Shutter Island UHD failed to copy

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
riffdex

Shutter Island UHD failed to copy

Post by riffdex »

I am trying to rip the new 4K UHD release for Shutter Island and it fails every time. I tried using FindVUK to generate decryption keys and it didn't resolve the issue. Any advice for me?
Woodstock

Re: Shutter Island UHD failed to copy

Post by Woodstock »

If the rip failed with MakeMKV, it should have produced a .TGZ file to be submitted to svq@makemkv.com for review and key generation. Did you do that?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

If you click through and look at the picture posted, it looks like the OP is trying to save the file to C: and getting an 'Access is denied' error. I presume that's some sort of Windows permissions error.

Copying & Pasting the log into a post is way more useful than posting a giant screenshot.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Probably just running makemkv as admin would fix that
Or moving it to a movies subdirectory or other drive would probably work too
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Seeing that the log says he's trying to save it to the root of C:, Windows is going to complain about that for security reasons. Billy's right - running as an admin account MAY let it happen, but... Do you REALLY?

Saving to root on C: is generally bad karma.
riffdex

Post by riffdex »

This error occurred when running MakeMKV as administrator, and it was after successfully ripping UHD disk Interstellar to the same destination folder just before it. I did however attempt to rip the same Shutter Island disc to a different destination drive in the computer (an HDD) just to check if the destination drive was the problem and it failed on the other drive. I’ll check for logs to send.
riffdex

Post by riffdex »

no .TGZ log file is generated during any failed attempt to rip. here's the error message of the latest failed attempt, to a different destination drive. This is a LibreDrive enabled UHD friendly drive on an appropriate firmware and has successfully ripped other UHD discs. Ripped Interstellar UHD successfully before attempting to rip this Shutter Island UHD disc. And by the way, it's brand new UHD disc never even played once, in flawless condition (no scratches). I'm really hoping that the Blu-Ray UHD disk I have isn't a bad production run.

https://postimg.cc/QKCyByGN

https://postimg.cc/KkH5WcwF
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

This image shows that the disk is being read (that explains the lack of a .TGZ file), but that errors are encountered. The read is able to continue with multiple retries, but, eventually, it fails.

This often happens with "new, just taken from the package, disks with no scratches", that have accumulated crud from sitting in their packages.

Have you tried cleaning the disk?
riffdex

Post by riffdex »

Actually, it's my impression it's an entirely new production run of Shutter Island, a 4 disc package including Blu-Ray UHD, Blu-Ray standard, DVD, and Digital Code. I ordered it in February on pre-release with the title scheduled for release on May 21st. I'm not disputing the disc may be bad, but it's not been accumulating crud any longer than a few weeks. Interstellar was released on the same format and pre-order option for May 21st release. But the Interstellar Blu-Ray UHD disc I ripped first thing, ripped just fine.

So it seems this disc is bad? No, I did not try to clean it. I'd be more inclined to initiate an exchange process with Amazon to send me a new copy of this Shutter Island release, at this point, than trying to clean the brand new disc and potentially damaging it more.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I've occasionally had to clean brand-new, right out of the package for the first time discs. My preferred cleaning method is plenty of water and dish soap, lightly using my finger going straight from the inner edge to the outer edge via the shortest path then drying with a can of air. But there are many reasonable ways to gently clean a disc.

In any case, I suggest trying to clean the disc first. If that doesn't work, initiate an exchange.
Toad King

Post by Toad King »

Try cleaning the disc with a microfiber cloth first. If that doesn't help then yeah try for a replacement.