UHD rips are dark in brightness for some reason?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
AkaiGX

UHD rips are dark in brightness for some reason?

Post by AkaiGX »

Hello all!

I'm fairly new to ripping discs and was seeking some help. For reference, I'm using an LG BU40N drive. I've just gotten everything set up and have successfully ripped a few movies. I've got an issue when ripping specifically UHD movies; they turn out dark in terms of brightness! I have used many different playback softwares, but the ripped version is still dark no matter what software I use. Perhaps something in MakeMKV that I have to do in order to not rip them so dark?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Woodstock

Re: UHD rips are dark in brightness for some reason?

Post by Woodstock »

Examples would be helpful. There are a number of UHD disks that have video that encodes more bits, intended to increase the dynamic range, which could affect playback.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

AkaiGX wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:47 am
Hello all!

I'm fairly new to ripping discs and was seeking some help. For reference, I'm using an LG BU40N drive. I've just gotten everything set up and have successfully ripped a few movies. I've got an issue when ripping specifically UHD movies; they turn out dark in terms of brightness! I have used many different playback softwares, but the ripped version is still dark no matter what software I use. Perhaps something in MakeMKV that I have to do in order to not rip them so dark?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Are you watching them on a UHD tv/monitor?
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG + Others) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://uhdenableddrives.com
AkaiGX

Post by AkaiGX »

I am watching them on my LG HDR 1440p gaming monitor. I understand I'm loosing a bit of quality but I definitely shouldn't be loosing brightness. Turning on Windows' HDR in settings makes the movie slightly brighter and more watchable in a dark environment, at the cost of everything other than the movie being dark.
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

EDIT (INSERT): My apologies, the post above this didn't appear until quite sometime after I'd submitted this reply (it must have still been under moderation). /EDIT

When you say "they turn out dark", are you comparing the ripped version to the same movie played on a regular household disc player ON THE SAME DISPLAY?

And if so, which player app are you using (Plex, crAppleTV, etc.)?

What I'm trying to establish is whether you're comparing oranges to oranges... As in, whether something is wrong with the ripped file itself, or whether different monitors/televisions are displaying them differently, or whether "they turn out dark" is just a generalization?

Obviously some movies are just darker than others.
scarbrtj

Post by scarbrtj »

I wouldn't play back with Windows HDR turned on. I would play all HDR files using madVR in standard SDR and let madVR tone map.
Penthious

Post by Penthious »

I also have the same issue, ripped Elf 4k. Normally the snow is a blinding white when playing it on my bluray player, but with the rip everything is just much darker.

When playing on plex and VLC player the movie is very dark, when playing on windows media player it's brighter but not nearly as bright as the disk.
tnuhnivad

Post by tnuhnivad »

What video player are you using to view the files? VLC has an issue which when using d3d11 it crushes dark colors in HDR files. you can try a different renderer or a separate player and determine if it is the file or the player. I have personally been using 5kplayer. You can also try KMPlayer 64X, however I personally ran into odd stuttering playback issues on my rig w/ that one.