Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
EvanVanVan

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by EvanVanVan »

Hi,

I read the the past 10+ pages but couldn't see anything definitive, did something new come out where DV rips with lossless audio are possible?

Thanks
Epedemic

Post by Epedemic »

First of all thank you for these new developements!

And then a little reminder that this is still very much "beta" all the way through:

My setup is a Shield Pro 2019 -> Onkyo RZ820 -> LG E6 OLED.

I was losing my mind over this: I saw some rather nasty color banding/oversaturation on some DV content: First i noticed it in Westworld Season 1 Episode 1, the second scene, about 2:40 in, where Dolores wakes up, i saw some green bands on her skin, primarily her right arm (center screen) and... ehm, chest, and on the wall when she is walking down the stairs afterwards. Thought it was badly colored, but when playing in regular HDR in Kodi it looked fine. So i tried The Mandalorian Episode 1 on D+, and immediately spotted horrible banding in the very first scene (on the right side of the screen) and an overblown highlight in the light coming through the clouds.... Tried the TV built in app: looked much better.... So i suspected the shield. But it seems it plays DV content just fine after a reboot. ONCE... And then stuff with DV i play/stream afterwards suffers issues... It *might* be triggered by Kodi somehow... It *might* be triggered by refresh rate change... It *might* just be my particular system, but that is all speculation.

tl;DR: You may need to reboot your shield before playing or streaming DV content... It *might* be buggy and produce banding/oversaturation otherwise...
Donpoku

Post by Donpoku »

yusesope wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:26 am
The 0.0.4 ALFA version of my program is out.
As always, I have updated my original post (at the bottom). HERE.

Two main changes:
  • the ability to manage raw streams extracted from REMUXed files (out there, into the wild) that in the past have retained the stream relating to the Enhancement Layer.
  • given the requests of different users, I have introduced the DEMUX function. Starting from a raw Single Track Double Layer HEVC file (BL_EL_RPU.hevc) it is possible to restore the Base Layer (BL.hevc) and the Enhancement Layer (EL_RPU.hevc)
People who are afraid of black screens with white writing (a.k.a command line), can use the handy "MUXER.bat" (the old "start_bl_el_rpu_builder.bat") and "DEMUXER.bat" files and follow the instructions on the screen.
The more practical ones can run the program with the "-h" switch and see the help output.

Considerations:
  • as for the first point, I recommend to always use the copy of your original disc. Technically speaking, REMUXed files may have lost important information during their creation. So a 1:1 copy of a BD disc may be different than a 1:1 copy of a REMUXed file. Take a look at the counters: if the total number of Access Units of BL Layer is different from that of EL Layer (the numbers you see in parentheses), it is likely that the file obtained does not work correctly (especially if the difference is greater than 1).

WARNING
    Out of curiosity, I tested my program using a REMUXed mkv (Birds of Prey) that can be found "into the wild".
    The first video stream is already a BL_EL_RPU stream (evidently they used the latest version of MakeMKV) and then they added a second video stream which is actually the Enhancement Layer.
    A mess...

If you mux (using my program) these anomalous video streams you will create a file with duplicate layers (because part of them were already present in the first stream which, strictly speaking, should be the Base Layer and not Base Layer + Enhancement Layer).

Pay attention to the REMUX (with two video streams) created after the release of the latest version of MakeMKV (v1.15.1).

The good news is that, if you notice it before making a mess, you can directly import the REMUX file into tsMuxer and tick only the box of the first video stream!
  • As for the second point, if you intend to use the DEMUX function starting from REMUXed files (even those created with the latest version of MakeMKV), in case you want to recreate a BL_EL_RPU.hevc file you MUST NECESSARILY use version 0.0.4 ALFA of my program. Previous versions (<= 0.0.3) will not be able to complete the analysis and writing cycle of the file.
  • It's an experimental version, there are likely to be errors in the code ( :mrgreen: ).
    If you provide me with relevant feedback, I will try to improve it!

darrrkmanxxx wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:46 am
unfortunately Yusesope's tool didn't helped for my setup, since it only makes dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU and dvhe.06.06, BL+EL+RPU

what I need is dvhe.05.06, BL+RPU
My tool returns a RAW HEVC file.
If you don't like meat prepared by the cook, don't take it out on the supplier who sold him raw meat.
There is a reason (widely debated on the pages of this thread) why tsMuxer chose one profile and not another.
In your case, since you need a file with profile dvhe.05, I would simply force the application behavior by modifying the source code you find on Github. Just comment out the part of the code that decides the type of profile (the file is hevcStreamReader.cpp), insert two simple lines of code ("profile = 5;" the first and "compatibility = 0;" the second) and compile the app with the changes made.

The user @shawnc22 has done this in the past. He's kind and resourceful, maybe you could ask him if you're having trouble.

shroomM wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:17 am
It'd be interesting to "split" them into separate layers. Maybe see if we can use the RPU with x265's RPU option, though I don't know if that would even work.
What you are referring to are RPU metadata. If you want to know what's inside, @jcdr428 (one of tsMuxer's contributors) has lines of code suitable for this purpose: you could ask him if he wants to share his work.

At the moment, the algorithm that generates these metadata is unknown.
I believe that if you re-encode the various layers with x265 you must also modify the RPU parameters at the same time.
Without the algorithm that generates them, however, I don't think it can be done.
A drink on me m8 skillfully genius Thx
Donpoku

Post by Donpoku »

EvanVanVan wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:49 pm
Hi,

I read the the past 10+ pages but couldn't see anything definitive, did something new come out where DV rips with lossless audio are possible?

Thanks
Yes in TS/M2TS format and mkv(storage purpose only as no software/hardware can read it yet)
Trujax

Post by Trujax »

I have compiled a TsMuxer that forces dvhe.05.06 profile. It works nice where 08.06 played choppy in my Lg. You can find it here http://katfile.com/1uvd80v1b0zd/tsMuxer ... ).zip.html
darrrkmanxxx

Post by darrrkmanxxx »

yusesope wrote:

darrrkmanxxx wrote:
unfortunately Yusesope's tool didn't helped for my setup, since it only makes dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU and dvhe.06.06, BL+EL+RPU

If you don't like meat prepared by the cook, don't take it out on the supplier who sold him raw meat.
There is a reason (widely debated on the pages of this thread) why tsMuxer chose one profile and not another.
In your case, since you need a file with profile dvhe.05, I would simply force the application behavior by modifying the source code you find on Github. Just comment out the part of the code that decides the type of profile (the file is hevcStreamReader.cpp), insert two simple lines of code ("profile = 5;" the first and "compatibility = 0;" the second) and compile the app with the changes made.

The user @shawnc22 has done this in the past. He's kind and resourceful, maybe you could ask him if you're having trouble.

Of course man, thanks you so much for helping. I just didn't knew that it has to do with tsmuxer and not with your tool. That's why I'm asking.
darrrkmanxxx

Post by darrrkmanxxx »

darrrkmanxxx wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 9:52 am
yusesope wrote:

darrrkmanxxx wrote:

Of course man, thanks you so much for helping. I just didn't knew that it has to do with tsmuxer and not with your tool. That's why I'm asking.
darrrkmanxxx

Post by darrrkmanxxx »

yusesope wrote:

VictorLemon

Post by VictorLemon »

Hello, let's see if anyone can help me.
To mount the video in ts container I follow the following steps
1 I extract BL and EL tracks with ffmpeg from bluray UHD
2 I use the yusesope tool latest version in mode 2 to generate the HEVC file with profile 5
3 Once I see that I have the file generated by the new tool, I upload it in the tsmuxert version March 30.
4 I add the audio tracks and subtitles that I want
5 Multiplex in ts container
In all the previous steps no error occurs, everything is correct.
The file generated in ts I copy it to an external hard disk and in turn connect it to the USB input of my 4K television that plays Dolby Vision.
The result is that it gives an error, it tells me an unsupported file.
Am I doing something wrong? Can someone help me?

Thank you

Mediainfo attachment

Format: MPEG-TS
File size: 6.14 GiB
Duration: 12 min 24 s
Bit rate mode: Variable
General bit rate: 70.8 Mb / s
Maximum general bit rate: 35.5 Mb / s

Video
ID: 4117 (0x1015)
Menu ID: 1 (0x1)
Format: HEVC
Format / Info: High Efficiency Video Coding
Profile format: Main 10 @ L5.1 @ High
HDR_Format / String: Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.06, BL + RPU / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID: 36
Width: 3,840 pixels
Height: 2,160 pixels
Aspect ratio: 16: 9
Frame rate: 23,976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space: YUV
Chroma subsampling: 4: 2: 0 (Type 2)
Bit depth: 10 bits
Color Range: Limited
Primary Colors: BT.2020
Transfer characteristics: PQ
Matrix coefficients: BT.2020 non-constant
Principles color monitor mastering: BT.2020
Luminance mastering monitor: min: 0.0001 cd / m2, max: 1000 cd / m2
Maximum content light level: 267 cd / m2
Maximum medium frame light level: 89 cd / m2
kws53

Post by kws53 »

idpseudonymous wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 6:50 pm
mulucy wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:19 am
shawnc22 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:14 pm

I think the Shield is good with reading single track+dual layer dv profile 4, and single track+single layer profile 5 and 8 videos. Dual track+dual layer profile 7 videos have always been the problem, hence yusecope's tool to merge the tracks but keep the layers still separate (or the -mode 2 option to also merge the layers). The issue somebody was having was with an Apple TV 4k not reading a ST+SL file in prof 8, but when the same video track is remuxed in 5, it'd work perfectly. Probably an issue with the Apple TV not supporting prof 8
Apple TV 4K only supports Profile 5. Apparently, the all-new Shield TV supports Profile 4 and 5. And with Profile 4, you get both: single track dual layer and single track single layer and all with lossless audio and ATMOS/DTS-X.
Sorry I am new to all this. Trying to learn more and making my way through the long thread. But maybe someone can answer my question real quick.

Question about Audio Coding 3 + Meridian Lossless Packing Dolby TrueHD with Atmos. Is this lossless audio or Lossy audio?

I am not sure what the answer is. The wonder woman Media info detail shows lossless and Shazam looks lossy to me but what does the AC3 + Meridian lossless packing do?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_TrueHD writes,

" Dolby TrueHD is a lossless multi-channel audio codec ... It is one of the successors to the Dolby Digital (AC-3) surround sound codec "

" Dolby TrueHD uses Meridian Lossless Packing (MLP) as its mathematical basis for compressing audio samples"

I discovered this forum from https://forums.plex.tv/t/dolby-vision-d ... lex/561151 explaining the workflow/tools. Will using this method result in lossless audio that is not AC3 + Meridian lossless packing

TIA
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wonder Woman media info audio file
ID : 2
Format : MLP FBA 16-ch
Format/Info : Meridian Lossless Packing FBA with 16-channel presentation
Commercial name : Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos
Codec ID : A_TRUEHD
Duration : 2 h 21 min
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 4 279 kb/s
Maximum bit rate : 7 509 kb/s
Channel(s) : 8 channels
Channel layout : L R C LFE Ls Rs Lb Rb
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 1 200.000 FPS (40 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossless
Stream size : 4.22 GiB (29%)
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Number of dynamic objects : 11

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General
ID : 1 (0x1)
Complete name : B:\Media\Blu-Ray_Movies\Shazam! (2019) - 2160p Dolby Vision Atmos\Shazam! (2019) - 2160p Dolby Vision Atmos.m2ts
Format : BDAV
Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
File size : 78.7 GiB
Duration : 2 h 11 min
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 85.5 Mb/s
Maximum Overall bit rate : 35.5 Mb/s

Video
ID : 4117 (0x1015)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+EL+RPU / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID : 36
Bit rate : 81.7 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.411
Stream size : 75.2 GiB (96%)
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : PQ
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries : Display P3
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 4000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level : 1351 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level : 384 cd/m2

Audio
ID : 4352 (0x1100)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AC-3 MLP FBA 16-ch
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3 + Meridian Lossless Packing FBA with 16-channel presentation
Commercial name : Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos
Muxing mode : Stream extension
Codec ID : 131
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 448 kb/s
Maximum bit rate : 5 931 kb/s
Channel(s) : 8 channels
Channel layout : L R C LFE Ls Rs Lb Rb
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 422 MiB (1%)
Language : English
Service kind : Complete Main
Number of dynamic objects : 15
Bed channel count : 1 channel
Bed channel configuration : LFE
This is a problem with the way MediaInfo presents a THD+AC3 audio file. It defines the file as "lossy" because the AC3 embedded portion is lossy - not the THD stream. Drop your file into MKVToolNix and it will show you both audio components.
looun

Post by looun »

please , someone can explain better the steps for make DV .ts file ?
A) single track+dual layer dv profile 4
  • extract BL and EL tracks with ffmpeg from bluray UHD
  • yusesope tool to make HEVC profile 4
  • Multiplex HEVC file,Audio tracks and subtitles in ts container with tsMuxe (which version !?!)
i have tried but mediainfo report olny
"HDR format : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible"

B) single track+single layer profile 5
  • extract BL and EL tracks with ffmpeg from bluray UHD
  • use the yusesope tool latest version in mode 2 to generate the HEVC file with profile 5 ( how i can send "- mode 2" command. "MUXER.bat - mode 2" not work)
  • Multiplex HEVC file,Audio tracks and subtitles in ts container with tsmuxert version March 30 (right?)
thanks.
darrrkmanxxx

