John Wick 2014 4K

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Phe0nix

John Wick 2014 4K

Post by Phe0nix »

From what I’ve read to find the correct playlist it’s advised to search MakeMKV,Redfox,AVforums or BDinfo for discussions on the correct playlist.

There is another dated method using Process monitor along with PowerDVD to find the correct playlist.

Ripping is new to me and so is MakeMKV. When I saw too many playlists to count with this “screen pass” title I hit the forums here . I found a discussion on this title saying it’s 641 on Red and 589 on retail.
I have a retail 4K & Blu-Ray US combo and ripped 589 on the BD and the scenes were off .

I read AnyDVD HD will tell you which playlist it is but if AnyDVD HD was required so many people across the internet wouldn’t be using MakeMKV .
solely.
I installed AnyDVD HD and it said 820,202 were good playlists. Can there be more than one correct playlist?

Then I enlarged the MakeMKV window and noticed I didn’t have a 820 and already knew 589 wasn’t correct for me. Then I noticed MakeMKV automatically detected 202 as the main feature.

My question is, do I need AnyDVD HD at all to make MKV rips ? It seems MakeMKV collects correct playlist information and has updated the program to alert me automatically

Do I need to process my .mkv file to remove protections like Cinavia from my rips?
Ezatoka

Re: John Wick 2014 4K

Post by Ezatoka »

Cinavia cannot be removed. Even DVDfab only claims to be able to do so for certain language tracks.

But... this is not a problem at all, because most software players give a shit about the cinavia protection and will ignore it. Though I cannot give you a list, which players do. "Official" players most likely won't like the Cinavia protected file.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Phe0nix wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:04 am
Can there be more than one correct playlist?
Anything is possible. In my experience however, there's only ever one correct playlist. That said, in North America you'll often find 3 'correct' playlists on Pixar discs (for example). One will be English, one will have French opening titles/closing titles and any signs in the movie, and one will be Spanish.

There's almost always a thread here about a disc with an obfuscated playlist. It might be a bit messy, but someone has probably found the correct playlist. Finding that info in the thread is sometimes hard.
Phe0nix

Post by Phe0nix »

dcoke22 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:57 pm
Phe0nix wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:04 am
Can there be more than one correct playlist?

There's almost always a thread here about a disc with an obfuscated playlist. It might be a bit messy, but someone has probably found the correct playlist. Finding that info in the thread is sometimes hard.
Thank you. It seems MakeMKV is collecting this information and adding it to the software like I’ve read Redfox does. Am I wrong. If that’s the case I’ll only need to worry about new releases or I’ll need to buy AndDVD HD to tell me which one is correct since running process monitor with PowerDVD no long works from what I’ve read
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Phe0nix wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:37 am
It seems MakeMKV is collecting this information and adding it to the software like I’ve read Redfox does. Am I wrong.
As much as I know, no, MakeMKV does not "collect" these informations and send them somewhere. MakeMKV just uses an installed Java and goes through the BluRay menu like a "normal" player would do. And when it selects the main title, it'll get the (mostly) correct playlist.

I think others do it the same way, but give it fancy names like BluPath or alike.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I think in general it is only Lionsgate that has used playlist obfuscation and lately I think they've finally given up using it. I've managed to muddle along only using MakeMKV.