Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
ragico

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by ragico »

sickb wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:12 pm
My latest report on the X800M2:
- Choppy playback issues seem to be resolved after stabilising my network (replaced switches and reserved an access point). Also I need to make sure there's nothing else gobbling up IO on the hard drives from which im playing movies, obviously.
- I still have it lock up sometimes, which means I need to do a hard reboot of the player
- Even for non disk content, it appears you need to manually change between dolby vision on and off for non-dolby vision content. my HDR content otherwise has raised blacks.
- Connected to my VRRoom switch/splitter, I sometimes need to switch ports back and forth because of otherwise black screen. but this is probably the VRRoom firmware.
- As I find the remote and the navigation in general sub-par, I repurposed a DLNA music cast plugin for Plex, to cast videos to the X800M2 directly from the plex app on phone and tablet, basically fixing my biggest usability concern.
Can you explain how you did this cast from phone?
Thanks
sickb

Post by sickb »

ragico wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:22 pm
sickb wrote:
My latest report on the X800M2:
- Choppy playback issues seem to be resolved after stabilising my network (replaced switches and reserved an access point). Also I need to make sure there's nothing else gobbling up IO on the hard drives from which im playing movies, obviously.
- I still have it lock up sometimes, which means I need to do a hard reboot of the player
- Even for non disk content, it appears you need to manually change between dolby vision on and off for non-dolby vision content. my HDR content otherwise has raised blacks.
- Connected to my VRRoom switch/splitter, I sometimes need to switch ports back and forth because of otherwise black screen. but this is probably the VRRoom firmware.
- As I find the remote and the navigation in general sub-par, I repurposed a DLNA music cast plugin for Plex, to cast videos to the X800M2 directly from the plex app on phone and tablet, basically fixing my biggest usability concern.
Can you explain how you did this cast from phone?
Thanks
I found a python project that supports casting plex music to DLNA servers, and repurposed it for my video needs.
It's a little rough edges right now, but I may publish it in the near future, if there's interest.
ragico

Post by ragico »

thanks. too difficult for me.
FubbAyH

Post by FubbAyH »

sickb wrote:
I've had an issue like that where I get the 'no signal' message on my TV when turning on the player. It was usually fixed by turning the TV off and on again. My player is connected directly to the (LG) TV so it's definitely not something that only happens with switches.
sickb wrote:
Im a little sad about the manual DV switch, but I guess if it really bothers me I could buy a second unit and configure it with it off, then I just need to pick the right cast target based on HDR/DV :-)
My setup is to use the Sony just for DV rips, and to use another box for HDR10 stuff and streaming (I use an Apple TV 4K, but I expect that any of the other good mainstream streaming boxes would work nicely since it seems to be a lot easier to get HDR10 playback right compared with DV).

Thanks for posting your impressions, and I'm glad things are mostly working for you too. For my part, now that I'm feeding the X800M2 files that aren't broken, it's handled every movie I've tried fine. But I have only been testing titles out for ~20 mins or so and shamefully haven't found time to watch a whole movie yet.
sickb

Post by sickb »

FubbAyH wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:19 am
I've had an issue like that where I get the 'no signal' message on my TV when turning on the player. It was usually fixed by turning the TV off and on again. My player is connected directly to the (LG) TV so it's definitely not something that only happens with switches.
Ah damn.. I bound the vrooms hot plug command to HomeKit and Siri, so I can recover without TV restart atm.
FubbAyH wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:19 am
My setup is to use the Sony just for DV rips, and to use another box for HDR10 stuff and streaming (I use an Apple TV 4K, but I expect that any of the other good mainstream streaming boxes would work nicely since it seems to be a lot easier to get HDR10 playback right compared with DV).
Me too, but no HD audio passthrough (Atmos). I also have a Shield pro but im trying to sell it to consolidate and also because of the various color issues even in non DV (if I got it right).
Hence the Oppo 203 clones seemed so appealing to me, as it seemed to tick all boxes, minus the "mkv; to AC3 and back to truehd again" and "run the fix.ts after watching DV ts files" hassles.
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:53 pm
I tested this new tool and it worked very well and this is exactly the solution I was looking for the other day: a way to merge thd with ac3 without encoding the core in eac3to.
Took about 3min for a 2h movie when eac3to usually takes more than 10minutes.(more if clipping detected).
Obviously, you have to demux the mkv first(and ac3 track must be present) but it still faster thanks to my NVME drive (+ most of the time i have to demux the hevc too anyway)
The fact that it can fix the gap from makemkv files is great as well.

I hope it plays well on the x800m2...
It's been great so far indeed. I'm testing it and up til now it has stood up to the promise. Yeah, it's a two way process but I don't mind as I usually do a lot of steps manually. Combined with DGDemux it's the perfect toolset for gap processed demuxing and remuxing with the native Dolby AC3 track. This guy makes great software.

Could you please let us know how it plays on your X800M2? I haven't decided yet on purchase.

Thanks for the script! :)
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

ArArdin wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:22 am
Could you please let us know how it plays on your X800M2? I haven't decided yet on purchase.
yes, it works, and no problem with the 10min I tested.

from the author of the tool:
Glad you find it useful and thank you for your testing. I will release it formally with source code tomorrow. There will be an option to choose what to do if the two audio streams are not the same duration: truncate the longer one or do not truncate it.
I guess we could encode a 4h silent ac3 core and use it for any movie (in case the mkv doesnt have an AC3 compatibility track)
chros

Post by chros »

I guess we could encode a 4h silent ac3 core and use it for any movie (in case the mkv doesnt have an AC3 compatibility track)
That would be really cool!

And waht was tgat fix.ts file?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

chros wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:56 pm
And waht was tgat fix.ts file?
I don't understand ?
susanstone2022

Post by susanstone2022 »

strange. in my testing, thdmerge took longer than eac3to encoding.
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:13 pm
Yes, I'd think so too. Thinking of this new option, any other track that's on the disc? For example, a commentary track you really like?
DolbyVisionFTW

Post by DolbyVisionFTW »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:03 pm
chros wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:56 pm
And what was that fix.ts file?
I don't understand ?
You used to have a link listed in your signature to a file that would fix an issue during playback where the device would lock up.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

DolbyVisionFTW wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:36 pm

You used to have a link listed in your signature to a file that would fix an issue during playback where the device would lock up.
thats what i thought but wasnt sure.
The file is still available in the DoVi test files link in my signature.

@chros, that file will unlock the oppo/x700 for when you play 2 DT-DL TS video in a row.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

ArArdin wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:29 pm
RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:13 pm
Yes, I'd think so too. Thinking of this new option, any other track that's on the disc? For example, a commentary track you really like?
I couldnt make a 32kbps track and thdmerge would not process a 40kbps track but it seems to work at 64kbps. Hopefully, the track still play on my x800m2
here's 4h of silent 5.1 AC3 audio at 64kbps.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19n0b_0 ... sp=sharing

EDIT: it works on the x800m2 !!!!!
Albano

Post by Albano »

@RESET_9999
Now if I want to mux DV P8 .mkv file to DV P8 .mp4 file, what should I do?