MakeMKV for Windows and Linux Produce different UHD rips

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Woodbeck

MakeMKV for Windows and Linux Produce different UHD rips

Post by Woodbeck »

I have been investigating an issue where I have been unable to play makeMKV UHD rips on JRMC 30.

If I use Makemkv for Windows (v1.17.3) and rip a UHD the uses TrueHD audio, it can be played on both JRMC30 for Windows and Linux.

If I rip the same disc using MakeMKV for Linux (v1.17.3 for Linux Mint), it plays using JRMC 30 on Linux but does not play using the Windows version.

If I run MediaInfo everything is the same on both rips except for the Dolby TrueHD audio track on the rips, I get:
For Makemkv for Windows: English, 2080 kb/s, 48.0 kHz, 24 bits, 8 channels, MLP FBA 15-ch (Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos) Surround 7.1
For MakeMKV for Linux :English, 2080 kb/s, 48.0 kHz, 24 bits, 8 channels / 1 channel, MLP FBA 15-ch (Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos) Surround

So in linux we have the extra / 1 channel and there is not a 7.1 after surround.

I note that VLC for Windows or Linux can play both, but there does seem to be a difference in the audio rip for Dolby TrueHD.

Any suggestions?
dcoke22

Re: MakeMKV for Windows and Linux Produce different UHD rips

Post by dcoke22 »

I have no idea what causes the difference; I don't use MakeMKV on Linux.

However, I speculate that the Dolby TrueHD/Atmos output on Linux is dependent on the particulars of the version of ffmpeg being used. I think MakeMKV on Windows (and Mac) packages a version of ffmpeg with the program, but on Linux, it uses whatever you compile it against on your system.
Woodbeck

Re: MakeMKV for Windows and Linux Produce different UHD rips

Post by Woodbeck »

@dcoke22

Thanks for the suggestion regarding ffmpeg, it led me the way to solving this.

I originally installed MakeMKV from the Software Manager in Linux Mint and noticed that it comes as a flatpack, so it got me speculating that ffmpeg might not be a recent version, even though MakeMKV was the latest.

So I uninstalled MakeMKV and downloaded the one from MakeMKV website and also the latest ffmpeg and then ran through the instructions on the forum as to how to install these on Linux.

Hey Presto! I now works fine.