Creating a dumpfile on Windows

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Spectre-21

Creating a dumpfile on Windows

Post by Spectre-21 »

I just gut the Spongebob Squarepants 4k UHD and tried to extract the mkv through makemkv. Unfortunately it did not work, with the error "volume key is unknown for this disc". So far I get the key is missing and that I can send in the dump so that the key gets created so that I can decrypt the disk.
My issue is i cant find the dump on Windows 11 even after extensive research. Am I missing/overlooked something?
Woodstock

Re: Creating a dumpfile on Windows

Post by Woodstock »

Where did the program SAY it was creating the dump file at? It should have been listed as part of the dialog about not being able to rip the disk.

The file will be the name of the disk, with a 4-character code at the end, and ".tgz" as the file extension.

Possible exception is if your configuration is trying to write it to a no-write area, but even that should be noted on the display.
Monkeylord

Post by Monkeylord »

Also useful to know, the actual message saying the name of the dumpfile created is in fact a link. Click on it and it will open a window to your MakeMKV directory where all generated dump files are stored.
Spectre-21

Post by Spectre-21 »

Hi guys thanks for the input. I managed to around this issue by enabling the vlc integration. Today I tried to rip the new civial war 4k disk and got the same error but this time with a clickable link.

MakeMKV v1.17.7 win(x64-release) started
Using LibreDrive mode (v01.0 id=489CDFD6D392)
Using direct disc access mode
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Saved AACS dump file as C:\Users\XXX/.MakeMKV/MKB20_v77_Civil_War_-_UHD_33A2.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc

I am fairly certain that the link was not present with the two other disc I've mentioned. But either way it's resolved nor and I've submitted the dump for civial war, thanks for your help. :)