What software to fully read UHD Blu-ray?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
HarryKleins

What software to fully read UHD Blu-ray?

Post by HarryKleins »

Hello,

Thank you for the work you do.

My question would be to know what is the best software on Windows to read 4K UHD blu-rays while benefiting from the menus (chapter, audio, bonus).

Thank you
SamuriHL

Re: What software to fully read UHD Blu-ray?

Post by SamuriHL »

Not read. You mean play. And the terminology may seem trivial but it's not. MakeMKV can read UHD's just fine. To copy them. It can't, however, play them. With that out of the way:

Free: VLC
My preferred: JRiver Media Center

There are other solutions, as well but both of these will give you full menu playback if you so desire. And MakeMKV can integrate with both of them for realtime decryption of discs during playback.
MrPenguin

Post by MrPenguin »

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:48 pm
Not read. You mean play. And the terminology may seem trivial but it's not. MakeMKV can read UHD's just fine. To copy them. It can't, however, play them. With that out of the way:

Free: VLC
My preferred: JRiver Media Center

There are other solutions, as well but both of these will give you full menu playback if you so desire. And MakeMKV can integrate with both of them for realtime decryption of discs during playback.
In my experience, while VLC 3.x can handle BluRay menus correctly, it cannot handle HDR. (I believe HDR support is scheduled for VLC 4.x.) This results in VLC displaying "washed out" colours when playing UHD disks. Personally, I use mpv to play UHDs, which displays colours correctly but doesn't support menus.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

This is why I use JRiver. It handles everything properly.
HarryKleins

Post by HarryKleins »

Hi,

Thanks for JRiver I didn't know.
However, we insert the UHD blu-ray, it takes a lot of time to load, is this normal?
Also, the film starts directly, I don't come across the menus. I have to right click to choose the menu afterwards. Is there a way to directly launch the menu when launching the blu-ray?

THANKS
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Go into options, Video, look under Blu-ray Playback. Set menus to either ask or on.