KEYDB.cfg?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
mczocker32

KEYDB.cfg?

Post by mczocker32 »

Hello

I often read about keydb.cfg using FindVUK to decrypt a UHD with MakeMKV but It still won't work with a keydb.cfg in the /.MakeMKV folder?

Can someone help me with that?
Coopervid

Re: KEYDB.cfg?

Post by Coopervid »

It needs to be uppercase KEYDB.cfg. Check that.
mczocker32

Post by mczocker32 »

Coopervid wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:50 pm
It needs to be uppercase KEYDB.cfg. Check that.
Still no luck. I also used FindVUK to get the key and it was uploaded to the database, so it's in there. Is there some kind of indicator that MakeMKV even uses the file? Tried debug log but found nothing. My folder contains: _private_data.tar, KEYDB.cfg, MKB20_v77_Source_Code_65A6.tgz
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

If you used FindVUK to find the key, it won't work with MakeMKV. MakeMKV uses the VUK, which ironically, is not something FindVUK adds to the keydb. if the keydb gets updated with the VUK at some point before MakeMKV adds a key for your title to its own internal hashed keys, then it will work. Until then, it will not. I used to recommend AnyDVD in these situations as it can use unit keys from the keydb however due to recent circumstances, AnyDVD is no longer an option.

EDIT: If you have DVDFab, you can rip the disc to folder, and open the folder with MakeMKV.
mczocker32

Post by mczocker32 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:23 pm
If you used FindVUK to find the key, it won't work with MakeMKV. MakeMKV uses the VUK, which ironically, is not something FindVUK adds to the keydb. if the keydb gets updated with the VUK at some point before MakeMKV adds a key for your title to its own internal hashed keys, then it will work. Until then, it will not. I used to recommend AnyDVD in these situations as it can use unit keys from the keydb however due to recent circumstances, AnyDVD is no longer an option.

EDIT: If you have DVDFab, you can rip the disc to folder, and open the folder with MakeMKV.
That would make sense. I just stumbled uppon "if makemkv doesn't decrypt yet, just use keydb.cfg instead with it" and did'nt knew what was wrong. I got myself DVDFab Passkey to rip the mkv's a bit sooner, but for full backups I still prefer MakeMKV.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Right, so use PassKey to decrypt it realtime, and open the disc with MakeMKV then. That bypasses MakeMKV's decryption since PassKey will decrypt it in realtime.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

This program just came up on another forum. This looks quite interesting.

https://www.xreveal.com/

This will use the keydb.cfg to decrypt the disc. That should allow MakeMKV to open it. For those that don't have DVDfab products, this might be a good solution.