The_Maltese_Falcon_B8FE.tgz

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Elephen

The_Maltese_Falcon_B8FE.tgz

Post by Elephen »

It's been several days since I first reported the problem with opening "The Maltese Falcon" (B8FE.tgz). I'm still getting a message about the volume key not being found. Saved AACS dump file as /Users/xxxxxxxx/Library/MakeMKV/MKB20_v77_The_Maltese_Falcon_B8FE.tgz

For your information, my Plex library includes 35 UHD films, which shows that MakeMKV has worked on my old Mac mini and my new M1 Mac mini.

My MakeMKV preferences setting enables Internet assess. I don't know if you can see the following screenshot, but it shows that setting.
Screenshot 2023-04-30 at 4.12.55 AM.png

I don’t know enough about DNS and firewalls to mess about with those settings, which hasn’t been necessary in the past. I upgrade the MacOS whenever a new version is available, but don't know if upgrading changes the DNS or firewall settings. The current version is Ventura 13.3.1.

I hope someone can find the volume key for B8FE. Thanks.
dcoke22

Re: The_Maltese_Falcon_B8FE.tgz

Post by dcoke22 »

Did you submit the dump as suggested by the UHD FAQ?

MakeMKV says that "the volume key is unknown for this disc"?
MakeMKV produces an AACS .tgz dump file whenever you try to open a disc for which the key is unknown, and will report that the dump has been created. Email the dump file to svq@makemkv.com.
Elephen

Post by Elephen »

I have sent the dump file a few times (or at least I think I have). By the way, another member has the same problem with B8FE. I sent him a private message to ask whether the issue has been resolved in his case. If it has, that would suggest that the problem is on my end. So far, I have not heard from him. Of course, because I have never sent a private message before, it’s possible that my message was not received.

Edit: Perhaps you can clarify something for me. When we are required to send the dump file, do we send the long file name that, in this case, includes “B8FE.tgz” or do we click on that long file name to obtain a file stored on our computer and then send that file? Thanks.
Last edited by Elephen on Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The check would be in the logs from starting MakeMKV. If someone else has managed to rip the disk, there should be a note of your copy trying to download the key.

That can be enabled/disabled in your configuration, but it can also be stopped by your DNS. Some popular DNS servers, especially in Europe, will prevent you from contacting "dangerous" sites. "Danger" is a flexible concept... it's "dangerous" to defeat disk encryption, after all.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Elephen

Post by Elephen »

I looked at the log file, but did not see anything about a check waiting. The log file mostly says the same things that I have been receiving for the past three to four days--namely, the volume key is unknown. If you look at comments posted under "The Maltese Falcon: 4K UHD" a few days ago, you will see one comment by a gentlemen who is having the same issue with this disk.

I will try again to send the dump file to the appropriate party. Thanks.
mysterysup

Post by mysterysup »

There are a few recently-released titles which have yet to be decrypted, I submitted a dump for one of them a week ago and have not been able to decrypt the disc. Never had an issue with DNS filtering so I assume it's just not been added to the HK file yet.

I also don't believe you need to re-submit your dump file so long as you can see that it sent to svq the first time and you didn't receive a response from svq. It is a bit longer than normal but it will decrypt eventually.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Elephen wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:56 pm
Edit: Perhaps you can clarify something for me. When we are required to send the dump file, do we send the long file name that, in this case, includes “B8FE.tgz” or do we click on that long file name to obtain a file stored on our computer and then send that file? Thanks.
Send the whole .tgz file. It should be relatively small and easy to send as an attachment in email.
Elephen

Post by Elephen »

Thanks. I sent that file.
Elephen

Post by Elephen »

Success at last. Thank you.
TBill

Post by TBill »

Worked for me, too. Thanks!