Post by darrrkmanxxx »

VictorLemon wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:53 pm
Hello, let's see if anyone can help me.
To mount the video in ts container I follow the following steps
1 I extract BL and EL tracks with ffmpeg from bluray UHD
2 I use the yusesope tool latest version in mode 2 to generate the HEVC file with profile 5
3 Once I see that I have the file generated by the new tool, I upload it in the tsmuxert version March 30.
4 I add the audio tracks and subtitles that I want
5 Multiplex in ts container
In all the previous steps no error occurs, everything is correct.
The file generated in ts I copy it to an external hard disk and in turn connect it to the USB input of my 4K television that plays Dolby Vision.
The result is that it gives an error, it tells me an unsupported file.
Am I doing something wrong? Can someone help me?

Thank you

Mediainfo attachment

Format: MPEG-TS
File size: 6.14 GiB
Bit rate mode: Variable
General bit rate: 70.8 Mb / s
Maximum general bit rate: 35.5 Mb / s

Video
ID: 4117 (0x1015)
Menu ID: 1 (0x1)
Format: HEVC
Format / Info: High Efficiency Video Coding
Profile format: Main 10 @ L5.1 @ High
HDR_Format / String: Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.06, BL + RPU / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Width: 3,840 pixels
Height: 2,160 pixels
Aspect ratio: 16: 9
Frame rate: 23,976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space: YUV
Chroma subsampling: 4: 2: 0 (Type 2)
Bit depth: 10 bits
Color Range: Limited
Primary Colors: BT.2020
Transfer characteristics: PQ
Matrix coefficients: BT.2020 non-constant
Principles color monitor mastering: BT.2020
Luminance mastering monitor: min: 0.0001 cd / m2, max: 1000 cd / m2
Maximum content light level: 267 cd / m2
Maximum medium frame light level: 89 cd / m2
This is what I'm also struggling to for a long time. Generating single layer profile 5 mp4 with DVDFab let's me play it on TV.
But creating the same profile with a ts container triggers only HDR not Dolby Vision.

mp4:

Code: Select all

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.06, BL+RPU / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID                                 : dvhe
Codec ID/Info                            : High Efficiency Video Coding with Dolby Vision
Duration                                 : 2h 23mn
Bit rate                                 : 61.9 Mbps
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.311
Stream size                              : 62.0 GiB (98%)
Encoded date                             : UTC 2020-05-11 15:40:47
Tagged date                              : UTC 2020-05-11 15:50:29
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics                 : PQ
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries        : Display P3
Mastering display luminance              : min: 0.0001 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
Codec configuration box                  : hvcC+dvcC
TS:

Video
ID                                       : 4117 (0x1015)
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086
Codec ID                                 : 36
Bit rate                                 : 65.2 Mbps
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.328
Stream size                              : 65.3 GiB (94%)
The difference I've noticed is that in mp4

Codec ID: dvhe
and in ts

Also mp4 has an additional line, which is

Codec configuration box: hvcC+dvcC
Maybe someone can explain that.
VictorLemon

Post by VictorLemon »

darrrkmanxxx wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:09 pm
This is what I'm also struggling to for a long time. Generating single layer profile 5 mp4 with DVDFab let's me play it on TV.
But creating the same profile with a ts container triggers only HDR not Dolby Vision.

mp4:

Video
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.06, BL+RPU / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID/Info                            : High Efficiency Video Coding with Dolby Vision
TS:

Video
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086

and in ts

Try to mount with tsmuxer version March 30, it will give you profile 5 to see if you can play the DV
darrrkmanxxx

Post by darrrkmanxxx »

VictorLemon wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:25 pm
darrrkmanxxx wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:09 pm

mp4:

Video
TS:

Video

and in ts

Try to mount with tsmuxer version March 30, it will give you profile 5 to see if you can play the DV
I've tried that too, it seems like the issue is with the ts container. With ts only HDR is triggered, not DV
jesper1994

Post by jesper1994 »

Trujax wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 9:31 am
I have compiled a TsMuxer that forces dvhe.05.06 profile. It works nice where 08.06 played choppy in my Lg. You can find it here http://katfile.com/1uvd80v1b0zd/tsMuxer ... ).zip.html
Do you mean the internal LG player? Could you summarize the steps you follow? Thanks
The method which I currently use is mp4box and mp4muxer, since it can handle dts sound but it is taking soooo long.