800.mpls vs 801.mpls

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
wesg92

800.mpls vs 801.mpls

Post by wesg92 »

Hi all,

I've had a few movies lately that had, from what I can tell in MakeMKV, identical titles - a 00800.mpls and 00801.mpls file.

The file size, duration, chapters, audio sources, etc. are all the same.

So, my questions are:

1. which one should I select?
2. how can I know?
3. what are the actual differences between them?

Thanks!
Sunoo

Re: 800.mpls vs 801.mpls

Post by Sunoo »

Depends on the film.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Generally speaking, for Disney disks, it depends on the primary language intended to be displayed. 800 is generally English. Sometimes, particularly on animated disks, signs and such that are in English show up in French or Spanish if you select the French or Spanish translation.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
wesg92

Post by wesg92 »

Woodstock wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:25 pm
Generally speaking, for Disney disks, it depends on the primary language intended to be displayed. 800 is generally English. Sometimes, particularly on animated disks, signs and such that are in English show up in French or Spanish if you select the French or Spanish translation.
Thanks. These aren't Disney disks tho.
Sunoo

Post by Sunoo »

Maybe you should tell us what you’re trying to rip then instead of forcing everyone to just make guesses until we happen to land on the right thing?
jayper

Post by jayper »

The content on a BD/UHD listed out by MakeMKV are either playlists (mpls), or individual m2ts files. The segment map listed in MakeMKV is the list of .m2ts files that make up the playlist. A playlist, does exactly what it sounds like, it is a list of files (m2ts) to play and in what order.

Just because two playlists have the same file size, duration, chapters, and audio sources does not mean they are the same. The content and listed m2ts files may be different. For example, the recent Avatar and Avatar: Way of Water discs looked the same, but 800.mpls had the Na'Vi language burned in. Everything else was the same.

If you were to make a decrypted backup of the disc with MakeMKV and look in the BDMV/STREAM folder inside the backup, you'd find a bunch of files named something like 00005.m2ts (the file names are always #####.m2ts).

In MakeMKV, highlight a given playlist, and in the right-hand pane you will see the segment map listed for that given playlist. The numbers shown in the MakeMKV segment map correspond to the files mentioned above. They will have the same naming structure, ex: 00005. Players like VLC or MPV will play those .m2ts files directly.

Review the segment maps for 800 and 801. If they're the same, the resulting MKVs will be the same (assuming they have the same subtitle and audio tracks). If they're different, play back the m2ts files in VLC and you'll see the differences.
wesg92

Post by wesg92 »

jayper wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:44 pm
The content on a BD/UHD listed out by MakeMKV are either playlists (mpls), or individual m2ts files. The segment map listed in MakeMKV is the list of .m2ts files that make up the playlist. A playlist, does exactly what it sounds like, it is a list of files (m2ts) to play and in what order.

Just because two playlists have the same file size, duration, chapters, and audio sources does not mean they are the same. The content and listed m2ts files may be different. For example, the recent Avatar and Avatar: Way of Water discs looked the same, but 800.mpls had the Na'Vi language burned in. Everything else was the same.

If you were to make a decrypted backup of the disc with MakeMKV and look in the BDMV/STREAM folder inside the backup, you'd find a bunch of files named something like 00005.m2ts (the file names are always #####.m2ts).

In MakeMKV, highlight a given playlist, and in the right-hand pane you will see the segment map listed for that given playlist. The numbers shown in the MakeMKV segment map correspond to the files mentioned above. They will have the same naming structure, ex: 00005. Players like VLC or MPV will play those .m2ts files directly.

Review the segment maps for 800 and 801. If they're the same, the resulting MKVs will be the same (assuming they have the same subtitle and audio tracks). If they're different, play back the m2ts files in VLC and you'll see the differences.
Awesome. Thanks for being helpful! Sunoo take note.
audiom3

Post by audiom3 »

Generally speaking (and I do not recall a single exception to this), I always rip the lowest/even numbered track 0000.mpls or 0100.mpls, 0800.mpls, etc. The obvious exception would be subtitle language or fake playlists. I am English speaking and prefer Spanish subs for my girlfriend, so the even titles have always contained the correct language(s) for me. Again, unless I forgot the rare exception. The Avatar post above proved this works because mine contained the burned-in subs vs track 0801 which did not. Not seeing this until well after I ripped my copy, I had the burned-in (yellow IIRC?) subs, which means I ripped 0800 without even thinking about it.
Sunoo

Post by Sunoo »

wesg92 wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:04 am
Awesome. Thanks for being helpful! Sunoo take note.
My apologies for not bending over backwards when you’ve provided nowhere near enough information.

If you provided what movie you were trying to rip (which you still haven’t), people likely could have guided you as to which playlist to use. All we know is that it’s not a Disney disc.

Nothing I’ve said is wrong.
wesg92

Post by wesg92 »

Sunoo wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:28 pm

My apologies for not bending over backwards when you’ve provided nowhere near enough information.

If you provided what movie you were trying to rip (which you still haven’t), people likely could have guided you as to which playlist to use. All we know is that it’s not a Disney disc.

Nothing I’ve said is wrong.
It was multiple movies, and I want to learn why/how so I don't have to post about a specific movie each time it happens. That was the point of the post.