Blade 4k 2020 US Release Failed to Open Disc

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
VoidWarhammer

Blade 4k 2020 US Release Failed to Open Disc

Post by VoidWarhammer »

Good morning,

I got the dreaded "The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc"
I tried to submit my tgz file to svq@makemkv.com, but it keeps getting kicked back saying that the file attachment is too large??
I also tried to zip it but there's no compression, it remains the same file size.

Is there an alternative for submitting the tgz file?

Thanks!
Woodstock

Re: Blade 4k 2020 US Release Failed to Open Disc

Post by Woodstock »

How big is the .tgz? It is rare for them to be "too big" for modern mail services, which will typically allow attached files as big as 7MB.
lfoust

Post by lfoust »

I was able to rip this disc (from Best Budy) over a week ago so could it be a problem with your disc drive?

For reference, here is how the discs contents laid out for me: https://thediscdb.com/movie/blade-1998/releases/2020-4k
VoidWarhammer

Post by VoidWarhammer »

Hi, thanks for the fast replies.

The MKB20_v76_Blade_9CF1.tgz listed at 19.5mb.

I have been using two different LG WH16NS40's. One is a year old and the other I just got last month. I get the same result from both drives. So maybe its this specific disc?
I dug up an old, but still functioning, Asus BW-12B1ST from a spare parts box. Its old, and not on the list of approved drives but I thought I would give it a shot. It still couldn't open this disc.
I do have an BU40N ordered and en route but not going to be here until after Christmas.

Should I see about returning this disc or revisit this issue after Christmas when my BU40N arrives?

Thanks again!
VoidWarhammer

Post by VoidWarhammer »

I just got my new BU40N drive in, got it mounted and downgraded firmware using the "all you need" pack.
I just put Blade in and got the same result, failed to open disc.
However this time it made a much smaller .tgz file that has now been resubmitted.

Maybe this disc is just crap. I tried to burn the included blu ray version and, on all 3 drives I have, it comes out missing sound channels each time.
Amazon wont let me exchange it, just refund, which sucks cause I got it on super sale and now its normal price. :/