Avatar the way of water/ John Wick 4

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
unclebubbies

Avatar the way of water/ John Wick 4

Post by unclebubbies »

Trying to back up both movies and I get this:
Automatic HK downloading is disabled or failed.
Saved AACS dump file as
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc

These are brand-new discs from Amazon. Right out of the package. Is this common for a new title?
Is patience needed or do I do something else?
Woodstock

Re: Avatar the way of water/ John Wick 4

Post by Woodstock »

yes, if the title has not been decoded yet, you'll get an error... And as long as your download of the HK data is blocked, it won't be able to fix itself.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
unclebubbies

Post by unclebubbies »

So does this mean someone at makemkv are actively working on discs like these to decode?
I'm new to this and don't know the process?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Given that others have thanked Mike for making these particular titles work, yes, it does.

Your computer is complaining that it cannot contact the HK server to get the updates. That happens for a lot of people due to the server that hosts to update files being in Russia, but it doesn't mean they CANNOT be decoded.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
JohnWad

Post by JohnWad »

Hi all I'm a newbie,
I believe i've read all as to why John Wick 4 wont decode but,,,
I don't see an answer how to fix the connection to the HK server or how to fix at all..

Please be gentle with your answers.. :roll:

Thanks..
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

JohnWad wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:04 pm
Hi all I'm a newbie,
I believe i've read all as to why John Wick 4 wont decode but,,,
I don't see an answer how to fix the connection to the HK server or how to fix at all..

Please be gentle with your answers.. :roll:

Thanks..
UHD FAQ

There's a section in there about hashed keys. And an entry about the message 'Automatic HK downloading is disabled or failed'.
astrocoolin

Post by astrocoolin »

I recently had this issue trying to decode JW4 and Super Mario Bros.
Realized something changed on my ISP's end and its classifying hkdata.crabdance.com as 'Phishing/Other Frauds' preventing it from accessing the SDF or HK
Had to manually allow my device to access it in my ISP's app before it stopped saying 'Automatic HK downloading is disabled or failed'.
JohnWad

Post by JohnWad »

Thanks,, Ok I've read all that info and tried all to correct the issue, but I'm still not getting the same error.
I've ripped this movie before...

Downloading latest HK to C:\Users\johnd/.MakeMKV ...
Saved AACS dump file as C:\Users\johnd/.MakeMKV/MKB20_v61_MARVEL'S_THOR-_RAGNAROK_725F.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc

I'm assuming I'm connecting to the HK server??

C:\Users\johnd>nslookup hkdata.fairuse.org
Server: cdns01.comcast.net
Address: 2001:558:feed::1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: hkdata.fairuse.org
Address: 185.84.108.20
unclebubbies

Post by unclebubbies »

Please understand that I am not computer savvy. I do what I can. I read the instructions posted on this forum and tried to follow them. I added Google DNS server address to my OS. Still Makemkv gives the the same prompts as my first post on this subject. So I went to the John Wick disc and plugged in the blue ray. Makemkv opened up perfectly and I was able to back up the disc? My thinking is that I need to wait on the developers to upload the HK for the 4k disc? I never had this issue before so give me guidance. I sent them the dump for both movies today.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

unclebubbies wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:14 pm
Please understand that I am not computer savvy. I do what I can. I read the instructions posted on this forum and tried to follow them. I added Google DNS server address to my OS. Still Makemkv gives the the same prompts as my first post on this subject. So I went to the John Wick disc and plugged in the blue ray. Makemkv opened up perfectly and I was able to back up the disc? My thinking is that I need to wait on the developers to upload the HK for the 4k disc? I never had this issue before so give me guidance. I sent them the dump for both movies today.
If you're getting this message:

Then your computer can't talk to MakeMKV's servers and won't be able to download keys.
unclebubbies

Post by unclebubbies »

I have backed up numerous 4k discs with this computer. I just backed up E.T. 4 K disc an hour ago with no communication problem with my computer and MakeMkv. So the problem isn't with my system. Maybe the keys need to be updated?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

unclebubbies wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:59 pm
I have backed up numerous 4k discs with this computer. I just backed up E.T. 4 K disc an hour ago with no communication problem with my computer and MakeMkv. So the problem isn't with my system. Maybe the keys need to be updated?
Yeah, you're undoubtedly correct. As I understand it, new keys are posted in batches. Each batch includes all the keys (they're not very big). So, hypothetically speaking, your installation of MakeMKV might have version 37 of the keys, which would be all the keys released up to that point. Perhaps you don't get a new 4K UHD disc for a month or two, but then you do and the key needed for the new disc isn't in your current version of the keys (version 37). If the current version of the keys is 41, MakeMKV knows there are newer keys out there and tries to download them, hoping the key it needs for your new disc is in the most current version of the keys. If it can't download the keys for some reason, it spits out that error message.

But your installation will still have all the keys through version 37. So, if you try to decrypt a disc that is new to you but the key is included in version 37 (or earlier) of the keys, it'll work. MakeMKV won't have to download anything from the internet in the background.

If MakeMKV can download the newest version of the keys, you might still get the 'this disc can't be decrypted' message but you won't get the 'downloading is disabled or failed' message. Then you know the key for that disc has not yet been released (because you have all the released keys because you successfully downloaded the latest version of the keys) and you should submit the dump file created.
RX333

Post by RX333 »

unclebubbies wrote:
So I went to the John Wick disc and plugged in the blue ray. Makemkv opened up perfectly and I was able to back up the disc?
Hi, sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but what do you mean you plugged in the blue ray?

I'm having the same issue.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

RX333 wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:35 pm
unclebubbies wrote:
So I went to the John Wick disc and plugged in the blue ray. Makemkv opened up perfectly and I was able to back up the disc?
Hi, sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but what do you mean you plugged in the blue ray?

I'm having the same issue.
They inserted the BluRay version of the disc into a drive & MakeMKV was able to rip it. BluRay discs don't require an HK be downloaded like UHD discs do, so this is expected. You need to fix the "Automatic HK downloading is disabled or failed." issue to rip the UHD disc.

Fixing Volume Key is Unknown
RX333

Post by RX333 »

d00zah wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:06 am
They inserted the BluRay version of the disc into a drive & MakeMKV was able to rip it. BluRay discs don't require an HK be downloaded like UHD discs do, so this is expected. You need to fix the "Automatic HK downloading is disabled or failed." issue to rip the UHD disc.

Fixing Volume Key is Unknown
Ah I see now. Thought they meant the 4k Bluray. Thx!