Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
lexyz

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by lexyz »

shawnc22 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:31 pm
fingers crossed for incidental FEL support on the Shield :D
As far as I know there is no test pattern to tell if FEL active or not.
S&M UHD Benchmark disk has DV demo clip both FEL and MEL versions. It should be good source to spot any difference.
Bravia XF90, Shield TV Pro'19, UBP-X700
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

lexyz wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:26 am
shawnc22 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:31 pm
fingers crossed for incidental FEL support on the Shield :D
As far as I know there is no test pattern to tell if FEL active or not.
S&M UHD Benchmark disk has DV demo clip both FEL and MEL versions. It should be good source to spot any difference.
I’m sure @RESET9999 has just been combing through his collection looking for good scenes to compare. Is the benchmark disc widely available?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:24 pm

I’m sure @RESET9999 has just been combing through his collection looking for good scenes to compare. Is the benchmark disc widely available?
Indeed. I planned on comparing Alita UHD-BD on x700 VS Shield BL+EL+RPU VS Shield BL+RPU VS real profile 5 BL+RPU Movies Anywhere.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

The Spears and Munsil UHD benchmark disc is a must have IMO. I use it for testing madvr's tone mapping but it's useful for calibration as well as other things. It's not available for download, no, but, you can purchase it easily enough.

EDIT:

Hmmm, that's a good idea actually. Rip both the FEL and MEL tracks to MKV and run them through the SHIELD using Kodi+ExoPlayer and see if there's a notieable difference.
lexyz

Post by lexyz »

shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:24 pm
Is the benchmark disc widely available?
Yep. On Amazon and in the wild.
Full name is "Spears & Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark"
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Ah I see, although there is a chance that the MEL and FEL tracks were mastered differently so you might see differences that're not attributed to the Shield's playback abilities. You might have to check with BDInfo to see if the BL from both tracks are the same size/bitrate, but even then the RPUs might also be different between the MEL/FEL tracks.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Maybe but I've looked at them both on the UB820 and didn't notice any discernible difference. And this is a disc I've looked at a lot. Far more than I care to think about. LOL
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

gotcha. maybe while we wait for @RESET9999's work, a shield vs ub820 for the demo FEL track comparison is in order if you have the time :D
lexyz

Post by lexyz »

Actually, after I found Stacey Spears comment redarding FEL and MEL I doubt it could be uses for comparison.
Each version was intentionally made with maximum possible quality. So... MEL and FEL BL are not equal - MEL has higher bitrate.
To catch a difference you need to pixel-peeping for compression artifacts.
Peacock feather scene around 3:00 should be suitable for such endeavor.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

lexyz wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:43 pm
Actually, after I found Stacey Spears comment redarding FEL and MEL I doubt it could be uses for comparison.
Each version was intentionally made with maximum possible quality. So... MEL and FEL BL are not equal - MEL has higher bitrate.
Yeah that's what I figured, but a comparison of just the FEL tracks on the Shield vs a bluray player should still be valid for our purpose. Actually a comparison of just the MEL and FEL tracks on the Shield should also be of some good use. If they have similar picture like they are supposed to, then it's a good sign for the Shield's FEL capabilities. But if the FEL track looks vastly different, then the EL is probably not being properly applied.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:50 pm
Yeah that's what I figured, but a comparison of just the FEL tracks on the Shield vs a bluray player should still be valid for our purpose.
I'm not sure if it's possible to really confirm if the Shield actually makes use of the FEL with a picture comparison.
I don't really see a difference in real life. Also the time it takes, when I switch from 1 input to another, is too long to notice any difference. 2 identical tv side by side would probably be better to spot a difference if there is any.
I will try to compare more movies later today or this week.

Comparison FEL 1: https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/4909
Comparison FEL 2: https://screenshotcomparison.com/compar ... /picture:1
also tested the doctor sleep famous scene with vertex fix: https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/4907

Shield FEL / X700 FEL / x700 RPU Non-standard / AppleTV MA RPU
Image Image Image Image
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:50 pm
lexyz wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:43 pm
Yeah that's what I figured, but a comparison of just the FEL tracks on the Shield vs a bluray player should still be valid for our purpose. Actually a comparison of just the MEL and FEL tracks on the Shield should also be of some good use. If they have similar picture like they are supposed to, then it's a good sign for the Shield's FEL capabilities. But if the FEL track looks vastly different, then the EL is probably not being properly applied.
This is what I was thinking, too. It might prove useful. Once I get off work I'll see what I can do tonight.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

If there is no discernible difference in real-life with a picture comparison, then I'm content :lol:. The rest is just curiosity. Thank you both for taking the time to do the tests!
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I'm trying to make the MKV's from the SM benchmark UHD and I'm not seeing the MEL tracks listed. Does MakeMKV not recognize them as MEL? I see 2 FEL tracks. If I'm not able to stick the MEL tracks into an MKV I may have to do spot comparisons between the FEL track on my UB820 and the Shield, pausing and switching between them. Which I can do.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:27 pm
I'm trying to make the MKV's from the SM benchmark UHD and I'm not seeing the MEL tracks listed. Does MakeMKV not recognize them as MEL? I see 2 FEL tracks. If I'm not able to stick the MEL tracks into an MKV I may have to do spot comparisons between the FEL track on my UB820 and the Shield, pausing and switching between them. Which I can do.
Pretty sure it should. Just tested with my old copy of the Last Jedi and MakeMKV correctly labels it as MEL. According to @lexyz's previous post, 20001.m2ts should be the MEL track. Maybe double check with BDInfo to make sure?