Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
quietvoid

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by quietvoid »

aboulfad wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:40 pm
quietvoid wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:47 pm

The only time the BL is full range is if it's profile 5.
My question was how can the range be checked for a Dovi P5 BL or another profile aside from inspecting metadata? Sorry if it was unclear.

Aside from RPU metadata full range flag, is there a tool or some means that can confirm that the video stream/contents are indeed full range for a P5? I shared above the ffprobe technique. Thanks.
Not reliably by looking at MediaInfo or FFprobe because some aren't flagged as full range.
So analysing frames should work I guess.
tjreis2

Post by tjreis2 »

Hello @ RESET_9999!

I recently bought a sony x800m2 and I wanted to test if the player is playing FEL DV files correctly over network.

I tried looking at the files in your signature but the Power Rangers file is in MP4, which to my understanding, does not work over network.

Do you have any file that I can use to test this?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

tjreis2 wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:03 pm
Hello @ RESET_9999!

I recently bought a sony x800m2 and I wanted to test if the player is playing FEL DV files correctly over network.

I tried looking at the files in your signature but the Power Rangers file is in MP4, which to my understanding, does not work over network.

Do you have any file that I can use to test this?
right, MP4 files don't work via the network. Did you try to remux it to TS?
chrisdm

Post by chrisdm »

Hi @RESET_9999,

Thank you for your Dolby Vision scripts, these things are pretty sick mate.

I am trying to use them as there are some WEB-DLs of a Disney+ show my wife and I like to watch, however the releases for the show are in 4K HDR and 4K Dolby Vision exclusively, there isn't a hybrid release with both sets of metadata. After watching your tutorial vids (as they are slightly old and differ a bit from your current scripts), I assume the workflow I want to use is:
---------------
1) MODE.I= DoVi Convert/Edit/Sync/Inject two inputs (P8 Hybrid maker)
1) Workflow.1= Base Layer file + ST P5/P8/P7 DoVi file (can also mux and convert audio)

(Drag and drop the HDR release, then the DV release)
---------------
After this is where some options differ from your tutorial clip. I assume I should be choosing 'no' for L6 edit, then the next option I am confused on what to choose. Should I be using duplicate or remove for re-sync the RPU? On my own try I didn't choose either and it spit out an MKV with what looks like both HDR and DV metadata when inspecting with MediaInfo, however I haven't had a chance yet to try it on my TV.

Would you be able to just confirm what I should be choosing for the re-sync RPU prompt if I want to just make a hybrid WEB-DL from the same P2P group that released separate DV and HDR releases?
tjreis2

Post by tjreis2 »

I did but the file didn't open. Weirdly enough, when I open the MP4 it does work and displays the credits in bright white instead of grey, but maybe it's something because of the Dolby Vision on toggle...
aboulfad

Taking screenshots

Post by aboulfad »

Sorry for this basic Q, what equipment or tools would be required to take DoVi/HDR screenshots: media/blu-ray player to TV ? not using a camera : ) & TV doesn't allow screenshots when in DoVi.

For PC based tools, I realize that one can use a ffmpeg or mpv,... I couldn't try mpv as it seems gpu-next is not supported or possible on macOS to properly decode DoVi (&P5). Does mpv/Win properly/adequately decode P5? Thank you.
[Oppo UDP-203, ATV 4K] —> Anthem MRX-720 —> LG OLED65E7P
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

chrisdm wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:15 pm
Hi @RESET_9999,

I am trying to use them as there are some WEB-DLs of a Disney+ show my wife and I like to watch, however the releases for the show are in 4K HDR and 4K Dolby Vision exclusively, there isn't a hybrid release with both sets of metadata. After watching your tutorial vids (as they are slightly old and differ a bit from your current scripts), I assume the workflow I want to use is:
---------------
1) Workflow.1= Base Layer file + ST P5/P8/P7 DoVi file (can also mux and convert audio)

---------------
After this is where some options differ from your tutorial clip. I assume I should be choosing 'no' for L6 edit, then the next option I am confused on what to choose. Should I be using duplicate or remove for re-sync the RPU? On my own try I didn't choose either and it spit out an MKV with what looks like both HDR and DV metadata when inspecting with MediaInfo, however I haven't had a chance yet to try it on my TV.

Would you be able to just confirm what I should be choosing for the re-sync RPU prompt if I want to just make a hybrid WEB-DL from the same P2P group that released separate DV and HDR releases?
yes (1-1) is the hybrid maker workflow and no need to resync nor edit L6/L5 if both versions comes from the same provider, they are most likely the same length (same frame order).

The tutorials are indeed old, I will re-do them when I find some free time.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

tjreis2 wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:28 pm
I did but the file didn't open. Weirdly enough, when I open the MP4 it does work and displays the credits in bright white instead of grey, but maybe it's something because of the Dolby Vision on toggle...
I also noticed that some files without audio won't work as well.
Anyway, I already tested everything, and the x800m2 support FEL(TS/M2TS) just fine via the network.

EDIT:
try this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IlfoXQ ... share_link
chrisdm

Post by chrisdm »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:56 pm
chrisdm wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:15 pm
Hi @RESET_9999,

---------------

---------------

yes (1-1) is the hybrid maker workflow and no need to resync nor edit L6/L5 if both versions comes from the same provider, they are most likely the same length (same frame order).

The tutorials are indeed old, I will re-do them when I find some free time.
Yeah that would be sick. Would you be able to guide me as to which workflow is needed to mux if one is from a different provider? Haven't had that pop up yet but it might.

As well, any plans to make a version of your script compatible with linux? I would love to be able to do this all from my hosted server that runs linux rather than have to download from my home machine, mux the content, then upload to my server. Looking st the script I might be able to convert it to PowerShell so it can run on PowerShell core in linux, but not sure if all tools come in a linux cli version.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

chrisdm wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:09 am
As well, any plans to make a version of your script compatible with linux?
no sorry
Yeah that would be sick. Would you be able to guide me as to which workflow is needed to mux if one is from a different provider? Haven't had that pop up yet but it might.
it's the same workflow (1-1) but you have to resync the rpu to the new BL if needed.
chrisdm

Post by chrisdm »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:38 pm
chrisdm wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:09 am
As well, any plans to make a version of your script compatible with linux?
no sorry
it's the same workflow (1-1) but you have to resync the rpu to the new BL if needed.
So 1-1, then duplicate?
Gatorman

Post by Gatorman »

chrisdm wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:53 pm

So 1-1, then duplicate?

You'll need to find the difference between the two sources. Watch the DV version and find a camera cut. Then find the same cut on the HDR version. Compare the frame count of the two files and duplicate or remove the necessary amount of frames so the DV version matches the HDR version. For example, DV = 120865, HDR = 120895. You would duplicate 30 frames.
More reasons to collect physical media. 2019 Shield TV Pro.
chrisdm

Post by chrisdm »

Gatorman wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:12 pm
chrisdm wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:53 pm

So 1-1, then duplicate?

You'll need to find the difference between the two sources. Watch the DV version and find a camera cut. Then find the same cut on the HDR version. Compare the frame count of the two files and duplicate or remove the necessary amount of frames so the DV version matches the HDR version. For example, DV = 120865, HDR = 120895. You would duplicate 30 frames.
How would I know whether to duplicate 30 or remove 30 from HDR? As in, (if this makes sense) what file is the duplicate/remove applied to?
Gatorman

Post by Gatorman »

chrisdm wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:23 am

How would I know whether to duplicate 30 or remove 30 from HDR? As in, (if this makes sense) what file is the duplicate/remove applied to?
You're manipulating the RPU. So you need to remove or duplicate the DV source to match the HDR source.
More reasons to collect physical media. 2019 Shield TV Pro.
chrisdm

Post by chrisdm »

Gatorman wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:47 am
chrisdm wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:23 am

You're manipulating the RPU. So you need to remove or duplicate the DV source to match the HDR source.
That makes perfect sense, I'll give that a go should I need to! Thank you for the help mate, appreciate it. I'll try and automate this part instead of comparing both videos side by side to get the matching frame, I should be able to figure out how to do this programatically.