Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
bobbymkV

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by bobbymkV »

ArArdin wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:08 pm
bobbymkV wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:52 pm
Ugoos owners, what method are you using to install the 0.4 firmware?
Just got my AM6 Plus yesterday. Since then I've been trying my *ss off to install any OTA from USB stick. No dice. Everytime I got "bad file descriptor" error.

I wanted to try this dualboot thing so today I installed the CoreElec dualboot beta 0.4.0 from the Ugoos site (this is NOT an OTA file) by hooking up my Ugoos to the pc and running the USB burning tool that comes with the package. This went smoothly, no problems.
bobbymkV wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:52 pm
Oof, I can't even get ethernet to work what the hell? My experience with this thing isn't off to a great start.
Same here. What you want to do is enable WiFi and the you can connect through ethernet. After that, WiFi can be disabled again.
Thanks for the tips, but still can't connect to ethernet. I've tried three different cables that were all working with the devices they were already connected to including my LG TV, OPPO, and Shield. Already close to packing this thing up and returning it to Walmart.
bobbymkV

Post by bobbymkV »

JFC rebooting several times did nothing, but of course physically unplugging the power and plugging it back in made the ethernet work. This device is going to be a rollercoast ride isn't it? :lol:

EDIT: LMAO that also fixed my issue with the OTA firmware not working. I ran it again with no changes and it just worked. I'm now on 0.4.0
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

Yeah, it's not exactly a friendly plug & play device. Since yesterday I still haven't figured out how to exactly set up NFS client in Android to work. Highly irritating. Please let me know if you succeed :lol:

The "Remote Control Buttons" app is worthless, leaving the remote itself rendered half useless. The buttons in the app in no way match the real buttons.

I must say, that CoreElec is fast & responsive as hell. But then there is a Dolby Vision problem, as I learn here. That's why I wanted to try out the dualboot.

[EDIT] Just read your edit. How did you succeed? Putting the OTA zipfile on USB stick and run update from file?
bobbymkV

Post by bobbymkV »

ArArdin wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:07 pm
Yeah, it's not exactly a friendly plug & play device. Since yesterday I still haven't figured out how to exactly set up NFS client in Android to work. Highly irritating. Please let me know if you succeed :lol:

The "Remote Control Buttons" app is worthless, leaving the remote itself rendered half useless. The buttons in the app in no way match the real buttons.

I must say, that CoreElec is fast & responsive as hell. But then there is a Dolby Vision problem, as I learn here. That's why I wanted to try out the dualboot.

[EDIT] Just read your edit. How did you succeed? Putting the OTA zipfile on USB stick and run update from file?
Yes, same method I was doing before. Putting the OTA zip on USB, going to the About-->System Update app.

Now does anyone have any tips for getting Fandango's DV Kodi to work? I have untrusted apps allowed and it keeps on failing for some reason. I'm assuming I should use aarch64, which worked fine on my Shield.

Edit: Maybe a dumb question, but do I need to install the Play Store version of Kodi first and then install Fandango's? I thought it was totally standalone, but maybe I'm wrong.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

bobbymkV wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:18 pm
Yes, same method I was doing before. Putting the OTA zip on USB, going to the About-->System Update app.

Now does anyone have any tips for getting Fandango's DV Kodi to work? I have untrusted apps allowed and it keeps on failing for some reason. I'm assuming I should use aarch64, which worked fine on my Shield.

Edit: Maybe a dumb question, but do I need to install the Play Store version of Kodi first and then install Fandango's? I thought it was totally standalone, but maybe I'm wrong.
yep , the 64x didn't work for me as well: I used the 32x version. You don't have to download it from the play store.
norrellmeister wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:07 am
Also seeing some serious stability issues in basic use.
Exiting a movie in Plex usually leaves the HDMI in a broken state, where there is a black screen, but sound works. Repeatedly hitting the power button fixes it, usually.
Resolution switching and color mode switching are not reliable. Sometimes I don’t get into DV mode, sometimes I do. Sometimes DV mode or 1080p mode or HDR mode “sticks” after a movie.
Playing DV movies is not starting reliably. Sometimes it’s starting in SDR. Restarting fixes it.
sounds similar to my first hour with this device... Once I stopped playing with the colorspace settings, those issues didn't happen again.
bobbymkV

Post by bobbymkV »

You guys are lifesavers, thanks! At least I've got the basic setup done now. Think I might have a beer or four before I start working on this thing some more....
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

MOHAX777 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:05 pm

Also I'am look fast at Exoplayer 2.13 sources code and not found using process DV-EL metadata in mkv-rips (profile 7) :? . So I think it use only RPU-metadata.
Exoplayer 2.13 is what plex use ?
FEL is processed , I checked the ending credits of power rangers in PLEX and it was bright white instead of grey.
The big problem is that you can't FF/ RW or skip through the movie because FEL becomes out of sync with the BL (ghosting visible). You can't even resume a movie.
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

ExoPlayer isn't relevant here, it doesn't do any of the Dolby Vision processing.
That's up to Android MediaCodec and the proprietary pipeline to deal with.
bedders

Post by bedders »

ragico wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:13 pm
"A fellow Panasonic owner! Do you also only get LLDV option in DV display settings on the Ugoos?"

Dolby Vision settings:
Dolby Vision enable low latency (YUV)
Dolby Vision disable

The Panasonic GZ series (2019) do not support Tv led as far as I know.
This feature has been introduced in 2020 HZ series.

By the way, I am waiting for an Oled LG CX in nest days and will report accordingly-
I don’t believe that’s the case. My understanding is that Panasonic has always had TV led DV support on their OLEDs. What has been a problem is source devices detecting it due to the way the capabilities are presented in EDID. So this would be possible for Ugoos to fix their side. Otherwise we would need something like HDFury Dr HDMI to fix it up. I’ve asked Ugoos if they can look into it.
ragico

Post by ragico »

I don’t believe that’s the case. My understanding is that Panasonic has always had TV led DV support on their OLEDs. What has been a problem is source devices detecting it due to the way the capabilities are presented in EDID. So this would be possible for Ugoos to fix their side. Otherwise we would need something like HDFury Dr HDMI to fix it up. I’ve asked Ugoos if they can look
Hope you are right.
Panasonic does not care much about their customers.
norrellmeister

Post by norrellmeister »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:35 pm
bobbymkV wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:18 pm

yep , the 64x didn't work for me as well: I used the 32x version. You don't have to download it from the play store.
norrellmeister wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:07 am
Also seeing some serious stability issues in basic use.
Exiting a movie in Plex usually leaves the HDMI in a broken state, where there is a black screen, but sound works. Repeatedly hitting the power button fixes it, usually.
Resolution switching and color mode switching are not reliable. Sometimes I don’t get into DV mode, sometimes I do. Sometimes DV mode or 1080p mode or HDR mode “sticks” after a movie.
Playing DV movies is not starting reliably. Sometimes it’s starting in SDR. Restarting fixes it.
sounds similar to my first hour with this device... Once I stopped playing with the colorspace settings, those issues didn't happen again.
What settings did you end up with (color space, resolution, refresh rate)? I have DV enabled and it seems like it’s not even give me a choice of color space.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

norrellmeister wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:39 pm

What settings did you end up with (color space, resolution, refresh rate)? I have DV enabled and it seems like it’s not even give me a choice of color space.
DV enabled for DV content.
LLDV enabled for HDR10/SDR content. (this force 422 12bits for everything)
framerate match enabled
24hz
resolution match off

everything else to default, I don't touch the colorspace settings at all.
bobbymkV

Post by bobbymkV »

This Ugoos, man :cry:

You can add DTS transcoding to the list of things it cannot do properly. Wish I could just do full passthrough, but I have the Sonos Arc 5.1 set and need transcoding capabilities as it can't receive DTS. It works great on the Shield for the most part (Kodi and Plex). When testing this and Dolby Vision you wind up being surprised when the video actually starts playing. The amount of times I've had to reboot or close apps because I don't even know what the hell it's doing is beyond maddening.

All of this really just makes me have more appreciation for the Shield even with its red push and lack of FEL. I knew this Ugoos was a bit rough around the edges, but it's more flawed than I imagined. The AM 6+ is over a year old at this point and as far as I can tell the team that works on these devices is very small. I think it's a longshot that this thing becomes what many of us want it to be.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

bobbymkV wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:36 am
This Ugoos, man :cry:

You can add DTS transcoding to the list of things it cannot do properly. Wish I could just do full passthrough, but I have the Sonos Arc 5.1 set and need transcoding capabilities as it can't receive DTS. It works great on the Shield for the most part (Kodi and Plex). When testing this and Dolby Vision you wind up being surprised when the video actually starts playing. The amount of times I've had to reboot or close apps because I don't even know what the hell it's doing is beyond maddening.

All of this really just makes me have more appreciation for the Shield even with its red push and lack of FEL. I knew this Ugoos was a bit rough around the edges, but it's more flawed than I imagined. The AM 6+ is over a year old at this point and as far as I can tell the team that works on these devices is very small. I think it's a longshot that this thing becomes what many of us want it to be.
I always kill apps and processes before I launch Kodi or whatever, I do this on other android devices that have this option also (Zidoo etc) always have and always will.
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

Can someone please help me with NFS client setup in the Ugoos on Android? I think the issue lies in what exactly has to be filled in the "NFS share path" and "Local name" boxes. Have been trying for many hours entering paths & names with no luck. Every time it says: "Mount error. Check entered data". I don't know what I'm doing wrong.