Can't rip from MakeMKV but can copy entire disc manually - still doesn't work

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Paul Cordingley

Can't rip from MakeMKV but can copy entire disc manually - still doesn't work

Post by Paul Cordingley »

Hi all,

I have two discs which will not rip via MakeMKV. One of them (Candyman) reads about 2/3rds and then has read errors. The other one (Flash Gordon) has all sorts of problems even opening, and if it ever gets that far it fails soon into ripping.

Having said that, I can pull the entire contents of both files onto the hard drive (macOS Ventura) with no errors, so I do have the entire contents for both discs. I have even followed the advice to then copy across the discatt.dat and place them in the respective folders.

When I open the discatt.dat file for either disc, I get the "The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc" message, even though they are older discs and I have ripped plenty since I got these a while ago.

Should I just submit the dumps and hope for the best, or is there something I am not doing right?

For example, the Flash Gordon UHD folder I have made contains:

---------------------
AACS (folder)
CERTIFICATE (folder)
BDMV (84.28GB)
discatt.dat (which I copied from the MakeMKV ripping process just as it starts)
---------------------

I presume that I open the "discatt.dat" file from File -> Open files ? Or should I open these discs from a different file within the folder?

Thanks,
Paul.
Ezatoka

Re: Can't rip from MakeMKV but can copy entire disc manually - still doesn't work

Post by Ezatoka »

UHDs also almost always have bus encryption active. That is just copying the contents won't work with them.

When did you copy the files from the e.g. Candyman disk? I think, if you open the Candyman UHD with MakeMKV (aka you can select which tracks you want to become a MKV) and then while having that open copy the files from the disk, the bus encryption should be gone, because MakeMKV disabled it while having opened the disk.
Paul Cordingley

Re: Can't rip from MakeMKV but can copy entire disc manually - still doesn't work

Ah! Got it, thanks for explaining it. I did as you suggest, and had the same problems at the same spots this time simply copying the contents, so that makes sense.

I’ll just have to re-buy these two discs - not bad odds given that I’ve ripped a few hundred, that’s less than 1% failure rate. Interesting point that they both play flawlessly in the Oppo.

Cheers,
Paul.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Do you have a different optical drive you could try to rip them on? Sometimes the same disc in a different optical drive will yield different results.
Paul Cordingley

Yeah, I have an internal drive in another PC and both disks have exactly the same problems in that. So different architecture (Windows vs PC), different drives (SATA internal vs USB external) and exactly the same outcome. Bummer, but I suspect manufacturing defects in the discs, even though again they both play without a single skip on the Oppo.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Paul Cordingley wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:43 am
Ah! Got it, thanks for explaining it. I did as you suggest, and had the same problems at the same spots this time simply copying the contents, so that makes sense.

I’ll just have to re-buy these two discs - not bad odds given that I’ve ripped a few hundred, that’s less than 1% failure rate. Interesting point that they both play flawlessly in the Oppo.

Cheers,
Paul.
Did you give the discs a good cleaning before trying to rip again?
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Paul Cordingley

A "good cleaning" doesn't come near to describing what I've done to these discs, the poor things :lol:

I have plenty of experience ripping discs over the years, and I've certainly had to clean the odd one here and there to get it to work, but these two simply fail repeatedly in the same way every time, no matter what I do. Other than ripping them without bus encryption, where they rip flawlessly but are apparently not processable as I understand it.