Mass Disc Defects Anecdote

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
TacticalVideo

Mass Disc Defects Anecdote

#1 Post by TacticalVideo » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:16 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster. A random story I thought people would find interesting here.

Purchased Tenet yesterday and it just would not finish ripping in MakeMKV last night. Kept failing about halfway through even after cleaning. This afternoon I took the disc back to Best Buy in the Seattle area to get a new one. As I walked up the counter the woman working there said, "Oh man another one." Confused I asked her what she was talking about and she proceeded to show me a box of returned 4k UHD Tenet Blu Rays. I would say it was a box of about 50 copies of the movie. Said pretty much all morning she had been getting returned copies with various errors. Said it wasn't just Tenet, but is a very common problem. She said she had been working there for 5 years and that up until this summer she had seen maybe 2 defective discs. Starting this summer she said they probably get a dozen or two a week.

Long story short is seems there are some major issues with discs being made now. A big bummer as dealing with mass returns is just another reason for retailers to shop carrying physical media

P.S. My new copy ripped fine. Can't wait to watch it tonight!

Billycar11

Re: Mass Disc Defects Anecdote

#2 Post by Billycar11 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:49 am

Or uhd ripping is picking up and many people have a bad drive and have to get the best of the best discs for it to work in their bad drive.

I have gotten more bad drives then I have gotten bad discs but I have a way to confirm since I always have like 2-8 uhd drives on me at any one time most people have 1 uhd drive and can't test to see what's bad
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com

TacticalVideo

#3 Post by TacticalVideo » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:48 am

The movie has been our for 24 hours so am either a) way underestimating how many people are ripping movies, I would have thought that rippers would be a minority b) normal people must be having issue just watching the discs too

hansolo

#4 Post by hansolo » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:56 am

TacticalVideo wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:16 pm
Long story short is seems there are some major issues with discs being made now. A big bummer as dealing with mass returns is just another reason for retailers to shop carrying physical media
I think these bad discs are almost always triple decker BD100 discs, which are pretty common now. Quality of BD100s coming out of the factories just isn't high enough. Too many discs are just there near the limits of specification and many are below it. It may work on some player and fail in another player. It may work flawlessly in desktop player, which usually have excellent error correction capabilities, but fail to rip in computer UHD BD/BD-XL drive.

I have to say I do not remember having bad BD50s ever. I remember having few bad DVDs back in the day. One being notorious DVD18 = Double layer both sides.
LG BH16NS55 (w/ WH16NS60 1.02MK) in external enclosure
LG BU40N (1.03MK) in external enclosure
Verbatim #43888 (Pioneer BDR-UD04 FW1.14)

Trout

#5 Post by Trout » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:51 pm

Same experience, I gave up after trying 10+ times, tried 2x speed and multiple soapy water cleanings. The speed and cleanings helped (pre cleaning 40gb and would fail) but the closest I got was about 60gb out of 80 and would error out eventually. Retuned/replaced my BB copy and the new disc completed on first attempt. Best buy took the return with zero issue. I have solved many new disc issues with cleanings before but not this one. My first disc came with a couple tiny tiny scratch on it, seemed like nothing but I think it could not error correct it. Some people can probably fix issues with a good cleaning. I have had to return a disc one other time before this (amazon). Good luck.