Disappointed

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
EricLille

Disappointed

Post by EricLille »

Hi
I bought makemkv a few weeks ago and i have to say that i am very disappointed. Each time i buy a 4k bluray, it’s impossible to rip it with the software. It’s impossible to open the disk.
Even when i send the tgz file, i don’t have any result after several week
Frankly, i think i will come back to the competitors like dvdfab which is much more friendly.
Very disappointed and i wil let everyone know
Woodstock

Re: Disappointed

Post by Woodstock »

Not posting any information to work from makes it "impossible" to guess what the problem is. For example, you could be trying to rip 4K UHD disks with a drive that doesn't do 4K UHD. We cannot know that from what you've posted.
polskasubie

Post by polskasubie »

i started ripping using makemkv in March and I have had the opposite experience... hundreds of blu-rays and over 300 4Ks later, i have yet to run into any significant issues!
EricLille

Post by EricLille »

Woodstock wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:18 pm
Not posting any information to work from makes it "impossible" to guess what the problem is. For example, you could be trying to rip 4K UHD disks with a drive that doesn't do 4K UHD. We cannot know that from what you've posted.
It’s a pioneer BDR-UD04. It reads bluray uhd. I have ripped many uhd discs with makemkv and this player
I have 3 discs having problems (failure to open disc)
Oppenheimer
The fugitive
Megan
How can I do ?
RobbieT1974

Post by RobbieT1974 »

I think you should read this:
viewtopic.php?t=24711

For Oppenheimer not all keys are out there yet.
With really new movies you sometimes need some patience, or submit the file that MakeMKV generated yourself, or both.

It is not the program that is the issue
tresnugget

Post by tresnugget »

I sometimes have issues opening discs on my Pioneer drive. Discs that definitely have keys because my LG drive will open them no problem. Sometimes if I reconnect the drive it'll start working or sometimes it'll start working after 15 min or so.
lawleo

Post by lawleo »

I have similar problem. I have submitted the tgz file, I can read the disc, nslookup success for hkdata.fairuse.org but still can't get the key and after 3 months still no success.

Today I try to use VPN server and trick my system that I am in US... volla .... it works now. So simply changing DNS to 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 is not enough

(I am in AU)
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

There's always the "bypass the DNS lookup" method. hkdata.crabdance.com or hkdata.fairuse.org not found
lawleo

Post by lawleo »

thanks woodstock, setting dns entry in hosts file in both windows & mac work!
Smeash_Bandit

Post by Smeash_Bandit »

I've been trying to burn the Trading Places UHD bluray for several days thinking the HK just hadn't been updated yet. Realized I wasn't able to download the most current list. Turned on my VPN it downloaded and the disc decrypted.
EricLille

Post by EricLille »

Hello
I added the extension you mentioned at the end of the host file in Windows 11
It doesn't work. Should i reboot the pc?
Thanks
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If Windows cannot access the site with the bypass in, it may have a separate block against the IP range. I cannot say, as I've not had a machine with Win11 on it.
EricLille

Post by EricLille »

What would be a solution in my case ? Thanks for your help !