Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Phrehdd

Re: UHD FAQ

Post by Phrehdd »

SamuriHL wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:57 pm
Phrehdd wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:52 pm
With HDR, is the single MKV file created sufficient for playback (on a 4K tv that supports HRD) via Nvidia Shield TV? Do I need an entire backup of the UHD disc?
An MKV is perfectly fine for HDR playback on the SHIELD. Works in Plex, Kodi with no problems. No need to back up the whole disc.
Thank you much for getting back to me so quickly. Off to get a few more discs taken care of!
mgutt

Post by mgutt »

I'm a little bit confused. In this thread the key files are named as "both KEYDB.cfg and hashed keys are text files" or "KEYDB.cfg or as hashed key". But after I downloaded the file its name is "keys_hashed.txt". Do I need to rename it to "hashed keys" without extension before copying it to the MakeMKV data directory?!

And what is the data directory, "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\MakeMKV"?
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

mgutt wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:08 pm
I'm a little bit confused. In this thread the key files are named as "both KEYDB.cfg and hashed keys are text files" or "KEYDB.cfg or as hashed key". But after I downloaded the file its name is "keys_hashed.txt". Do I need to rename it to "hashed keys" without extension before copying it to the MakeMKV data directory?!

And what is the data directory, "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\MakeMKV"?
If you note the dates on those discussions, they are VERY old news. Hashed keys are now automatically downloaded, if available, when the disc is scanned.

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 854#p75730

Edit: I notice this particular thread is a tad long-in-the-tooth, as well.
mgutt

Post by mgutt »

Thanks. This explains why Planet Earth II was readable ^^

But someone should update the FAQ.
LGans316

Post by LGans316 »

So far I managed to rip about 52 discs (most UHDs and some 3D Blu-rays).

I have encountered 3 failures so far. Thought it was a bad drive but looks like bad discs. What's strange is I had watched these discs in the past in my Panasonic UB820 player without issues. I will be giving all these bad discs a deep clean and retry some of them later and all these discs are US ones (coincidence).
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

While it is not necessary to post a topic in the UHD forum when you send in a file dump .tgz file to svq@makemkv.com, if you do (or reply to an existing one), consider adding the NAME of the .tgz file to your message. The name contains what could be considered a "hash code" of its own, that identifies different disk versions.

As an example, these are file names submitted recently:

MKB20_v70_COSMIC_SIN_AFEC.tgz
MKB20_v72_Spartacus_764B.tgz

A disk from a different distribution may need a different key, and it will generate a different file name.

If you find a topic already started for the title you're trying to rip, check the file name listed - if yours is different, it is important that you also submit the file dump, since it is different than the one already submitted. And go ahead and reply to that topic with the name of the file you submit.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
archer

Post by archer »

FYI, the mail servers for makemkv.com have been timing out since Monday, causing the bounces to svq@makemkv.com

Edit: Just saw the post below from Tuesday, so possibly why

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=25298#p108900
robertzombie

Post by robertzombie »

Is it possible to rip a UHD disc and *ignore* the Dolby Vision layer, resulting in an MKV file with just the HDR video?
Zorro

Post by Zorro »

MakeMKV cannot decrypt The Guns of Navarone (4K UHD) (purchased from Amazon) which was recently released a few weeks ago. Normally, MakeMKV is quite prompt with UHD disc support, but for this release it still shows:

MakeMKV v1.16.5 win(x64-release) started
Using direct disc access mode
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Saved AACS dump file as .MakeMKV/MKB20_v76_Guns_of_Navarone_16A1.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc

Please advise.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Zorro wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:18 pm
MakeMKV cannot decrypt The Guns of Navarone (4K UHD) (purchased from Amazon) which was recently released a few weeks ago. Normally, MakeMKV is quite prompt with UHD disc support, but for this release it still shows:

MakeMKV v1.16.5 win(x64-release) started
Using direct disc access mode
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Saved AACS dump file as .MakeMKV/MKB20_v76_Guns_of_Navarone_16A1.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc

Please advise.
It's all covered in the 1st post of this topic... specifically the Hashed Keys section.
djdude199

Post by djdude199 »

Under UHD Basics, I can't get to the firmware link. It shows up in a russian alphabet. Please advise
Thanks
Boogie2005

Post by Boogie2005 »

Hello, I have sent a mail with my tgz 2 times now. Unfortunately I have not received an answer if and when my UHD BD will work. It is a Pitch Back UHD special edition from Turbine. What do I have to write in the mail so that the ripping will work soon?
Unfortunately, my English is not very good.

See here:
viewtopic.php?p=122479#p122479
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Boogie2005 wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 4:13 pm
Hello, I have sent a mail with my tgz 2 times now. Unfortunately I have not received an answer if and when my UHD BD will work. It is a Pitch Back UHD special edition from Turbine. What do I have to write in the mail so that the ripping will work soon?
Unfortunately, my English is not very good.

See here:
viewtopic.php?p=122479#p122479
Did you read the 1st post of this thread? It explains "the process", ~how long it takes, what might go wrong. Unlikely you will ever get a response to an svq submission email (other than the key automatically downloading when it's available). I believe most of the questions you've asked were actually covered earlier in the thread you referenced.

Here's additional info IF you encounter a problem w/ downloading keys... Fixing Volume Key is Unknown
charnathan

Post by charnathan »

I feel like the first post of this thread needs ton include a statement about the sleep bug associated with triple layer discs.

There should be enough data collected from drive sellers to be able to accurately say which drives have no issue with triple layer discs. From what I've seen, only UHD official drives have no issues, but I don't own ever UDH friendly drive to test out.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Pioneer drives have the least problems.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk