Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
deadchip12

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by deadchip12 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:22 pm
You'll love it!! I can't believe we had this device this whole time and it only needed proper coding... Big props to @cpm00 for figuring out the fake tv-led bug.
This shows how implementation in devices is important. Just look how poorly the AppleTV and Shield perform with the colorspace conversion pattern: https://slow.pics/c/NBQVuXQw
Btw the C2 internal player also has colorspace and YCBCR clipping problems.

People who are upgrading from a Nvidia Shield will notice a HUGE difference, especially for FEL movies that expand brightness but also with playback. No more dropped frame or stuttering and no more red push.
https://slow.pics/c/SSTMrjTw

The only downside is that we have hundreds of DT-DL TS rip to remux to ST-DL MKV. Thankfully mkvtoolnix now supports the conversion.
I have many films under Bluray folder format. Do I just drag the main mpls file to mkvtoolnix and press "Start Multiplexing" to convert it to ST-DL MKV?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

yes
kazuma

Post by kazuma »

is it possible to make a pause button on doviscripts while muxing reset_9999?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

no
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:53 pm
yes
Thanks. A few more questions:
-When I first receive the Ugoos, should I boot it normally one time first or I just plug in the usb and install CoreELEC right away (using the recovery button method)?
-After the CoreELEC screen shows up, when can I unplug the usb?
-I saw this in the recommended setting page:
Optional, Remove ‘Restart to eMMC option…’ option from boot menu

To prevent accidentally restarting into Android you will need to modify the available boot options to suppress that option from even showing. Navigate to the COREELEC folder via folder browser on your computer, then go to /Addons/[the skin folder you’re using]/xml/DialogButtonMenu.xml. Edit the file and set reboot to eMMC to ‘False’ or remove the option altogether.

Where is this COREELEC folder? How come I can access this on the computer?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

deadchip12 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:43 am
-When I first receive the Ugoos, should I boot it normally one time first or I just plug in the usb and install CoreELEC right away (using the recovery button method)?
?
first boot to the ugoos firmware and update it if necessary and then plug the USB drive and reboot with the recovery button.
With that method, you must keep the USB drive plugged all the time.
Optional, Remove ‘Restart to eMMC option…’ option from boot menu

To prevent accidentally restarting into Android you will need to modify the available boot options to suppress that option from even showing. Navigate to the COREELEC folder via folder browser on your computer, then go to /Addons/[the skin folder you’re using]/xml/DialogButtonMenu.xml. Edit the file and set reboot to eMMC to ‘False’ or remove the option altogether.

Where is this COREELEC folder? How come I can access this on the computer
You don't need to do that if you install it on an external USB drive. This is for when you install it to the internal ugoos drive in dual boot mode which is faster.
I'm using a fast usb-3 flash drive and I haven't bothered trying that yet.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:12 pm
deadchip12 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:43 am
?
first boot to the ugoos firmware and update it if necessary and then plug the USB drive and reboot with the recovery button.
With that method, you must keep the USB drive plugged all the time.
Wait so the usb must stay there forever, even during movie watching? So if the usb somehow malfunctions we need to redo all the installation steps again with a new usb?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

If you're not wanting to keep it on an external USB device or memory card, then move it to the internal memory and enable the fast memory mode. That's what I did with mine and it works fine.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

yes, I dont use a cheap USB flash drive so I never have issues myself.
Otherwise, if you don't want to use an external drive, as @SamuriHL and I said you can install it to the ugoos internal drive in dual boot mode.
See the last point(9) in the installation instruction here:
https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/guide- ... tion/51231
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

I just received the Ugoos AM6B+ and finished setting up CoreELEC. So far so good. Tested a few minutes of an mkv movie file and there seemed to be no playback problem. Will watch a full movie later this week.

Some questions/early impressions:
-from the recommended setting page:

Settings->Services->Caching

Buffer mode - cache settings to all methods: smb, local, remote, etc (default ignores local playback)
Read factor - Set 'Adaptive’ readfactor (default is 4x). This is a multiplier for the bandwidth allocation based on video bitrate. Eg if video bitrate is 50Mbps and multiplier is set to 4x, then Kodi allocates 200Mbps of bandwidth to fill the cache faster. Adaptive is recommended

@RESET_9999 Do I need to follow this? I don't see you mention this in your own guide.

-The remote sucks. Its air mouse is pretty bad, and the remote itself is bare-bones. There's no play/pause/stop button, so it takes a few presses to navigate to the on-screen buttons. Any workaround?

-I'm using CoreELEC 21.0, which I believe is the first version in which DV works properly, downloaded from @RESET_9999's link. When should I update this to a later version? Is there a way to do this directly on the Ugoos (in the Update section) or do I have to reinstall the new CoreELEC version on the usb and repeat the Recovery Button installation method with the Ugoos?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

@RESET_9999 Do I need to follow this? I don't see you mention this in your own guide.
I don't know. I've never changed any of this on mine.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I didn't either. As for updates, you can allow it to update nightlies in the coreelec settings if you desire. They contain bug fixes but could introduce new issues.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk

deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:15 pm
I didn't either. As for updates, you can allow it to update nightlies in the coreelec settings if you desire. They contain bug fixes but could introduce new issues.

Do you notice any differences in the latest build compared to the first build 21.0?
ans40

Post by ans40 »

deadchip12 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:21 am
I just received the Ugoos AM6B+ and finished setting up CoreELEC. So far so good. Tested a few minutes of an mkv movie file and there seemed to be no playback problem. Will watch a full movie later this week.

Some questions/early impressions:
-from the recommended setting page:

Settings->Services->Caching

Buffer mode - cache settings to all methods: smb, local, remote, etc (default ignores local playback)
Read factor - Set 'Adaptive’ readfactor (default is 4x). This is a multiplier for the bandwidth allocation based on video bitrate. Eg if video bitrate is 50Mbps and multiplier is set to 4x, then Kodi allocates 200Mbps of bandwidth to fill the cache faster. Adaptive is recommended

-The remote sucks. Its air mouse is pretty bad, and the remote itself is bare-bones. There's no play/pause/stop button, so it takes a few presses to navigate to the on-screen buttons. Any workaround?

-I'm using CoreELEC 21.0, which I believe is the first version in which DV works properly, downloaded from @RESET_9999's link. When should I update this to a later version? Is there a way to do this directly on the Ugoos (in the Update section) or do I have to reinstall the new CoreELEC version on the usb and repeat the Recovery Button installation method with the Ugoos?
Idk if it makes a difference but I use Jellyfin with "Jellyfin for Kodi" Add-on, and adjusting those settings did resolve high bitrate video stuttering. Playback is 100% smooth now. So if you experience stuttering then I'd start there.

A lot of your questions regarding CoreElec have been discussed on the CoreElec site and forums so you should head over there and look around.

Updating instructions. There are also nightly releases of CE 21 as development progresses that you can download if you want to help test the software or develop functions/fixes yourself but its generally recommended to stick to the stable versions (right now, 21.0) for general use unless you need the fixes offered in the nightlies. My 21.0 has handled everything I've thrown at it so I probably won't be updating until next stable.
Last edited by ans40 on Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

deadchip12 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:10 pm
SamuriHL wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:15 pm

Do you notice any differences in the latest build compared to the first build 21.0?
This question makes no sense. Of course there are differences. Lots of bug fixing, some new functionality as far as I've seen, etc. I never started with the "first build of 21". I started directly with nightlies as the guide I followed recommended them because of the bug fixes. No, I'm not regurgitating the changesets of the differences between the first build and all the nightlies since then to show what bugs have been fixed or what might have been added. They are in the changeset release notes for each nightly. What I can say is that everything I need it to do works in the nightlies.