Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
bivoj

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by bivoj »

Issue with encode to prores.422.mov as Interlaced, as i wrote in post before solved. After uninstall LAV filters and Avisynth+ and install it again, DoviS_cripts 1.9.2.9 and 1.9.3 works perfectly. Now i get prores Progresive.

If CM_analyse will be very slow, check your prores.422.mov files in mediainfo if is progresive. Probably can't be interlaced. Can you see in previous post. Maybe this will help someone.

Previous post:
viewtopic.php?p=140237#p140237
My english is very bad, forgive me for that. :-)
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

bivoj wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:27 am
If CM_analyse will be very slow, check your prores.422.mov files in mediainfo if is progresive. Probably can't be interlaced.
yep, that might be it.
ans40

Post by ans40 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:14 pm
CM_Analyse with L1 tuning is the latest version of the Dolby Algo which evolved a lot since Dolby was created. It went from fully dynamic with very aggressive/higher L1 values to lower & less dynamic metadata(10nits/1000nits floor). I wonder if they did that because of the complaints you often hear about DV being darker than HDR10.

With dark movies like Expendables and Prometheus, the difference is small. You'll notice a more significant difference with a brighter movie like in the example below.

Higher L1 means:
- more tone mapping, less clipping, darker image compared to HDR10
Lower L1 means:
-less tone mapping, *more clipping, brighter image closer to HDR10
* more clipping only if your TV is not capable of displaying the actual brightness. Basically, it just means that the image is displayed with less tone mapping, similar to static HDR10.

And here's a direct comparison using my x800m2 and an HDMI capture card:
PQ: https://slow.pics/c/vnEnoTiU
Plot: https://slow.pics/c/3QzuYren

the main benefit of CM:
- you can use official studios scene cuts.
- latest/best version of the Dolby algo
- Black metadata improved
- No need to use some strange resolve settings (1080p cubic)
- CLI tool. can be scripted/batch mode.

Not sure why it's still slow even when you don't touch your PC because I did 5 movies last night in batch mode with workflow (3-2) and some movie does indeed take more time but nothing close to your 7h
These time results include: Prores conversion, CM analyse, demuxing, Injection and mixing.

first movie took about 1h30 to process
2nd 1h20
3rd : took 3h
4th: took 2h
5th: took 1h20
Is there a consensus on whether the new algo is better than Resolve, or is it more preference on how dynamic we want the DV?
skull88

Post by skull88 »

ans40 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:34 pm
Is there a consensus on whether the new algo is better than Resolve, or is it more preference on how dynamic we want the DV?
My personal take: that is like asking do experts all agree that modern phones or cars are better than older models, of which you'll always get differing opinions (this even happens with some older industry guys who are employed to do HDR/DV grading who actively reject/dislike HDR as a format!). What is rational and logical is that the latest version is the one Dolby recommends and has improved over previous iterations so it is the best at this time -- personal opinion nor user consensus is really relevant, even if some movies are still released with old v2.9 algo DV passes at retail or have bad QC or simply happen to be SDR in an HDR container without trims. Unless Dolby buys DaVinci or something lol, Resolve is always going to have a slightly outdated DoVi SDK unless they state otherwise in release notes compared to official Dolby pro tools, not to mention having a brightness lift bug/issue when working with compressed files (even HEVC REMUX->proRes) over studio masters and running analysis at full UHD res (a.k.a. requiring the "cubic downscaling" tweak).

Having said that, you can do whatever you wish with your personal files to match your own preferences, either if you have the Dolby license and/or want to do your own custom grading in DaVinci Resolve, or just use different tuning presets with the recent Dolby cm_analyze version, as RESET states in his script and has a switch for tuning btw. If you can properly A/B test different DV metadata, meaningfully tell a difference on your setup and prefer one methodology/tool over all others, just go ahead and don't worry what anyone else does or states. Objectively, the default recommended tuning with official Dolby cm_analyze v5.4 is the best/most accurate option, provided proper QC'd retail DV is not available and the film does not have variable L5 blanking. That's my take after reading/watching/discussing this for a long time now with others and doing comparisons on my LG C2. What's most important is your TV, calibration and viewing conditions, the differences in how DV is generated are further down the line. Cheers!
ans40

Post by ans40 »

skull88 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:33 pm
ans40 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:34 pm
My personal take: that is like asking do experts all agree that modern phones or cars are better than older models, of which you'll always get differing opinions (this even happens with some older industry guys who are employed to do HDR/DV grading who actively reject/dislike HDR as a format!). What is rational and logical is that the latest version is the one Dolby recommends and has improved over previous iterations so it is the best at this time -- personal opinion nor user consensus is really relevant, even if some movies are still released with old v2.9 algo DV passes at retail or have bad QC or simply happen to be SDR in an HDR container without trims. Unless Dolby buys DaVinci or something lol, Resolve is always going to have a slightly outdated DoVi SDK unless they state otherwise in release notes compared to official Dolby pro tools, not to mention having a brightness lift bug/issue when working with compressed files (even HEVC REMUX->proRes) over studio masters and running analysis at full UHD res (a.k.a. requiring the "cubic downscaling" tweak).

