Dune Part Two 2 - Ultra 4K - Which .mpls title?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
woodland1

Dune Part Two 2 - Ultra 4K - Which .mpls title?

Post by woodland1 »

I purchased the Ultra 4k from Amazon... trying to back up to media center.

Installed Java, and its showing the FPL_MainFeature as 00800.mpls (72.0gb)... but I tried that and it seems that some scenes are out of order in playback. It shows 17 chapters, segment count 1, segment map: 75

Anyone know correct .mpls?
Woodstock

Re: Dune Part Two 2 - Ultra 4K - Which .mpls title?

Post by Woodstock »

Warner Brothers seems to follow the Disney mold and use 0800 as their normal, English playlist. They use 0801 for a different primary language on some titles, or for an "Expanded" playlist, but 0800 is the "as seen in theaters" version.

Having recently seen parts of this movie last week, it seemed to jump around quite a bit, compared to the original. Scenes seemed to be injected in places where the original just kind of skipped over. The original had a crap-load of stuff cut out from the book, and I'm no expert on what should be where/when, so...
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

woodland1 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 5:34 pm
~ It shows 17 chapters, segment count 1, segment map: 75 ~
If the playlist has only one segment, as you've described, then it can't be a case of 'fake playlists' assembled out-of-order, it must be 'cut' as was intended.

Well, unless somebody has edited and added entire segments that are jumbled, but there isn't really enough capacity on the disc to do that.
Toad King

Post by Toad King »

I would check the language of audio tracks on the different titles. On some WB discs I've found that there are sometimes separate titles that just have English and Japanese tracks while the 00800 title has all the non-Japanese tracks on them (including English).

If there's only one segment then it's highly unlikely the scenes are out of order.
woodland1

Post by woodland1 »

Woodstock wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 8:32 pm
Warner Brothers seems to follow the Disney mold and use 0800 as their normal, English playlist. They use 0801 for a different primary language on some titles, or for an "Expanded" playlist, but 0800 is the "as seen in theaters" version.

Having recently seen parts of this movie last week, it seemed to jump around quite a bit, compared to the original. Scenes seemed to be injected in places where the original just kind of skipped over. The original had a crap-load of stuff cut out from the book, and I'm no expert on what should be where/when, so...
Thanks for the responses all... We went ahead and just watched it all the way through on 0800... I guess that is actually the correct title -- its just not great editing... the result of cut scenes probably.

There's this sequence around 30 min where Paul is sent off on a solo mission in the desert, with a tent, to prove himself... but they never really resolve that line, and at 35 minutes we're suddenly vaulted into a battle scene followed by celebrations and worm riding. I'm guessing they filmed additional scenes and decided to cut them in the edit room... its just a sudden tonal shift and jump without any setup for the series of battles. I assumed it was the case of wrong .mpls