Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
noquarter1

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by noquarter1 »

@Reset_9999

I appreciate all the work you've done on figuring out how to play P7 DV on various players. I noticed in your file that you don't mention the Panasonic UB820, which also has network/usb capabilities. Do you know if it's been tested? If not I'd be happy to test it to see if it works.

I've been successful in getting DV to trigger on my x800m2 playing ripped 4k UHD using your instructions. But when I try to play them, I always get stuttering in the playback. Sometimes it's worse than other times. DVD/480p plays back with no issues. Trying now to figure out where the problem lies, whether in my wifi (I don't think so, devices next to the x800m2 are getting >200 mbps download and my server is hardwired with >800 mbps upload), the server (I'm using an old computer, maybe it can't handle serving the 4k UHD file? But there's no transcoding, so I don't think it's this), or the x800m2 itself. I have a checklist that I'm going through today to try to eliminate possibilities (playing a file via usb, moving the wifi router, etc). Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Unknown wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:13 pm
Hi, When I try to convert a .mkv mono layer P7 with 2 atmos track English and French, When I select the option 5 - 3 it keeps me only the English track and ignores the French track I would like to keep, How can I keep the 2 track?
5-3?? you mean just 5 maybe?

Which container your output?

this line?
set mux_all_audio=YES
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

noquarter1 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:24 pm
@Reset_9999

I appreciate all the work you've done on figuring out how to play P7 DV on various players. I noticed in your file that you don't mention the Panasonic UB820, which also has network/usb capabilities. Do you know if it's been tested? If not I'd be happy to test it to see if it works.

I've been successful in getting DV to trigger on my x800m2 playing ripped 4k UHD using your instructions. But when I try to play them, I always get stuttering in the playback. Sometimes it's worse than other times. DVD/480p plays back with no issues. Trying now to figure out where the problem lies, whether in my wifi (I don't think so, devices next to the x800m2 are getting >200 mbps download and my server is hardwired with >800 mbps upload), the server (I'm using an old computer, maybe it can't handle serving the 4k UHD file? But there's no transcoding, so I don't think it's this), or the x800m2 itself. I have a checklist that I'm going through today to try to eliminate possibilities (playing a file via usb, moving the wifi router, etc). Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.
if you can play this file smoothly, your wifi/network is fast enough. Personally, it works like a charm via the 5ghz wifi but my router is in the same room and I don't think I ever noticed a stutter or a dropped frame on my x800m2.
On the shield it's ridiculous. Even with the gigabit port, it drops frames constantly. The shield is really a garbage device.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j0mILN ... drive_link

I never tested the Panasonic UB820 but I heard it can't play DV via usb.
Unknown

Post by Unknown »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:19 pm
Unknown wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:13 pm
Hi, When I try to convert a .mkv mono layer P7 with 2 atmos track English and French, When I select the option 5 - 3 it keeps me only the English track and ignores the French track I would like to keep, How can I keep the 2 track?
5-3?? you mean just 5 maybe?

Which container your output?

this line?
set mux_all_audio=YES
Sorry I got the wrong number, it's 4 -3, Here's an image, set mux_all_audio=YES, is set to YES

RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

ha yes, for the TS version, it won't get muxed because there's no code in the script to add a silent core for non-english audio.
So you'll have to do it manually unfortunately:

1- disable muxing: set MUX=NO
2- run your file in 4-3 , the script will encode a silent core for the English THD track and demux the P7 ST layers
3- change the script language to french
set english=NO
set french=YES
4- run the file again in 8-2-2 or 8-2-1, this will encode the silent core for the French track
5- mux BL + EL + THD(silent core) + subs
Unknown

Post by Unknown »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:25 pm
ha yes, for the TS version, it won't get muxed because there's no code in the script to add a silent core for non-english audio.
So you'll have to do it manually unfortunately:

1- disable muxing: set MUX=NO
2- run your file in 4-3 , the script will encode a silent core for the English THD track and demux the P7 ST layers
3- change the script language to french
set english=NO
set french=YES
4- run the file again in 8-2-2 or 8-2-1, this will encode the silent core for the French track
5- mux BL + EL + THD(silent core) + subs
Works perfectly thank you :D
HotFudge

Post by HotFudge »

Hi Reset

From my understanding the colorist take their L1 Generated DV metadata and make adjustments to the L2 600/1000/2000 nits trims to get the desired look.
Is the L2 100nits auto adjusted or is it also manually generated?

The P5 rpu i have contain L1 DV metadata and L2 100nit trim and either do not match MDL, frames out of sync or even some are just static. Like inception!!

Would it then be better/cleaner to generate a Resolve rpu in all these cases? (Just keeping the L1 metadata ). And grab the bonus HDR10+ metadata at the same time from Resolve

And only keep a WEB DV if the MDl are close and also has L2 600 or 1000 or 2000 nits trims?

