Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
RESET_9999

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by RESET_9999 »

valington wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:05 pm
Hallo Reset looks like DRAG AND DROP don t work on windows 11
viewtopic.php?p=137228#p137228
dom61

Post by dom61 »

@RESET_9999
Thanks for the updated Tools
Zidoo Z9X | HiMedia Q5 Pro and Q10 Pro | ZDMC 20.1 | Remote WeChip | Splitter HDMI HDFury AVR-KEY | Display LG 65B6V | Audio processor Yamaha RX-V775 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Storage Qnap Ts-431K +TL-D800C
My PC Ryzen 7950X
johnjon94

Post by johnjon94 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:40 pm
DoVi_Scripts_1.8.9.1.beta
(3-1) can now generate DV with the Dolby cmv4.0 algo without the need for Davinci Resolve. It can also work without an nvidia GPU.
It can generate frame-by-frame long-play or shot-by-shot metadata. I haven't compared the scene cut detection algo I'm using with the one in Resolve yet.

needed exe (metafier and cm_analyze) can be found here: https://customer.dolby.com/content-crea ... tools-v530
fransalas wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:24 am
Some explanatory manual of how to perform the process with DaVinci
there's an SDR to HDR template in my script tutorial folder that will convert gamma 2.4 to PQ.
Then you have to play with the HDR settings in resolve.
Phantomas wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:12 am
Hello! Please tell me with what software I can change the fps of the Atmos track?
DEE but you should change the video fps instead.
https://professional.dolby.com/product/ ... ng-engine/
Lapihin_A wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:18 pm
Hi RESET_9999! I know how, my question is exactly - Will the HDR10+ metadata work correctly IF! the two videos are different frame sizes? Is there any parameter similar to Level 5 in HDR10+ metadata as in Dolby Vision?
if the frame order is the same, I guess so. I don't know much about hdr10plus
fransalas wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:55 pm
There would be some possibility to add in your tool in the 6-9 the possibility to add or modify HDR metadata such as Luminance monitor mastering, Light level maximum content and in maximum medium frame .. thanks is just to know if you could
6-9 already takes the metadata from the source rpu.
Awesome update. Looking forward to testing it out.

How is the processing speed compared to resolve?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

johnjon94 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:44 pm
How is the processing speed compared to resolve?
the frame by frame analysis is faster because you don't have to do the scene cut detection.
the shot by shot is slower because the current scene detects algo can't use the gpu. It also detects much fewer shots than in resolve & original.
https://www.scenedetect.com/
if anyone knows a good scene-cut detector tool? please let me know.

Here's a full comparison between resolve and the cm_analyzer:

L1: https://slow.pics/c/frlloVtT
L2: https://slow.pics/c/DVh8ttfe
L3: https://slow.pics/c/iu6FypAK

As you can see Resolve + downscaling is still what produces the closest metadata to the original. The shot by shot analyze also boost the L1 number just like in resolve when you don't downscale.
This new workflow might still be useful to people that don't own Resolve.
dapope

Post by dapope »

Thanks for the new tools @RESET_1999. Can't wait to try them out.
But first I want to check that I am correctly diagnosing when files have brightness expanded via FEL layer.

First we have Mission Impossible: Fallout: https://slow.pics/GmtF2CDS/
This FEL file shows a maximum display luminance of 1000 nits in mediainfo, however here it is 4000. We can see the file actually reaches 4000 nits as well in the MaxCLL. So this would be an example of brightness expanded via FEL layer, correct?

Next is Carrie (1976): https://slow.pics/ynAwxGW9/
This is also FEL. Both mediainfo and this graph with RPU/L6 show mastering display luminance as 1000 nits. So this would be an example of a title where the brightness is NOT expanded via FEL?

Note that Mission Impossible: Fallout is not included on your list. But also, for sanity's sake, it would be great to keep track of which titles DON'T have expanded brightness via FEL layer, along with those that do.

Thank you so much for your help!
UNSCTrafalgar

Post by UNSCTrafalgar »

Hi all!

Completely noob question but I've spent a couple weeks looking for the answer and I haven't found one. I have a LG E8 55" connected to a Vizio M512A-H6 soundbar via ARC.

According to the DV Google Doc spreadsheet, my TV's internal player should be able to play the included DV sample files (dual-track and single-track dual-layer profile 7 DV) just fine but it's not. The single-track sample doesn't play ("file can't be recognized" error), and the dual-track sample trips the Dolby Vision tag but the video cycles through a literal rainbow of colors throughout playing it, and the player says the video doesn't support audio.

Played on Plex, the story is slightly different. The single-track sample video does play, but it only trips the HDR tag. The dual-track sample trips the Dolby Vision tag but does the same "rainbow" cycle.

Ultimately, my goal is to be able to convert profile 7 BL+EL+RPU UHD rips to profile 8 .MP4s to play on my Plex, but the only files that seem to play successfully on my Plex (run from a macOS server, played on my LG TV's WebOS app) in Dolby Vision are profile 5 WEB-DL rips. Atmos seems to only successfully play when it's EAC3+JOC DD+. The profile 8 .MP4s I mux together from a BL+EL+RPU DV track and TrueHD 7.1 Atmos do play, but they default to HDR10 and Dolby Digital audio. I'm aware that my TV won't play TrueHD period, so it's not as big a concern.

So my actual question is, is there something wrong with my TV? I've been using the DoVi Scripts v1.8.9 to convert the .MKV profile 7 UHD rips I have to profile 8 .MP4s, but I haven't found success yet. I'm probably just missing something obvious. At least I hope.
Amateur enthusiast 8)

LG E8 55” ——-> Vizio M512A-H6
Trees

Post by Trees »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:51 pm
Trees wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:54 am
Ignoring the bit rate, what HDR offers the best quality? Does P5 DV offer features P7 DV doesn't have (besides a slightly more efficient colour space)? Does P8 (HDR10/HDR10+ and DV) offer any features P5 / P7 doesn't have?
P7 FEL > P5 > P7 MEL = P8 > HDR10plus > HDR10 > SDR

P7 fel is 12bit so it is better than the P5 10bit colorspace.
P8 has the same dynamic metadata but only 10bit colors.

So I was in the right track in the first place. Thank you very much!

Quick question; are you familiar with FFMPEG? I'm trying to convert a P5 MKV into a P5 MP4. Do you know the command for this? I've tried all sorts of options but the DV data seems to get erased, my TV does not trigger DV.

I would use your workflow tool, but I use Linux and it does not properly work in Wine nor in a virtual machine, for some reason...

Bonus question: I'm able convert P5 MKVs to P5 M2TS, which play fine on my TV, but subtitles aren't displayed. The subtitles section of the TVs internal video player detects them, but doesn't display them, is there any specific reason for this?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

dapope wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:41 am
Thanks for the new tools @RESET_1999. Can't wait to try them out.
But first I want to check that I am correctly diagnosing when files have brightness expanded via FEL layer.

First we have Mission Impossible: Fallout: https://slow.pics/GmtF2CDS/
This FEL file shows a maximum display luminance of 1000 nits in mediainfo, however here it is 4000. We can see the file actually reaches 4000 nits as well in the MaxCLL. So this would be an example of brightness expanded via FEL layer, correct?

Next is Carrie (1976): https://slow.pics/ynAwxGW9/
This is also FEL. Both mediainfo and this graph with RPU/L6 show mastering display luminance as 1000 nits. So this would be an example of a title where the brightness is NOT expanded via FEL?

Note that Mission Impossible: Fallout is not included on your list. But also, for sanity's sake, it would be great to keep track of which titles DON'T have expanded brightness via FEL layer, along with those that do.

Thank you so much for your help!
MDL is usually a good indication but you cant only rely on it... The only way to be sure is by plotting DV and HDR10 or exporting screenshots with the dovi baker

EDIT: had a look and FEL does expand the brightness like all the other MI

https://slow.pics/c/x2MdG2tX
Last edited by RESET_9999 on Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Trees wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:55 am
Quick question; are you familiar with FFMPEG? I'm trying to convert a P5 MKV into a P5 MP4. Do you know the command for this? I've tried all sorts of options but the DV data seems to get erased, my TV does not trigger DV.
no idea.
Bonus question: I'm able convert P5 MKVs to P5 M2TS, which play fine on my TV, but subtitles aren't displayed. The subtitles section of the TVs internal video player detects them, but doesn't display them, is there any specific reason for this?
because they are PGS, you need external SRT.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

UNSCTrafalgar wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:17 am
Hi all!

Completely noob question but I've spent a couple weeks looking for the answer and I haven't found one. I have a LG E8 55" connected to a Vizio M512A-H6 soundbar via ARC.

According to the DV Google Doc spreadsheet, my TV's internal player should be able to play the included DV sample files (dual-track and single-track dual-layer profile 7 DV) just fine but it's not. The single-track sample doesn't play ("file can't be recognized" error), and the dual-track sample trips the Dolby Vision tag but the video cycles through a literal rainbow of colors throughout playing it, and the player says the video doesn't support audio.

Played on Plex, the story is slightly different. The single-track sample video does play, but it only trips the HDR tag. The dual-track sample trips the Dolby Vision tag but does the same "rainbow" cycle.

Ultimately, my goal is to be able to convert profile 7 BL+EL+RPU UHD rips to profile 8 .MP4s to play on my Plex, but the only files that seem to play successfully on my Plex (run from a macOS server, played on my LG TV's WebOS app) in Dolby Vision are profile 5 WEB-DL rips. Atmos seems to only successfully play when it's EAC3+JOC DD+. The profile 8 .MP4s I mux together from a BL+EL+RPU DV track and TrueHD 7.1 Atmos do play, but they default to HDR10 and Dolby Digital audio. I'm aware that my TV won't play TrueHD period, so it's not as big a concern.

So my actual question is, is there something wrong with my TV? I've been using the DoVi Scripts v1.8.9 to convert the .MKV profile 7 UHD rips I have to profile 8 .MP4s, but I haven't found success yet. I'm probably just missing something obvious. At least I hope.
Here's my experience with the C8 ARC + PLEX...

1- For dual track DV: The container must be MP4 and muxed with the old mp4muxer/mp4box. (7-2) in the script.

2- For single track P7 DV: Some file will work some others will stutter or produce a black screen.

3- For the audio: It can be DTS AC3 AAC EC3. TrueHD won't work and will force HDR10 or fails to play

4- For the subtitles:
TS/M2TS: only external SRT will work. Any PGS subtitles will fail to play in DV.
MP4: internal or external SRT is fine.
UNSCTrafalgar

Post by UNSCTrafalgar »

Here's my experience with the C8 ARC + PLEX...

1- For dual track DV: The container must be MP4 and muxed with the old mp4muxer/mp4box. (7-2) in the script.

2- For single track P7 DV: Some file will work some others will stutter or produce a black screen.

3- For the audio: It can be DTS AC3 AAC EC3. TrueHD won't work and will force HDR10 or fails to play

4- For the subtitles:
TS/M2TS: only external SRT will work. Any PGS subtitles will fail to play in DV.
MP4: internal or external SRT is fine.
Thanks for the help! A few follow-up questions:

The 7-2 script flow says it's for single-track output for older LG TVs. I tried it anyway and selected to convert the RPU to profile 8 and convert the TrueHD audio to DD+. The video track conversion seemed to have gone fine but I got multiple errors when trying to convert the audio:

Code: Select all

Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (pcm_s24le (native) -> eac3 (eac3_eae))
Press [q] to stop, [?] for help
Output #0, eac3, to 'C:\Users\UNSCTrafalgar\Downloads\Movie_Convert\DoVi_Scripts_TOOLS\TEMP_folder\a1.eac3':
  Metadata:
    encoder         : Lavf58.65.101
    Stream #0:0: Audio: eac3, 48000 Hz, 7.1, flt (24 bit), 128 kb/s
    Metadata:
      encoder         : Lavc58.117.101 eac3_eae
[eac3_eae @ 000001dd2d922000] EAE timeout! EAE not running, or wrong folder? Could not read 'C:\Users\UNSCTrafalgar\Downloads\Movie_Convert\DoVi_Scripts_TOOLS\\EAE\Convert to Dolby Digital Plus (Max Quality - 1024 kbps)\frame-16372-0-0.ec3'
[eac3_eae @ 000001dd2d922000] error reading output
Audio encoding failed
[eac3_eae @ 000001dd2d922000] EAE timeout! EAE not running, or wrong folder? Could not read 'C:\Users\UNSCTrafalgar\Downloads\Movie_Convert\DoVi_Scripts_TOOLS\\EAE\Convert to Dolby Digital Plus (Max Quality - 1024 kbps)\frame-16372-0-1.ec3'
Conversion failed!
ERROR: The process "EasyAudioEncoder.exe" not found.
Later on, when the RPU was converted and injected, I got the following error. I think this is when the script tried to mux the audio track into the file:

muxing into a MP4 DoVi file. Be patient, it can take a while. 40min+ on slow HDD!
IsoMedia import 1.mp4 - track ID 1 - Video (size 3840 x 1608)
[FileIn] Asked to read 5000 but got only 0
[FileIn] IO error EOF found after reading 0 bytes but file C:\Users\UNSCTrafalgar\Downloads\Movie_Convert\DoVi_Scripts_TOOLS\TEMP_folder\a1.ec3 size is 0
[FFDmx] Fail to open C:\Users\UNSCTrafalgar\Downloads\Movie_Convert\DoVi_Scripts_TOOLS\TEMP_folder\a1.ec3 - error Invalid data found when processing input
[Importer] Error probing C:\Users\UNSCTrafalgar\Downloads\Movie_Convert\DoVi_Scripts_TOOLS\TEMP_folder\a1.ec3
Failure while importing import: Filter not found for the desired type
Error importing C:\Users\UNSCTrafalgar\Downloads\Movie_Convert\DoVi_Scripts_TOOLS\TEMP_folder\a1.ec3#audio:lang=en:name=DDP: Filter not found for the desired type
Is there some file I need in the tools folder or some program I need to update?

