1h1m45s
2019 ShieldTV Pro + Denon AVR-4311ci Results:
TBD
TBD
TBD
2019 ShieldTV Pro + Nakamichi Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 SSE Results:

No dropout for Toy Story 4 @ 1m12s
Dropout for Toy Story 4 @ 1h1m45s"

Feb 28/2020 - "This fix does not work in Kodi on the Shield. Kodi has its own implementation and does not use the Shield’s MAT encoder. The Kodi devs are not ready to commit their changes yet due to the wide range of platforms that kodi runs on. They are being cautious in rolling out their fix."

Apr 3/2020 - "Minor PSA/reminder (probably was mentioned before):
Official Plex client in Shield Experience 8.1.1 has the fixes for Atmos time-specific dropouts.
3rd Party players that utilize Plex plugins (such as latest regular release of Kodi, which has a Plex Add-On) most likely do NOT yet have the these fixes. Noticed it today when tried Kodi w/ Plex plugin and had time specific drop-outs in Atmos playback of Big Hero 6 - official Plex client worked properly. Its been 1 month since the fixes have been released in Shield 8.1.1, so might be worth reminding in case someone is testing Atmos w/ troublesome media using something like Kodi or Kodi based players.
Also, fully confirming Big Hero 6 at 4k Atmos 7.1.4 playback is working properly with Official Plex client in Shield 8.1.1 release - just finished watching."
I hope this helps those who are new to this issue so they don't have to wade through the many posts across this forum and others.

Some additional links:
https://club.myce.com/t/atmos-audio-dro ... /399840/58
https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/stuttering- ... code/84361
https://github.com/google/ExoPlayer/issues/3803
Last edited by cipher on Sun May 03, 2020 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
swiftdev.80

Post by swiftdev.80 »

I still have problem with frozen2 uhd. I made new rip using latest makemkv, previous drop issues still exists. I have Nvidia shield 2015 connected to yamaha YSP-5600. , mkv played using VLC in shield
cipher

Post by cipher »

swiftdev.80 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:46 pm
I still have problem with frozen2 uhd. I made new rip using latest makemkv, previous drop issues still exists. I have Nvidia shield 2015 connected to yamaha YSP-5600. , mkv played using VLC in shield
Are you using the latest hotfix for the Shield (8.0.2 3rd hotfix)? That's the one that fixes item 3 from my list above which is the specific timed dropouts on Atmos/TrueHD tracks. You have to request this version from nVidia and you will get it within 1-2 days.

In Frozen 2 you can see examples of this "timed" issue around 19-20 min marks when Elsa is singing "Into The Unknown" and around the hour mark when she's on the beach trying to run into the water against the oncoming waves.
swiftdev.80

Post by swiftdev.80 »

@cipher sorry i do not have that hot fix version in my shield. I will wait for that update and test it then
Adrian_Bonz

Post by Adrian_Bonz »

Hello,

I've just started today with makemkv.
Can anyone please help me how to extract a file (Remux, UHD, True HD 7.1 Atmos)? I already have about 20Movies and only 2 of them display in my soundbar the Atmos. Already tested with some Atmos demos and its working. The only problem is with the torrent movie files (all are Remux 2160p, True HD 7.1 Atmos).
All the help is needed, thank you soo much.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV isn't going to help you with torrent downloads.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging