Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
RESET_9999

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by RESET_9999 »

lexyz wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:11 pm

Nice test, thx :)
It seems UBP-X700 and Z9X (with VS10) aswell ignore chroma_weight trim in LLDV mode

https://slow.pics/c/8mQsP8E2

ref from Vincent's video https://ibb.co/L55yvNv

And yeah, I've seen your comment under video and can confirm the same with my equipment.

Anyway UBP-X700 tonemapp everything to 4000nit target in DV, thats cause noticable brightness loss for content < 4000 nit.
The infamous dim dolby vision from external sources on Sony's TV.
yes exactly but this is not really a problem since 95% of the movie I tested NEVER use trim chroma_weight. Vincent should have tested real content before starting this lldv bug drama. The spears and munsil clip just happen to use chroma weight intensely. FYI, you can find out if it is used with my script (2-6):

EG of a recent movie that use it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/178p2Dh ... share_link
You can search ''Chroma'' in this list to find more: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/fold ... KFJwFxnDt-

Now, where it gets strange:
LG C2 internal player, chroma weight also doesn't work and looks like LLDV.
x700 + LG C2 TV-LED = chroma weight doesn't work and looks exactly like LLDV
firestick 4k MAX + C2 TV-LED = chroma weight WORKS!!! wtf?
https://slow.pics/c/HOZeP8Kw

LG C8 internal player = chroma weight works
LG C8 + x700 = chroma weight works

Chromecast + C8 LLDV = chroma weight doesn't work
Chromecast + C8 TV-LED = chroma weight doesn't work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bokDQzHkEWc
DMDreview

Post by DMDreview »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:30 pm
DMDreview wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:40 am
But it will not apply the dynamic data, even L1, or they will be prescribed so as not to interfere with the current characteristics of the film. Is this possible to do?
I want to understand if the dynamic data is to blame, or if the DV processing itself is defective.
The problem in my opinion is most likely something the Shield does wrong outside of the Dolby black box engine since its the only device with this particular problem.

Thanks.
I think so too, I have confirmation of this theory.
But I want to put together all the available information, so as not to make a mistake.
skull88

Post by skull88 »

DMDreview wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:32 pm
RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:30 pm
DMDreview wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:40 am
But it will not apply the dynamic data, even L1, or they will be prescribed so as not to interfere with the current characteristics of the film. Is this possible to do?
I want to understand if the dynamic data is to blame, or if the DV processing itself is defective.
The problem in my opinion is most likely something the Shield does wrong outside of the Dolby black box engine since its the only device with this particular problem.

Thanks.
I think so too, I have confirmation of this theory.
But I want to put together all the available information, so as not to make a mistake.
This is encouraging and I wish you only the best sir!! I'll try and assist when I'm able, I really do hope Nvidia would listen and fix it if you're able to come to some conclusion. Cheers!
lexyz

Post by lexyz »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:11 pm
Heh, true. It's interesting and confusing since as assumed TV-led should do all processing on TV side
My guess is player software (internal or external) somehow doesn't pass all trims to DV engine or do so in incompatible manner.
That means there is far-far more inconsistency with DV processing than we know. :shock:
Sadly Dolby doesn't give a s.. about quality control on end-user devices. :D
Bravia XF90, Shield TV Pro'19, UBP-X700
skull88

Post by skull88 »

lexyz wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:06 am
RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:11 pm
Heh, true. It's interesting and confusing since as assumed TV-led should do all processing on TV side
My guess is player software (internal or external) somehow doesn't pass all trims to DV engine or do so in incompatible manner.
That means there is far-far more inconsistency with DV processing than we know. :shock:
Sadly Dolby doesn't give a s.. about quality control on end-user devices. :D
Hmm, while I do wish the standards were more strict or followed by at least major companies making playback devices, you're not suggesting Dolby somehow enforce quality control or strict specifications on anyone who is willing to pay them for a DoVi license, are you? That would be completely irrational from a business point of view and companies would end up just dropping DV support in cases where it costs too much or just not in their best interest (e.g. Samsung, Disney already do this). I actually think this almost happened in the early days, and Dolby responded and provided incentives and support to woo licensees and win over the likes of Apple, despite many critics and experts shouting about HDR10+ obviously being better (reminds me of HD-DVD, except HDR10+ survived and almost solely because of Samsung).

We have to remember, Dolby isn't in the business of making consumer devices. Otherwise, we would already have a golden standard in DV playback hardware with their logo slapped on it (e.g. Dolby Media Streamer Platinum X5, Dolby Vision UHD BD Player X9 w/ FEL 10K nits support), and maybe it would be expensive and work perfectly, but almost certainly, it would mean a handicap of other competing players who license DV (i.e. no FEL support), maybe a hard cease and desist on anything like dovi_tool or makeMKV, and possibly even huge division in the industry on what HDR standards are supported and by whom. Ultimately, how it is now, as imperfect as it is, is pretty damn good, even if we discover inconsistency in playback in some cases, or downright incorrect processing in edge cases. At least us geeks get to play around in this HDR/DV sandbox! Practically speaking, the average person being able to buy a Chromecast or AppleTV and enjoy DV without thinking about it, is a good outcome. Will it ever be perfect? Of course not. However, most folks don't even modify their TV settings, let alone care or understand anything about MEL, FEL, nits, or metadata flags.

Extra thoughts -- It's interesting to remember a time where DV was spoken about like some niche, proprietary tech that would not take off, and HDR10+ would obviously win, but it never happened. I think Dolby's support, cinema projection offerings, simple licensing, and consistency with the spec (e.g. v4.0 not breaking v2.9 workflows and industry software/partners like Amazon, Adobe, Davinci, RED, Netflix etc. supporting it), not to mention documentation, training, and tools they offer to partners/licensees, are all key factors, as to why it is so prevalent now. In the long run, the industry will change, through a mix of a) organically through competition or new tech innovations, b) through consortiums and specs groups, c) studio and company decisions (e.g. Apple creating their own HDR standard that is better), and d) consumer preferences. I hope a) is the primary driver, but as long as people keep buying the cheaper devices that exist en masse, quality (control) will remain tied to consumer economics and preferences, not the wishes of forum-dwellers like us. :)
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

I bet chroma weight works in LLDV on the FireTV stick 4k max because clearly, it has the latest version of the Dolby engine since its the only device that can do L11.
Now I wonder if you buy a shield right now, do you get a more recent version of the algo? I bought mine in 2019.
FonduemangVI

Post by FonduemangVI »

Hey RESET_9999 what is the best way to contact you? I don't see you around on the IRCs I frequent.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

FonduemangVI wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:17 pm
Hey RESET_9999 what is the best way to contact you? I don't see you around on the IRCs I frequent.
hi, just pm me
skull88

Post by skull88 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:09 pm
I bet chroma weight works in LLDV on the FireTV stick 4k max because clearly, it has the latest version of the Dolby engine since its the only device that can do L11.
Now I wonder if you buy a shield right now, do you get a more recent version of the algo? I bought mine in 2019.
That's a valid question, but wouldn't they just do it through software update for all existing Shield Pro 2019? Unfortunately, I haven't read anything about a new revision of the Shield Pro 2019 being around for the past couple years, at least I think it would pop-up on Reddit or official forum: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... ield-tv/9/

My guess is Nvidia devs are wayyy too busy and all hands on deck with all of their AI, supercomputer, datacentre, and GPU business, and there's nobody interested in testing/updating/improving Shield Pro 2019 DV support. But I hope I'm wrong and they'll maybe even fix the red push if DMDreview helps debug it.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

yeah, I mean maybe they just use a more recent Dolby SDK.

If anyone bought a shield recently, please try quietvoid L11 test file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OwS0Te ... share_link
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

I doubt it matters. The FTV Stick 4K Max also got CM v4.0 support through firmware upgrades.
AFAIK devices that support Dolby Vision in Android always bundle Dolby's proprietary library, and I guess it's not always kept up to date.
FonduemangVI

Post by FonduemangVI »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:43 pm
FonduemangVI wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:17 pm
hi, just pm me
Right will do once I am actually allowed to send PMs haha
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

FonduemangVI wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:07 am
Right will do once I am actually allowed to send PMs haha
3 more posts and you will be able to (I think) :)
lexyz

Post by lexyz »

RESET_9999
I'd like to notice that "RPU p8.1 L1.L2_cmv29.Edited.3696" test triggers picture adjustments for all trims except probably ms_weight on ShieldTV+Bravia in LLDV mode.
Not sure what ms_weight should change and where to look.
Other versions of L1.L2_cmv29 doesn't work on ShieldTV in LLDv properly.

L11 remains the same, without adjustments.
Bravia XF90, Shield TV Pro'19, UBP-X700
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

damn this is so strange... So 4000nits content works but not 1000nits.