Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
RESET_9999

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by RESET_9999 »

FubbAyH wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:26 am
does the X800M2 handle profile 8.1 DV well?
yes
FubbAyH

Post by FubbAyH »

Awesome, thank you! I found a X800M2 in stock nearby so I'm gunna go buy it later and finally join the FEL club :D
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

FubbAyH wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:48 am
transcoding my MKVs back to M2TS!
If all your DV movies are in MKV, you'll have a lot of work to do because you'll have to convert TrueHD to TrueHD+ac3 with eac3to (unless the tsmuxer devs add support soon).
Also, if your profile 7 files are single track dual layer MKV, you'll have(sometimes) to 1- demux the layers and 2- convert trueHD because some ST file gives a black screen.

If you have fast internet, it might be faster just to download the complete ISO and make a new TS.
FubbAyH

Post by FubbAyH »

Thank you, I've just been figuring that out today. I've made a little script now to do most of the conversion and I'm only gunna convert my (~20) DV titles (and keep watching the HDR10 ones on AppleTV) so doesn't look like it'll be too bad. I'm certainly regretting stripping out those AC3 cores, though, now!
FubbAyH

Post by FubbAyH »

Here's what my script looks like, btw, just in case anyone else is in the same position of needing to convert DV MKVs to M2TSs for X800M2 (or X700):

Code: Select all

mkvextract source.mkv tracks 0:stdl.hevc
dovi_tool demux stdl.hevc
# previous command produces BL.hevc and EL.hevc

# if the movie has TrueHD audio (almost all discs) then an AC3 core is required for hardware players to see it as a compliant stream
# the original TrueHD track from a disc will always have it, or:
mkvextract source.mkv tracks 1:source.thd
# a minimal core can be generated with:
#eac3to source.thd audio.thd+ac3 -downStereo -32
# or a decent-sounding core can be transcoded with:
eac3to source.thd audio.thd+ac3
# that runs at about 7.2x real-time, so ~17m for a 2h movie

# use tsMuxeR GUI to mux a M2TS file
# Output: M2TS muxing
# add
#  BL.hevc
#  EL.hevc
#  audio.thd+ac3
#  source.mkv
# set the language of the audio.thd+ac3 track
# uncheck the video stream from source.mkv, and its audio stream if using a transcoded one
# if movie has forced subs then note that in the filename by adding " {Forced Subs}" to remind yourself that you need to turn them on manually, and move the forced sub-only track that MakeMKV creates to be the first subtitle track
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
here's my script(based on FubbAyH, thanks) to demux ST-DL and convert TrueHD to TrueHd+ac3 (and more)
Last edited by RESET_9999 on Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:41 am, edited 22 times in total.
FubbAyH

Post by FubbAyH »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:09 pm
this seems to take the same processing time as converting the core to regular 640kbps 5.1...
is there a way to generate an ac3 core without re-encoding like they are trying to do in tsmuxer? even if the core is silent, I don't mind as long as TrueHD works.
Yeah, I've been trying to figure out if that's possible too. My guess is that because the TrueHD is based on the AC3 core, when you add the core it needs to re-encode the TrueHD too to match? (which I'm presuming is why it takes a while) So maybe it's possible to create a core that doesn't need the TrueHD data to be re-encoded, but I don't know anywhere near enough about the details of AC3 or TrueHD to know :?

Thank you for your scripts too!
nekno

Post by nekno »

FubbAyH wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:04 pm
RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:09 pm
this seems to take the same processing time as converting the core to regular 640kbps 5.1...
is there a way to generate an ac3 core without re-encoding like they are trying to do in tsmuxer? even if the core is silent, I don't mind as long as TrueHD works.
Yeah, I've been trying to figure out if that's possible too. My guess is that because the TrueHD is based on the AC3 core, when you add the core it needs to re-encode the TrueHD too to match? (which I'm presuming is why it takes a while) So maybe it's possible to create a core that doesn't need the TrueHD data to be re-encoded, but I don't know anywhere near enough about the details of AC3 or TrueHD to know :?

Thank you for your scripts too!
Encoding DTS-HD takes in a lossless LPCM stream, encodes a lossy DTS core, and saves the rest of the discarded audio as lossless extensions. When decoding, the extensions are recombined with the lossy DTS core and decoded to arrive at the original lossless stream.

