Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
jayper

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by jayper »

jayper wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:56 pm
SamuriHL wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:59 pm
Anyone have pitch black uhd and converted it to mkv? Tried to play it on the shield like usual and it triggered dv but completely black screen with audio playing. It's a mel title. First one of my rips I've seen do this.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
My copy just arrived. I will test it out this weekend and let you know.
Just got a chance to test it out. Dolby Vision triggers, and video & audio playback are fine.
trott

Post by trott »

The emby for android test build is support dolby vision now, I install 3.1.34 on my shield tv pro 2019, and played some DV movies ripped with makemkv 1.15.2, the DV can be triggered on my sony 900f, but for the movie 1917, the screen will be blank around 2 minutes, and after the screen is back, the movies will be played in SDR mode, and the color is wash out; I need to restart the app or it will remains in SDR mode even for other HDR movies
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I'll rerip it then. Thanks.

quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

arrbee99 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:50 am
Can I just ask please if there are any Dolby Vision Demo files available (preferably mkv's) to test with the modified Exo Player.
https://www.makemkv.com/download/dvtest
E.Flynn

Post by E.Flynn »

which Shield TV device is preferred

Shield TV
or
Shield TV Pro

I'm only asking this for the playback of DV
A lot of post mention using a Shield product but I was wondering if one is better than the other for the playback of DV and DV atmos
E.Flynn

Post by E.Flynn »

Is it possible in TSMuxer to change the track info column? I would like to customize the info that is if it would show up in VLC or Plex when I select the Audio track option. I like to label the track if it is Commentary, SDH or the audio track type.
Also is there a way to select an audio track so when you start the move it will select that audio track option?
gabi.gegea@gmail.com

Post by gabi.gegea@gmail.com »

E.Flynn wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:56 pm

Shield TV
or
Shield TV Pro

A lot of post mention using a Shield product but I was wondering if one is better than the other for the playback of DV and DV atmos
Without any doubt the Pro.
Fuluer

Post by Fuluer »

jayper wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:57 am
jayper wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:59 pm
Anyone have pitch black uhd and converted it to mkv? Tried to play it on the shield like usual and it triggered dv but completely black screen with audio playing. It's a mel title. First one of my rips I've seen do this.

Just got a chance to test it out. Dolby Vision triggers, and video & audio playback are fine.
I'm getting a black screen with audio for Pitch Black, using 2018 LG OLED/Atmos Receiver/Shield Pro/Kodi/Exoplayer from a 1.15.2 decode. If I just use videoplayer in Kodi, I get HDR and Atmos. I'm guessing the situation might be better if you're using Plex, but I don't have that in my setup.
trott

Post by trott »

I tried my rip with 1.15.2 with shield tv pro test DV, it played in SDR mode, even HDR is not triggered on my sony 900f, same as 1917
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Fuluer wrote:
jayper wrote:
jayper wrote:
I'm getting a black screen with audio for Pitch Black, using 2018 LG OLED/Atmos Receiver/Shield Pro/Kodi/Exoplayer from a 1.15.2 decode. If I just use videoplayer in Kodi, I get HDR and Atmos. I'm guessing the situation might be better if you're using Plex, but I don't have that in my setup.
Can't use plex. But you just hit the nail on the head. I suspect it's our c8 causing this issue. We'll that's fun. Lol

M2k80

Post by M2k80 »

E.Flynn wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:56 pm

Shield TV
or
Shield TV Pro

if you want to buy one, take the pro, the non pro is only 32bit and has less ram, many poeple complain about stuttering etc
gabi.gegea@gmail.com

Post by gabi.gegea@gmail.com »

Hello everyone!
Reading the topic my understanding is that currently there is no player that can play .mkv with 2 video tracks (hdr and DV). I have a few remux movies that have both hdr10 and DV but they only play in hdr.
Setup is Shield pro 2019, Panasonic hz1000.
Is there any update or moded player that can help me?
Sorry if the explanation is is one of the pages and I missed it.
Fuluer

Post by Fuluer »

SamuriHL wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:59 am
Fuluer wrote:
jayper wrote:

Can't use plex. But you just hit the nail on the head. I suspect it's our c8 causing this issue. We'll that's fun. Lol

I of course appreciate that "Pitch Black" should be pitch black, but after setting the Nvidia display to 4k/23.976, and rebooting the shield, the Universal logo's playing.

TV's HDR setting confirms DV is being triggered.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Fuluer wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:08 pm
SamuriHL wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:59 am
Fuluer wrote:

I of course appreciate that "Pitch Black" should be pitch black, but after setting the Nvidia display to 4k/23.976, and rebooting the shield, the Universal logo's playing.

TV's HDR setting confirms DV is being triggered.
I thought I had changed mine back to 23.976 after messing around with 60 for something I was testing. But ummmm maybe I need to check on that. LOL
Cannikin

Post by Cannikin »

gabi.gegea@gmail.com wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:21 pm
Is there any update or moded player that can help me?
Not without some manual work. In Kodi, you can specify a custom player to use. There is a custom version of Exoplayer linked to in this thread in a couple of places. If you use that, DV will trigger when playing through Kodi (I haven't tried this myself, but I'm aware of the ability after reading through the thread).

You can also remux a .mkv into a .ts file which will trigger DV in some players (like Plex on the Shield). But you need to make the .ts yourself manually. There are several posts in this thread that describe how to do it using the tsMuxer utility.

For other players, like Plex on the AppleTV, supposedly you will not be able to trigger DV no matter what format the file is in because the AppleTV doesn't allow third party apps to enable Dolby Vision. I believe the AppleTV doesn't allow full Atmos streams either. I've seen this myself where an .mkv with a Dolby Atmos audio track only triggered Dolby Digital+ on my receiver, but playing the same file through Plex on a Shield triggered TrueHD/Atmos as expected.