Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
gacopl

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

#6301 Post by gacopl » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:04 pm

rosavanwinkle wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:03 pm
Trying to get the script to work in ubuntu with wine,which seems like it launches etc. but it prepressed some buttons it seems every time i start it even though i havent pressed any yet
anyone has experience in running this in ubuntu?
If you run Ubuntu you should really check this out https://github.com/gacopl/dvmkv2mp4/ it's fully automatic

comorla45

#6302 Post by comorla45 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:04 pm

All right, I understand. Thank you.

gacopl

#6303 Post by gacopl » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm

Hi there

I have released new version of dvmkv2mp4 with some new goodies enjoy
https://github.com/gacopl/dvmkv2mp4

HDR10+ Support
HDR10+ Source verification
Better tracks lang parsing
New parameters support - to keep old behaviour run with dvmkv2mp4 --langs und,pol,eng -r -a
Fix EAC3 bitrate was too high for MP4Box
Local PGS2SRT instead of docker as its faster

rosavanwinkle

#6304 Post by rosavanwinkle » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:45 pm

gacopl wrote:If you run Ubuntu you should really check this out https://github.com/gacopl/dvmkv2mp4/ it's fully automatic
Problem is i dont have sudo access its a seedbox,so it needs to be scripts like resets that dont require installation etc.
and i use M2ts raw files so ill just stick to download and reupload it everytime for now :/ but ty!
Mediaplayer: Nvidia Shield TV Pro
TV: LG 55SK7900PLA
Soundbar: LG SK8 (not LG SK8Y)
plex pass user
Discord:Rosa#1111

hell001

#6305 Post by hell001 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:53 am

Glad to see this thread still active.

I was hoping someone could educate me.

I am working on hybridizing some HDR-only files (both UHD Bluray and 2160p WEBDL) with their corresponding 2160p WEBDL DV-only counterparts. So I have these scenarios:
  • 4K Bluray Remux HDR-only + 4K WEBDL DV-only
  • 4K WEBDL HDR-only + 4K WEBDL DV-only
In these scenarios, as we all know, the WEBDLs are Profile 5, and after being injected into the HDRs, they become Profile 8 (8.1?).

I have some questions about this:
  1. Is this a reversible process? As in if I had the hybrid file, could I revert back to HDR-only and DV-only files? Or would I have need to kept the separated files if I wanted them split again? If it's possible, could someone provide some script examples?
  2. There are many different TVs and streaming clients. From what I understand, some of them either do or don't support Profile 5. Or Profile 7. Or Profile 8. If I was using a client that does not support Profile 8, wouldn't I be out of luck with the hybrid file even though it has DV? Whereas I could have actually been watching in DV if I had just used the DV-only Profile 5 file? So it's not like creating these hybrid files is the one-size-fits-all solution and it is NOT safe to assume that after this process we will always be watching in DV, right?
  3. Related to the above, I am interested in hearing some of your setups that take advantage of this hybrid process where the comments in my previous question are not an issue. What do you do in scenarios where it doesn't play in DV?

FubbAyH

#6306 Post by FubbAyH » Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:58 pm

Those are all good questions @hell001
hell001 wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:53 am
Is this a reversible process? As in if I had the hybrid file, could I revert back to HDR-only and DV-only files? Or would I have need to kept the separated files if I wanted them split again? If it's possible, could someone provide some script examples?
You can get back the HDR10-only file from the hybrid, but not the DV-only file. The reason for that is a P8 hybrid takes everything from the HDR10 file and then adds only part of the DV file. The part that's added is called the RPU, and is the precious DV metadata, and so we extract that out, and then discard the rest of the video information from the DV-only source file.
hell001 wrote:
There are many different TVs and streaming clients. From what I understand, some of them either do or don't support Profile 5. Or Profile 7. Or Profile 8. If I was using a client that does not support Profile 8, wouldn't I be out of luck with the hybrid file even though it has DV? Whereas I could have actually been watching in DV if I had just used the DV-only Profile 5 file? So it's not like creating these hybrid files is the one-size-fits-all solution and it is NOT safe to assume that after this process we will always be watching in DV, right?
Yes, that's right. For me, the point of making hybrids is that it gives the highest possible quality for movies that are available on UHDBD, but don't have DV on the disc. So we extract the DV from the WEB-DL, add that to the HDR10 from the disc, and have the best of both worlds with the high-bitrate video from the disc and the DV metadata from the download to allow your TV to do the best-possible tonemapping.

I hadn't actually heard before of people making hybrids where both the HDR10 and the DV come from different WEB-DL rips. I guess the point of that is if you have a device that can do P8, but not P5? To be honest, in that scenario I would strongly advise just getting another device that can do P5 if at all possible, because they're easy to find and cheap, and making hybrids is always time-consuming even if you have scripts to help.
hell001 wrote:
Related to the above, I am interested in hearing some of your setups that take advantage of this hybrid process where the comments in my previous question are not an issue. What do you do in scenarios where it doesn't play in DV?
@RESET_9999 made a fantastic spreadsheet summarizing the playback device options with their pros and cons, but my personal setup that I'm very very happy with is:
  • Sony X800M2 for P7 rips (where the original disc had DV), P8 hybrid rips (where the original disc didn't have DV), and HDR10 rips (where I haven't been able to find a DV source)
  • Apple TV 4K for P5 rips and all streaming
The only substantial compromises with the X800M2 are that you have to use M2TS files (easy when you know how), you don't get chapters, have to manually turn on any forced subtitles, and have to use Wi-Fi rather than Ethernet because it only has a 100Mbps Ethernet port which isn't fast enough. But those are all well worth it imo for the best-possible-available video and audio quality.

You can swap the Apple TV 4K for something else if you don't like Apple or disapprove of the price, but since P5 is the totally mainstream format used for DV streaming it's well-supported by lots of devices.

RESET_9999

#6307 Post by RESET_9999 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:17 pm

FubbAyH wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:58 pm
I hadn't actually heard before of people making hybrids where both the HDR10 and the DV come from different WEB-DL rips. I guess the point of that is if you have a device that can do P8, but not P5? To be honest, in that scenario I would strongly advise just getting another device that can do P5 if at all possible, because they're easy to find and cheap, and making hybrids is always time-consuming even if you have scripts to help.
I do make a p8 hybrid from p5/hdr10 web-dl because I find it more practical to have an HDR10 BL and I can stream it on every TV in my house including the one that doesnt support DV.
plus I don't really see the difference between p5 and p8 eventhough p5 uses a more efficient colorspace.

FubbAyH

#6308 Post by FubbAyH » Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:30 pm

Ah, that's interesting. I hadn't thought about the case of supporting non-DV displays. I still think in that case I would personally just keep both files, because hard disks are cheap and time is expensive :)

staknhalo

#6309 Post by staknhalo » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:03 pm

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:17 pm
I do make a p8 hybrid from p5/hdr10 web-dl because I find it more practical to have an HDR10 BL and I can stream it on every TV in my house including the one that doesnt support DV.
plus I don't really see the difference between p5 and p8 eventhough p5 uses a more efficient colorspace.
☝️

And less file space taken up vs individual, separate HDR10+DV5 files to alternatively maintain that broad device playback support

Edit: Damn, emojis are humongous on this forum

nekno

#6310 Post by nekno » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:06 pm

That was a good summary, @FabbyAyH. Along the lines of my thinking. I would just use the available options slightly differently.
  • Sony X700 for:
    • P7 rips (where the original disc had DV with P7 FEL) converted to BDMV format and transferred to a USB stick
    • P8 conversions from P7 rips (where the original disc had DV with P7 MEL) remuxed to m2ts or ts, watched over the network
    • P8 hybrid rips (where the original disc didn't have DV) remuxed to m2ts or ts, watched over the network
  • Apple TV 4K (using the Infuse app with a Plex server) for:
    • P5 rips/streaming services
    • HDR10 rips (where I haven't been able to find or create a DV source)

staknhalo

#6311 Post by staknhalo » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:20 pm

FubbAyH wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:30 pm
Ah, that's interesting. I hadn't thought about the case of supporting non-DV displays. I still think in that case I would personally just keep both files, because hard disks are cheap and time is expensive :)
If we were just talking about movies, I'd agree, but with TV show episodes now too in 4K DV5+HDR10, even as cheap as HDDs might be, and at lower bitrates, it's a lot of data to duplicate vs mix into one - at least for me who also subjectively likes to keep everything fitting nice and neat in a Synology 918+ with no extension units (yet) - I'm not doing a full rack or anything on my end.

I also try to combine all HDR formats I can find, so I even try to merge in HDR10+ with the DV5/DV8 if I can find a match.

mehgh750

#6312 Post by mehgh750 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:17 am

FubbAyH wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:58 pm
Those are all good questions @hell001
hell001 wrote:
Is this a reversible process? As in if I had the hybrid file, could I revert back to HDR-only and DV-only files? Or would I have need to kept the separated files if I wanted them split again? If it's possible, could someone provide some script examples?
You can get back the HDR10-only file from the hybrid, but not the DV-only file. The reason for that is a P8 hybrid takes everything from the HDR10 file and then adds only part of the DV file. The part that's added is called the RPU, and is the precious DV metadata, and so we extract that out, and then discard the rest of the video information from the DV-only source file.
hell001 wrote:
There are many different TVs and streaming clients. From what I understand, some of them either do or don't support Profile 5. Or Profile 7. Or Profile 8. If I was using a client that does not support Profile 8, wouldn't I be out of luck with the hybrid file even though it has DV? Whereas I could have actually been watching in DV if I had just used the DV-only Profile 5 file? So it's not like creating these hybrid files is the one-size-fits-all solution and it is NOT safe to assume that after this process we will always be watching in DV, right?
Yes, that's right. For me, the point of making hybrids is that it gives the highest possible quality for movies that are available on UHDBD, but don't have DV on the disc. So we extract the DV from the WEB-DL, add that to the HDR10 from the disc, and have the best of both worlds with the high-bitrate video from the disc and the DV metadata from the download to allow your TV to do the best-possible tonemapping.

hell001 wrote:
Related to the above, I am interested in hearing some of your setups that take advantage of this hybrid process where the comments in my previous question are not an issue. What do you do in scenarios where it doesn't play in DV?
@RESET_9999 made a fantastic spreadsheet summarizing the playback device options with their pros and cons, but my personal setup that I'm very very happy with is:
  • Sony X800M2 for P7 rips (where the original disc had DV), P8 hybrid rips (where the original disc didn't have DV), and HDR10 rips (where I haven't been able to find a DV source)
  • Apple TV 4K for P5 rips and all streaming
The only substantial compromises with the X800M2 are that you have to use M2TS files (easy when you know how), you don't get chapters, have to manually turn on any forced subtitles, and have to use Wi-Fi rather than Ethernet because it only has a 100Mbps Ethernet port which isn't fast enough. But those are all well worth it imo for the best-possible-available video and audio quality.

You can swap the Apple TV 4K for something else if you don't like Apple or disapprove of the price, but since P5 is the totally mainstream format used for DV streaming it's well-supported by lots of devices.
Can you please tell me how to use tsMuxer to create proper BDMV folders from BDMVs ripped from UHD discs? Icannot find any instruction explaining the workflow.
Thanks

mehgh750

#6313 Post by mehgh750 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:20 am

@ RESET_9999
The link to your Youtube video is broken. Can you please share the video once again?
Thanks

Yoshitaka

#6314 Post by Yoshitaka » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:46 am

I have remuxed an HEVC with ac3 to make a dv mp4 but it is stuttering on my C9.. Playing through USB port and flagged as Dolby Vision no problem, no pink video, but just extremely choppy. Stop and start. Audio is in sync too with it..
What could be some problems that have caused this? I've never had this issue before..
Last edited by Yoshitaka on Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RESET_9999

#6315 Post by RESET_9999 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:56 am

mehgh750 wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:20 am
@ RESET_9999
The link to your Youtube video is broken. Can you please share the video once again?
Thanks
the tutorial videos link is in my signature.
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/fold ... L2KFZWTqKr