Trouble Ripping UHD

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
KetchupGore

Trouble Ripping UHD

Post by KetchupGore »

Hey there!

Not sure if this is the right category, but I'm currently experiencing an error when trying to rip UHDs. Some information on what I'm working with..

MakeMKV: v1.17.5 (recent)
Drive: BDR-UD04 (LibreDrive enabled)

I'm using this software and drive for years now and didn't had any problems what so ever, but as of today I am apparently unable to rip UHDs. I first noticed it with the Arrow Video release of Mary Shelleys Frankenstein. Then I tried some titles I knew would work cause I ripped them before, to make sure it's not just a bad disc. Still errors after errors..

Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR

Does anybody know a solution or has a similar issue?

And I want to add its definitely not because of dirty or faulty discs. Some are brand new and others have only been played once and remain carefully stored since.

EDIT: After cleaning all discs and the lens I was still getting the same error. Only for UHDs I want to add. All Blu Rays I tested loaded up fine. So I just started throwing all UHDs I have at MakeMKV to see if I could get even one of them to read and I got lucky. Lord of War did open and and I noticed a line in the log reading:

Downloading latest HK to /Users/directory..

Not sure if it has something to with it but eversince MakeMKV is fully functioning again.
Last edited by KetchupGore on Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock

Re: Trouble Ripping UHD

Post by Woodstock »

Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR
The drive is disagreeing that the disks are perfectly readable. Have you tried resetting the drive (power off)? Cleaning the disks?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
EventDriven

Re: Trouble Ripping UHD

Post by EventDriven »

Sounds like your drive doesn't like it which is something that occasionally happens. Not that this helps you right now, but if you have a large number of discs to go through then you may find it helpful having more than one drive if possible. I've got two different drives, an Asus and a Buffalo, and have found that if one doesn't work then sometimes the other will.