Cheers
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

All the metadata levels are generated automatically by the Dolby Algo but then indeed, the trims are adjusted manually by the colorist for most of the movies. The 100nits trim is also adjusted manually because it's going to be delivered for the SDR bluray. The colorist can also blend shots together or copy L1/L2 from one shot to another.

I wouldn't be surprised if the movies with only a 100nits L2 trim were not edited manually though.
Would it then be better/cleaner to generate a Resolve rpu in all these cases? (Just keeping the L1 metadata ).
or better , use my script 3-1 and use the original scene cuts.

I personally go even further, I generate new L1 for movies without 600-1000trims that were done with the old cmv2.9 algo because the latest version of the algo with tunning is a lot superior IMO.
you can read about it here: https://professionalsupport.dolby.com/s ... uage=en_US
And only keep a WEB DV if the MDl are close and also has L2 600 or 1000 or 2000 nits trims?
static MDL metadata is not really important, what matters is the PQ and nits measurement comparisons as I do in my excel sheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
HotFudge

Post by HotFudge »

Would it then be better/cleaner to generate a Resolve rpu in all these cases? (Just keeping the L1 metadata ).
or better , use my script 3-1 and use the original scene cuts.
How do I use the original scene cuts with your script 3-1
I personally go even further, I generate new L1 for movies without 600-1000trims that were done with the old cmv2.9 algo because the latest version of the algo with tunning is a lot superior IMO.
looks like Resolve the way to go. Do you discard the L2 100nit when you generate L1 Resolve metadata? or only discard the L2 600-1000 trims?

Cheers
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

HotFudge wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:51 pm
its all automated but read the instructions on the github webpage for more info: MODE.H (3)
looks like Resolve the way to go. Do you discard the L2 100nit when you generate L1 Resolve metadata? or only discard the L2 600-1000 trims?
The script discard 600-1000nits and keep 100nits by default but you can control which trims is kept or removed

::Choose if you want to remove the 100 L2 trim pass. (only valid for 1-1xml and 3-1) (require the dolby metafier) (default=NO)
set remove_100=NO
::Choose if you want to remove the 600 L2 trim pass.(only valid for 1-1xml and 3-1) (require the dolby metafier)(default=YES)
set remove_600=YES
::Choose if you want to remove the 1000 L2 trim pass.(only valid for 1-1xml and 3-1) (require the dolby metafier) (default=YES)
set remove_1000=YES
HotFudge

Post by HotFudge »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:09 pm
HotFudge wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:51 pm
its all automated but read the instructions on the github webpage for more info: MODE.H (3)
The script discard 600-1000nits and keep 100nits by default but you can control which trims is kept or removed

::Choose if you want to remove the 100 L2 trim pass. (only valid for 1-1xml and 3-1) (require the dolby metafier) (default=NO)
set remove_100=NO
::Choose if you want to remove the 600 L2 trim pass.(only valid for 1-1xml and 3-1) (require the dolby metafier)(default=YES)
set remove_600=YES
::Choose if you want to remove the 1000 L2 trim pass.(only valid for 1-1xml and 3-1) (require the dolby metafier) (default=YES)
set remove_1000=YES
Cheers buddy

Reading the article this looks great! have your tools been updated with this new analysis tuning as it says its in Resolve 18.6 and later?
Which tools have implemented the new analysis tuning?
As of September 2023, the new analysis tuning is supported in DaVinci Resolve Studio version 18.6 and later. Other partner products such as Filmlight Baselight and Colorfront Transkoder will implement the new analysis tuning in their upcoming versions.

Are those changes considered as new Dolby Vision CM version?
No. This update only affects how the L1 metadata is generated and can be considered an update to the existing CM version 4.0.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

yes, my script use the same Dolby algo. You can control the tuning in the script main settings

:: choose the L1 analysis tuning... Choices are: old=0 - Most Highlight Detail/Most Mapping=1(default) - More Highlight Detail/More Mapping=2 - Balanced=3 - Less Highlight Detail/Less Mapping=4 - Least Highlight Detail/Least Mapping=5
set L1_Tuning=1
HotFudge

Post by HotFudge »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:33 pm
yes, my script use the same Dolby algo. You can control the tuning in the script main settings

:: choose the L1 analysis tuning... Choices are: old=0 - Most Highlight Detail/Most Mapping=1(default) - More Highlight Detail/More Mapping=2 - Balanced=3 - Less Highlight Detail/Less Mapping=4 - Least Highlight Detail/Least Mapping=5
set L1_Tuning=1
:D
Hellboy.

Post by Hellboy. »

Is possible to remove DV "Dolby Vision Profile 8 Level 6" from a Remux without encoding the movie?
Thanks.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

yes, workflow 8-1-2