Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
RESET_9999

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by RESET_9999 »

azreil24 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:29 pm
Just sent over a little something to thank you for your work. Many thanks! :)
thanks man, I appreciate it :D
I gave you access to my RPU collections.
azreil24

Post by azreil24 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:33 pm
azreil24 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:29 pm
Just sent over a little something to thank you for your work. Many thanks! :)
thanks man, I appreciate it :D
I gave you access to my RPU collections.
Holly cow! Treasure! :D Many thanks.

I was checking the DV devices sheet again, don't remember if I asked, but what exactly was the '*quality loss if the movie is FEL' for the LG internal player?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

azreil24 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:38 pm
Holly cow! Treasure! :D Many thanks.

I was checking the DV devices sheet again, don't remember if I asked, but what exactly was the '*quality loss if the movie is FEL' for the LG internal player?
A device that cannot decode FEL and if the brightness is expanded, the result will be wrong (much darker). FEL can also improve grain and details: https://slow.pics/c/XUsLMdXY
see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VObky4peBXE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0J0blslHjY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT1qBQLZIIc

you can also see it for yourself on Windows with the ''Energy player'' or in DV on your TV with the Minion rise of gru samples in my pattern GD link.

azreil24

Post by azreil24 »

Thank you! I also subscribed to your channel, RESET DV sensei :D
aboulfad

Post by aboulfad »

@RESET_9999, can you please take a look at https://slow.pics/c/5bOJ4Mzx ? (Back to the eagle). Those two photos are of the test eagle pattern paused on the ‘original’ version in the pattern on my Oppo. What’s different is that I switched the picture mode on my LG between ‘Cinema Home’ & ‘Cinema user’, where the latter has a DoVi config file applied to it.

I am a bit confused, why would the default LG DV ‘CINEMA HOME’ picmode exhibit that behaviour similar to the shot w the chroma weigh in the test patternt? Maybe not important.
[Oppo UDP-203, ATV 4K] —> Anthem MRX-720 —> LG OLED65E7P
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying that Chroma Weight doesn't work when your TV is in Cinema Home mode?
I see the difference and it is expected that the LG ''cinema home'' mode looks different because it is not accurate and can make the image brighter or darker.
aboulfad

Post by aboulfad »

^^^ Sorry, not sure how to explain & maybe I am confused, so I’ll be verbose.

The LLDV test pattern has an ‘original’ shot of the eagle that it’s thing on top of its beak supposed to look nice & yellow that we all know.
The 2nd shot right after, ‘no chroma weight’ looks bland and not as yellow (green?). If I set Oppo to player led, then the original shot (which I assume has chroma weight), looks identical to the ‘no chroma weight’.

Now, pausing the DV test pattern on ‘original’, if use the mode ‘cinema user’ that I applied a DV calibration profile & changes to 2/20 points, it looks as it’s meant to be. If I use default Cinema Home mode, then that looks very similar to the test pattern ‘no chroma weight’ shot.

Idk if it’s cinema and/or the DV cal file that makes a difference, I can try on the TV usb input once I figure out what this 2017 E7 accepts as file formats & dovi profiles.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

But does it react to Chroma Weight or not regardless of how it looks, is there a visible change? That is what matters.
aboulfad

Post by aboulfad »

Ah… yes it does, meaning ‘original’ doesn’t look as ‘no-trim-chroma-weight’ and I see a change. I thought color aspects (i.e. chroma) were important. When Oppo was in player led, both original & sub-sequent shot were the same.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

aboulfad wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:51 pm
Ah… yes it does, meaning ‘original’ doesn’t look as ‘no-trim-chroma-weight’ and I see a change. I thought color aspects (i.e. chroma) were important.
Then it is normal and this is why one should never use the Cinema Home mode unless maybe if your TV is in a bright room.
aboulfad

Post by aboulfad »

I actually dont use ‘Cinema Home’, rather ‘Cinema’. I was trying picmode ‘DV Game’ & it gave same results as ‘Cinema Home’ for chroma weight, an avsforum user recommended that mode for DV movie viewing over ‘Cinema’.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

yeah AFAIK only ''cinema'' is accurate on LG TVs.

Speaking of Chroma Weight, the latest amazon prime original movie does use it quite a lot. And IMO there's a much more concerning bug with TV-LED where any positive lift for trims offset doesn't work.

JCLG8

Post by JCLG8 »

So on DoVi_scripts it said unsupported codec with truehd, but the truehd and ac3 files were seperate. I think they need to be combined for it to be supported?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

you have to provide more info if you want me to help you.

1- input media info
2- log of the script with ''echo on'' preferably
JCLG8

Post by JCLG8 »

I assume I just copy the text from the command line for the log, but what is echo and how do I turn it on?