Replacement UHD Drive

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
SidebandSamurai

Replacement UHD Drive

Post by SidebandSamurai »

Hello Everyone.

I currently have two ARCHGON - MD-8107S-U3-UHD. According to a post in this forum (on another board) I have flashed both drives with the recommended
firmware. It significantly sped up my UHD rips. Recently I started seeing errors when ripping Blu-ray, and after looking up the error, It was posted in one of the boards in this forum that the drive is dyeing and needs to be replaced. I find it hard to believe that both devices on the same disc have the same error but here I am.

Now when ripping a simple DVD, it ripped the video but not the audio. The other device ripped the whole movie
successfully. The playback stopped after 20 minutes, which lead me to believe the resulting MKV was corrupted. After looking
into this further, It looked like the laptop went to sleep during the file copy shutting down the network connection while the copy was occurring,
and that was what corrupted it.

I am looking for suggestions on replacement drives. I ran across one here in the forum and I am looking for any feedback.
I want to buy two of these to replace the other drives, and I want a reliable drive that I wont have to worry
about failing in the next month. The drive I am interested in is ASUS BW-16D1HT This is a standard 5.25" drive that will fit in my case.

I am currently building a large ripping machine with 10 drives in it, mostly DVD drives, but these two will rip
my UHD and Blu-ray disks.

I am open to any options you might suggest.
jayper

Re: Replacement UHD Drive

Post by jayper »

Great resource: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634

I have had great luck with the LG BU40N for years now.