Having said that, you can do whatever you wish with your personal files to match your own preferences, either if you have the Dolby license and/or want to do your own custom grading in DaVinci Resolve, or just use different tuning presets with the recent Dolby cm_analyze version, as RESET states in his script and has a switch for tuning btw. If you can properly A/B test different DV metadata, meaningfully tell a difference on your setup and prefer one methodology/tool over all others, just go ahead and don't worry what anyone else does or states. Objectively, the default recommended tuning with official Dolby cm_analyze v5.4 is the best/most accurate option, provided proper QC'd retail DV is not available and the film does not have variable L5 blanking. That's my take after reading/watching/discussing this for a long time now with others and doing comparisons on my LG C2. What's most important is your TV, calibration and viewing conditions, the differences in how DV is generated are further down the line. Cheers!
Ohh right yea, I missed how useful the tuning options were on that. All makes sense, thanks!
Mrmorrison

Post by Mrmorrison »

Hi everyone!
Lately I've been imagining videos with profile 8 that played on my Sony TV have some lowering of the Frame.

So I went looking in the DoviScript menus to find something that could fix this very annoying problem.
The function is there! And it's the fps fix (2-1-3).

However, I am curious to know if this problem is caused by something wrong on the part of whoever injects profile 8 into the video.
Can you tell me something?

Thank you!

EDIT:
By any chance, is there a way to understand if the frame needs to be adjusted even before watching the video?
EncodeThis420

Post by EncodeThis420 »

sw5163 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:09 am
EncodeThis420 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:43 pm
bobbymkV wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:05 pm

I stopped grabbing p8 hybrids earlier this year when I learned all of this. There is really only one uploader that I trust.
Is there any way that you could share which uploader you trust? Not sure of the rules here or if you can even send private messages. Feel free to decline if I am crossing a line.

But yea. I just don't understand it.....uploaders who used to upload source P5 materials just randomly all switched to uploading P8 files. I have no idea what happened. I legit cannot find any P5 files of recent streamed shows. They're literally all P8 lol. If they know that P8 files are bad form....then why do they keep doing it?
Most dv release groups I know stop releasing P5. There's a Chinese group still releases itunes P5, but I don't know if they were the original uploader or they just modified someone else. And I'm also looking for more trusted release group, their releases sometimes just broke, frame rate slightly off, etc.
Indiana.Jones.and.the.Dial.of.Destiny.2023.2160p.iTunes.WEB-DL.DDP.7.1.Atmos.DV.H.265-DreamHD
I really hope groups could upload P5 and P8.1 separately, instead of just hybrid them. I think with the increase of brightness in screen panel, brightness mapping in RPU is becoming less important. The 11.5 bit color of P5 and 4:2:2 sampling of P7 seems more beneficial.
Why do none of the encoders seem to care that there may be brightness grading differences between the p5 and hdr10 streams?

The chinese group you are referring to only releases itunes p5s? Not from any other source? Don't itunes p5s have screwed up colors?
axeyou

Post by axeyou »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 12:57 pm
*** I think I found an issue with the x800m2:

1- DTS-HD 2.0 plays only as lossy DTS (core)
Is this bug still present with the X800M2? I tried playing a DTS-HD MA 2.0 track and my receiver reported DTS-HD MA, not DTS. However, I have no clue if the X800M2 is doing something weird like wrapping the lossy DTS core in a DTS-HD MA container on the fly. How did you find this bug? Is there a test file with a silent core to easily verify what is being played?
RESET_9999 wrote:
2- DTS-HD 7.1 seems to always be out of sync about 2 frames (83MS) but strangely DTS-HD 5.1 is fine.
I don't see this bug listed on the DoVi Playback Devices sheet. Has it been fixed?

Thanks!
sw5163

Post by sw5163 »

EncodeThis420 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:36 pm
Why do none of the encoders seem to care that there may be brightness grading differences between the p5 and hdr10 streams?
Yeah, and since P5 RPU needs to be extracted to hybrid P8.1 either way, why they just don't bother to release the original P5 file?
EncodeThis420 wrote:
The chinese group you are referring to only releases itunes p5s?
I don't know, they seem to have a PT website, I can't play with PT, all I grab are their BT leaks.
I haven't seen them release P5 other than itunes source, but maybe because I'm not paying very much attention.
EncodeThis420 wrote:
Not from any other source?
I'm not as knowledgeable as you guys here, there is another streaming service provides P5? Movies Anywhere?
EncodeThis420 wrote:
Don't itunes p5s have screwed up colors?
Sometimes they release a V2 and color seems fine. But again, there might be other problem as I said above, so I'm still looking for more trusted group. Btw, does DVSUX still exist after the shutdown of rarbg? I really miss their releases.
Spider-Man.Across.the.Spider-Verse.2023.2160p.iTunes.WEB-DL.DDP.5.1.Atmos.DV.H.265-DreamHD
Spider-Man.Across.the.Spider-Verse.2023.V2.2160p.iTunes.WEB-DL.DDP.5.1.Atmos.DV.H.265-DreamHD
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

axeyou wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:04 am
RESET_9999 wrote:
*** I think I found an issue with the x800m2:

1- DTS-HD 2.0 plays only as lossy DTS (core)
Is this bug still present with the X800M2? I tried playing a DTS-HD MA 2.0 track and my receiver reported DTS-HD MA, not DTS. However, I have no clue if the X800M2 is doing something weird like wrapping the lossy DTS core in a DTS-HD MA container on the fly. How did you find this bug? Is there a test file with a silent core to easily verify what is being played?
Thanks!
it might be a thing with my AVR. The osd reports only DTS while with 5.1/7.1 tracks it reports DTS-HD.
It could also be related to the network playback , I don't think I ever tried via USB.
RESET_9999 wrote:
2- DTS-HD 7.1 seems to always be out of sync about 2 frames (83MS) but strangely DTS-HD 5.1 is fine.
I don't see this bug listed on the DoVi Playback Devices sheet. Has it been fixed?
I have a NAS with many drives (not in raid) and I noticed that when I watch something on the x800m2 and if someone in my house wake up another drive in my NAS, it will freeze my movie for a few second and resume with OOS audio.
If I just pause/resume, it fixes it.

So that might be what I noticed back then and it just randomly happened with DTS-HD 7.1 tracks because it's working great now.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Mrmorrison wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:56 am
Hi everyone!
Lately I've been imagining videos with profile 8 that played on my Sony TV have some lowering of the Frame.

So I went looking in the DoviScript menus to find something that could fix this very annoying problem.
The function is there! And it's the fps fix (2-1-3).

However, I am curious to know if this problem is caused by something wrong on the part of whoever injects profile 8 into the video.
Can you tell me something?

Thank you!

EDIT:
By any chance, is there a way to understand if the frame needs to be adjusted even before watching the video?
I'm not sure how changing the fps would make the file works on Sony TVs. I thought they only supported P5?
If you get the older version of my script, there were workflows that could make fake ''p5'' file from p8 that should works.
Mrmorrison

Post by Mrmorrison »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:12 am
I'm not sure how changing the fps would make the file works on Sony TVs. I thought they only supported P5?
If you get the older version of my script, there were workflows that could make fake ''p5'' file from p8 that should works.
My Sony TV plays all profiles up to 7 Mel from mkv. More than stable. Lately I've been taking profile 8 material (which didn't have any problems until some time ago) in which I notice fluidity problems. Problems that are totally solved with your script, running the "fix frame".

Only 20% of videos with Dolby Vision 8, from my web source, have this problem (with my TV, maybe with other devices it goes smoothly) and I was wondering if it was a problem of the person who injects Dolby Vision, maybe he made a mistake some settings.
Last edited by Mrmorrison on Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Mrmorrison wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:20 am
RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:12 am
My Sony TV plays all profiles up to 7 Mel from mkv. More than stable. Lately I've been taking profile 8 material (which didn't have any problems until some time ago) in which I notice fluidity problems. Problems that are totally solved with your script, running the "fix frame".
ha I see.
Then the problematic files are most likely P8 hybrid from iTunes...
Those webdl are missing the framerate bitstream information and this is what the script fixes.
Mrmorrison

Post by Mrmorrison »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:23 am
ha I see.
Then the problematic files are most likely P8 hybrid from iTunes...
Those webdl are missing the framerate bitstream information and this is what the script fixes.
In fact, now that you mention it, the problem showed up on all episodes of the Foundation, AppleTV series
EncodeThis420

Post by EncodeThis420 »

sw5163 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:52 am
EncodeThis420 wrote:
Yeah, and since P5 RPU needs to be extracted to hybrid P8.1 either way, why they just don't bother to release the original P5 file?
EncodeThis420 wrote:
The chinese group you are referring to only releases itunes p5s?
I don't know, they seem to have a PT website, I can't play with PT, all I grab are their BT leaks.
I haven't seen them release P5 other than itunes source, but maybe because I'm not paying very much attention.
EncodeThis420 wrote:
Not from any other source?
I'm not as knowledgeable as you guys here, there is another streaming service provides P5? Movies Anywhere?
EncodeThis420 wrote:
Don't itunes p5s have screwed up colors?
Sometimes they release a V2 and color seems fine. But again, there might be other problem as I said above, so I'm still looking for more trusted group. Btw, does DVSUX still exist after the shutdown of rarbg? I really miss their releases.
Spider-Man.Across.the.Spider-Verse.2023.2160p.iTunes.WEB-DL.DDP.5.1.Atmos.DV.H.265-DreamHD
Spider-Man.Across.the.Spider-Verse.2023.V2.2160p.iTunes.WEB-DL.DDP.5.1.Atmos.DV.H.265-DreamHD
I saw a few people say that DVSUX is no longer doing releases. I can't confirm that though. I have no idea. And yea, it's crazy that they don't also release the P5 versions since they're required for P8 conversion lol.