Ripped UHD movies skipping, freezing and corrupted frames

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Woodstock

Re: Ripped UHD movies skipping, freezing and corrupted frames

Post by Woodstock » Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:49 pm

If the rip is succeeding, the disk is being read - what you have are the contents of the disk. MakeMKV is doing a checksum on the data as it rip, and comparing it to the checksums on the disk. To have a corruption, the on-disk checksum would have to match the ripped checksum, which is rather difficult to do.

As for PLAYING, that's dependent on a lot of things, including bandwidth. Are you writing to the same place?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging

dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 » Wed Jul 03, 2024 6:06 pm

I guess it comes down to are you hitting some sort of resource constraint? Or is there a problem with the file?

If you're running macOS Sonoma, then presumably your Mac isn't ancient (though 14.5 is current, not 14.3). That said, playing UHD files is a non-trivial affair. IINA is a very nice GUI wrapped around MPV. I have both on my old Intel iMac. MPV supports using Apple video decoder hardware acceleration and is the only way my iMac can successfully play a UHD. I believe by default IINA will use hardware acceleration as well.

File corruption is very unlikely, but not impossible. Strange corruption issue - MakeMKV's fault or bad HDD? In that thread, a user was indeed having file corruption from a bad USB chipset on his computer. There's an ffmpeg command listed in that thread that can help determine if your .mkv file is corrupt.

Woodstock

Post by Woodstock » Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:18 pm

Turns out, the original poster was doing so just to make a link to their website, added to their signature after the message was approved.

The original post (and poster) are now gone.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging