Full disc rip successful but playback with error

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
silvergold

Full disc rip successful but playback with error

#1 Post by silvergold » Sat May 18, 2024 2:50 pm

i was able to rip a star wars revenge of the sith fine with no errors indicated.

During playback, i noticed there was a pause and skip in image for a second. It's not smooth. Like it was missing a few picture frames.

Is there an option in MakeMKV to stop ripping if it encounters missing data due to disc reading issue rather than moving forward?

Woodstock

Re: Full disc rip successful but playback with error

#2 Post by Woodstock » Sat May 18, 2024 3:05 pm

You are actually asking for MakeMKV to do the opposite of what it does... If there was a disk error (read problem), it normally would abort the read.

A lot of times, though, playback has a problem with decoding some frames. Does it always glitch at the exact same spot? Does it have the skip in the same place if you play it with different software?

silvergold

#3 Post by silvergold » Sat May 18, 2024 3:08 pm

i prefer it to abort if it encounters any disc error or ripping issue rather then seeing something during playback.

Woodstock

#4 Post by Woodstock » Sat May 18, 2024 3:19 pm

Which it normally does. A glitch while reading will cause it to retry the read, and abort if it can't read it correctly. It then does a checksum of the contents and compares that with the official (on the disk) checksum for the section being read. No match means it aborts.

The usual request is to ignore such errors on request, but Mike doesn't seem to be giving in to that, after a dozen years or so of people asking.