Finally, going back to my experience with the sample videos, the "RPU FEL TEST DT DL P7" sample video did trip the Dolby Vision tag but the colors were strobing the entire time. Is there a reason for that? Even though it's giving that particular bug, the DV tag looks like progress to me. Again, thanks for all your help.
Amateur enthusiast 8)

RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

UNSCTrafalgar wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:02 pm
The 7-2 script flow says it's for single-track output for older LG TVs. I tried it anyway and selected to convert the RPU to profile 8 and convert the TrueHD audio to DD+. The video track conversion seemed to have gone fine but I got multiple errors when trying to convert the audio:
Is there some file I need in the tools folder or some program I need to update?
Yes, you're missing the PLEX files/folder used for the 7.1 EC3 encoding...
FYI, you'll get better DV playback stability if you use the TS container (Workflow 4-2). Much faster remuxing/processing as well.
Finally, going back to my experience with the sample videos, the "RPU FEL TEST DT DL P7" sample video did trip the Dolby Vision tag but the colors were strobing the entire time. Is there a reason for that? Even though it's giving that particular bug, the DV tag looks like progress to me. Again, thanks for all your help.
It's a homemade rpu test file and the strobing is normal.
thirdmoon

Post by thirdmoon »

@RESET_1999 While converting mkv to ProRes, should I use "propres staxrip template.srip" or "ProRes 422 HQ QSCALE=1.srip"?
UNSCTrafalgar

Post by UNSCTrafalgar »

Yes, you're missing the PLEX files/folder used for the 7.1 EC3 encoding...
Gotcha. I think I'm on the way to getting it right but I'm not all the way there yet.

I installed Plex Media Server and copied the "Plex Media Server" folder into "\DoVi_Scripts_TOOLS\tools". I also copied the PlexTrasncoder.exe file into the same "tools" folder and also EasyAudioEncoder.exe into every folder I can think of. Despite this, I haven't been able to get this error to stop popping up:

Output #0, eac3, to 'C:\Users\UNSCTrafalgar\Downloads\Movie_Convert\DoVi_Scripts_TOOLS\Dune_7.1.eac3':
  Metadata:
    title           : Dune
    encoder         : Lavf58.65.101
    Stream #0:0: Audio: eac3, 48000 Hz, 7.1, flt (24 bit), 128 kb/s
    Metadata:
      encoder         : Lavc58.117.101 eac3_eae
[eac3_eae @ 000001b3190d1180] EAE timeout! EAE not running, or wrong folder? Could not read 'C:\Users\UNSCTrafalgar\Downloads\Movie_Convert\DoVi_Scripts_TOOLS\\EAE\Convert to Dolby Digital Plus (Max Quality - 1024 kbps)\frame-6232-0-0.ec3'
[eac3_eae @ 000001b3190d1180] error reading output
Audio encoding failed
[eac3_eae @ 000001b3190d1180] EAE timeout! EAE not running, or wrong folder? Could not read 'C:\Users\UNSCTrafalgar\Downloads\Movie_Convert\DoVi_Scripts_TOOLS\\EAE\Convert to Dolby Digital Plus (Max Quality - 1024 kbps)\frame-6232-0-1.ec3'
Conversion failed!
ERROR: The process "EasyAudioEncoder.exe" not found.
mkvmerge v78.0 ('Running') 64-bit
Error: The type of file 'C:\Users\UNSCTrafalgar\Downloads\Movie_Convert\DoVi_Scripts_TOOLS\Dune_7.1.ec3' could not be recognized.
What content do I need to be putting where? I'm at a loss here. Thanks again for your help so far.
Amateur enthusiast 8)

RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

UNSCTrafalgar wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:08 am

What content do I need to be putting where? I'm at a loss here.
all the tools are available on the dovi script GD link. download , extract and run the bat file.
thirdmoon wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:43 am
@RESET_1999 While converting mkv to ProRes, should I use "propres staxrip template.srip" or "ProRes 422 HQ QSCALE=1.srip"?
"propres staxrip template.srip" has qscale to 4 if I remember correctly. Both are fine but qscale=4 will be faster and take less HDD space