Across the Spider-Verse HashCheck Error

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
shadhall

Across the Spider-Verse HashCheck Error

Post by shadhall »

Hey there!

I'm trying to save my 4k Across the Spider-Verse disc - initially it wasn't able to open, so I submitted a new tgz (D5CA). Now makeMKV successfully opens the disc, but copying data always results in tons of errors:
Too many AV synchronization issues in file '/BDMV/STREAM/00001.m2ts' (title #-) , future messages will be printed only to log file
It also shows Hash-check errors multiple times, only to give up after around 40%. The disc looks fine (and is brand new) and also plays well in my blu ray player (well, I haven't watched the whole movie there yet). Saving the 1080p version also wasn't an issue.

I'm using the WH16NS60 drive, flashed to the 1.02 firmware version.

Is this anything that needs to be fixed on the makeMKV side or is there something I can / need to do to fix this?

Best regards
dcoke22

Re: Across the Spider-Verse HashCheck Error

Post by dcoke22 »

shadhall wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:16 am
Hey there!

I'm trying to save my 4k Across the Spider-Verse disc - initially it wasn't able to open, so I submitted a new tgz (D5CA). Now makeMKV successfully opens the disc, but copying data always results in tons of errors:
Too many AV synchronization issues in file '/BDMV/STREAM/00001.m2ts' (title #-) , future messages will be printed only to log file
It also shows Hash-check errors multiple times, only to give up after around 40%. The disc looks fine (and is brand new) and also plays well in my blu ray player (well, I haven't watched the whole movie there yet). Saving the 1080p version also wasn't an issue.

I'm using the WH16NS60 drive, flashed to the 1.02 firmware version.

Is this anything that needs to be fixed on the makeMKV side or is there something I can / need to do to fix this?

Best regards
The AV synchronization messages are just informational and can be ignored. See the relevant entry in the MakeMKV FAQ

Hash check errors are a more serious thing. They most likely indicate that the optical drive could not correctly read the disc. (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15055) The standard advice is to gently clean the disc and try again. Blu-ray.com indicates that Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (2023) is a triple layer BD-100 disc. Those are generally the hardest to rip for any optical drive.
shadhall

Post by shadhall »

Thanks for the information! I tried cleaning the disk several times, so I suppose I'm out of luck with this one (unless I try to replace the disk and / or the drive)...
Dexterous9590

Post by Dexterous9590 »

shadhall wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:43 am
Thanks for the information! I tried cleaning the disk several times, so I suppose I'm out of luck with this one (unless I try to replace the disk and / or the drive)...
I don't think it has anything to do with the cleanliness of your disc. I have 2 drives, one of which is the same drive you are using. Neither the blu-ray nor the 4k discs are working for rip in either drive for me. It's really frustrating.
shadhall

Post by shadhall »

Well... turns out my disk was faulty. I mentioned in the original post that the disk was working in my BD player. I only watched the first 15 or so minutes at the time though. In the meantime I watched the whole movie using my BD player and low and behold, about 50 minutes in (the scene where they sit on top of the building, talk and look at the skyline) the film started stuttering and audio and video were asynchronous for a few seconds. I now got a replacement disk and was able to play the same part of the film successfully on my player. Then I tried to save that new disk with makeMKV and it worked :)

So in this case going the replacement route actually helped.
Dexterous9590

Post by Dexterous9590 »

shadhall wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:03 pm
Well... turns out my disk was faulty. I mentioned in the original post that the disk was working in my BD player. I only watched the first 15 or so minutes at the time though. In the meantime I watched the whole movie using my BD player and low and behold, about 50 minutes in (the scene where they sit on top of the building, talk and look at the skyline) the film started stuttering and audio and video were asynchronous for a few seconds. I now got a replacement disk and was able to play the same part of the film successfully on my player. Then I tried to save that new disk with makeMKV and it worked :)

Thanks for the heads up!! I'm going to see if I can get Amazon to replace mine as well!
Dexterous9590

Post by Dexterous9590 »

shadhall wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:03 pm

Thanks again! My replacement disc arrived today and worked perfectly!
onesleepypanda

Post by onesleepypanda »

Adding my issue to the list here just for any future person who happens upon this thread.

My router was blocking my connection to the site makemkv uses to get disc hashes, adding hkdata.crabdance.com to my allowed list let this disc open no problem.