But TrueHD doesn't require an AC3 lossy core; it isn't a required part of the TrueHD spec. When an AC3 core is included with a TrueHD track it's because of the BD spec, where it's required for BD / UHD BD.

TrueHD tracks are comprised of "access units" where the audio has been divided into frames.

A TrueHD+AC3 track has audio frames alternating between TrueHD and AC3. It's just two completely separate streams interleaved into a single track, kind of how STDL puts two distinct video streams into separate NALUs of a single track.

A THD+AC3 track is the STDL of TrueHD audio streams, where a THD track with a separate AC3 track is DTDL.

So if you have a TrueHD track and an AC3 track, you have all of the encoded audio data you need, you just need to remux/repack the audio frames into the correct format.

That's what I understand they're working on for tsMuxer, and there is no other tool I've found that can do it.

eac3to can remux a TrueHD stream into a THD+AC3 stream, but has to encode a new AC3 stream to do it. It doesn't support remuxing an existing AC3 stream.

The mlp tool for accurately/losslessly editing THD streams has an open issue requesting support, but there's no activity on it.
Last edited by nekno on Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:08 pm
FubbAyH wrote:
If all your DV movies are in MKV, you'll have a lot of work to do because you'll have to convert TrueHD to TrueHD+ac3 with eac3to (unless the tsmuxer devs add support soon).
Also, if your profile 7 files are single track dual layer MKV, you'll have(sometimes) to 1- demux the layers and 2- convert trueHD because some ST file gives a black screen.

If you have fast internet, it might be faster just to download the complete ISO and make a new TS.
If I just put the dv mkv file into tsmuxer and press remux to bmdv folder, the bmdv folder is still generated. But will that work?
nekno

Post by nekno »

deadchip12 wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:39 am
RESET_9999 wrote:
FubbAyH wrote:

If I just put the dv mkv file into tsmuxer and press remux to bmdv folder, the bmdv folder is still generated. But will that work?
He listed the exceptions.

If you have DTS-HD/DTS/EAC3/AC3 audio, remuxing to BDMV will work. If you want TrueHD audio you have to use eac3to to make THD+AC3 audio first. (If your mkv has both TrueHD and AC3 streams, tsMuxer should support remuxing to THD+AC3 in the future, but not today.)

If you have P7 in mkv, that will be STDL. For some files you may need to demux the video to DTDL with dovi_tool first.
sickb

Post by sickb »

RESET_9999 wrote:
FubbAyH wrote:

Is there a way to have a ts file that plays well in both, x800m2 and Nvidia shield just player?
My makemkv stdl converted with tsmuxer to ts, only plays in hdr :/
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

sickb wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:45 am
Is there a way to have a ts file that plays well in both, x800m2 and Nvidia shield just player?
My makemkv stdl converted with tsmuxer to ts, only plays in hdr :/
only HDR10, that's strange.
With TS ST-DL files I get DV or a black screen with some files but never HDR10.
I stopped using ST-DL because a lot of FEL files don't play. ( all the MEL 2mbps bitrate also fails to play)
sickb

Post by sickb »

only hdr10 - on shield tv.

btw im trying to find the most recent working links of your/the test files, but can't seem to find them.
I got the X800M2 today, all my content so far says Dolby Vision BT.2020 YCbCr 4:2:0/10bit,
is that supposed to show 12bit if FEL is applied properly?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

sickb wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:49 pm
only hdr10 - on shield tv.

btw im trying to find the most recent working links of your/the test files, but can't seem to find them.
I got the X800M2 today, all my content so far says Dolby Vision BT.2020 YCbCr 4:2:0/10bit,
is that supposed to show 12bit if FEL is applied properly?
oh, I see... It's been a while since I played a movie on my Shield but last time I checked. ST-DL TS played fine with PLEX as long as you don't use PGS subtitles ( external SRT is fine)
Dolby Vision BT.2020 YCbCr 4:2:0/10bit is the input signal info of the BL + DV.
I didn't connect my vertex yet but I assume that this player reports for the HDMI output:
1-Dolby vision for TV-LED
2-Dolby vision 422 12bit for player-led

the test files link is in my signature.
ST-DL fel test = passed
DT-Dl fel test = passed

btw, the movies don't have to be in your windows library, you can start any movie from your PC.

sickb

Post by sickb »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:03 pm
The interesting part is that the DT-DL doesn't play at all, black screen on my X800M2.
Neither via Universal Media Server
Last edited by sickb on Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.