Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
ArArdin

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by ArArdin »

rophel wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:14 pm
...added it in MKVToolnix to the default duration/FPS "23.976" (make sure you do this to ALL tracks by selecting them all first)...
I thought "Default duration/FPS" could only be set for a videotrack?
Bluraymonster

Post by Bluraymonster »

Hello everybody I have started to rip my UHD Discs again just so that i can use them with the dolby vision and atmos and this is very easy now with the last update of MakMkv 1.16.5 the file shows up on my server through the plex app as 4K DoVi/HDR10 (HEVC Main 10) so it rips both off the disc and I can play them on my Panasonic OLED in Dolby Vision and on my Panasonic Led in HDR so this is great and no messing about converting it to MP4 regards Bluraymonster
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

After having decrypted your post, maybe you'd like to use proper sentences and latest MakeMKV version 1.17.1.
yossSP

Post by yossSP »

Hi all, I'll give my feedback for Chromecast with Google TV (aka CCwGTV) to "DoVi file playback support on devices" datasheet.

I playback mkv files from a Plex/Emby server installed on a updated Windows 11 Pro 64bits PC. The CCwGTV is connected to the HDMI eARC port of my OLED TV Panasonic 65HZ1000 and the audio es directed via ARC to my outdated Onkyo receiver.
Plex can play DV titles in any format (M2TS & TS & MP4 & MKV) but Emby refuse to play DV in M2TS & TS files (falling back to HDR10 or other base layer).

By default, the device playbacks DoVi to LLDV unless the Tv doesn't support LLDV, but a few weeks ago the CCwGTV receives its last firmware update which has enabled at last a new option under the Dolby Vision settings that let adjust the type of Dolby Vision HDMI mode, Low Latency or Standard.
I have tried a lot with both modes and I can't distingish any difference in picture quality, so that, or the setting doesn't really work or the Player-LED quality of the CCwGTV is as good as the TV-LED of my TV.

NETWORK:
Embeded 5Ghz Wifi AC. I've metered with iperf3 a maximum local network bandwith of about 120mbps, with good Wifi coverage. Its low local bandwith and its susceptibility to interference made the embeded Wifi not reliable for playback high bandwith files.

I use a USB Type C Hub with ethernet card that gives up to 320mbps of local network bandwith completelly stable with any high bandwith file.

PROFILE 7 DOLBY VISION DUAL-TRACK DUAL-LAYER FEL SUPPORT: NO. It can't play any DoVi DT file, it falls back to the first track (normally HDR10).

PROFILE 7 DOLBY VISION SINGLE-TRACK DUAL-LAYER FEL SUPPORT: YES.
- It plays M2TS & TS & MP4 & MKV totally stable. Tested from begining to end of 150 minutes mkv files.
- Only with some files, if you FF/RW or jump to a concrete scene it loose DoVi processing and stutters. It seems it's related with the version of MakeMKV or software used.
- I couldn't see FEL out of sync neither resuming nor FF/RW a video.
- Compared with internal TV player colors are perfectly accurate.

PROFILE 8 DOLBY VISION SUPPORT: YES
M2TS & TS & MP4 & MKV: Colors are accurate

PROFILE 5 DOLBY VISION SUPPORT: YES
M2TS & TS & MP4 & MKV: Colors are accurate

AUDIO SUPPORT:
Supports:
  • Dolby Digital
  • Dolby Digital Plus
  • Dolby digital Plus + Dolby Atmos
  • DTS
  • Passthrough of DTS Core 5.1 inside DTS-HD
  • AAC
  • PCM
Doesn't support:
  • Dolby TrueHD
  • Dolby TrueHD + Dolby Atmos
  • DTS-HD
  • DTS:X
But:
  • Kodi, Plex and Emby decode automatically lossless audio into lossless PCM Multichannel up to 7.1, so that if you connect the CCwGTV right to your AVR or via eARC, you could enjoy lossless audio (but not positional Atmos/DTS:X)
At the moment, in my country there is almost no Atmos/DTS-X film in my language, and I'm not capable of enjoy a film in english (my english is not so good), so I will live without positional audio a long time. Also my AVR doesn't support Atmos or DTS-X, but it's capable of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD.

As my outdated AVR can't receive multichannel PCM from ARC, my solution is to convert the best quality audio in my language if it isn't supported by the AVR. I do it with ffmpeg converting to EAC3 5.1 1536kbps, and adding it as the default audio track. There are only a few of films with more than 5.1 channels in my language and my ear can't distinguish the EAC3 converted track from the original. But it's my particular case, each one will be different.

KNOWN ISSUES / LIMITATIONS:
- Only with some files, if you FF/RW or jump to a concrete scene it loose DoVi processing and stutters. It seems it's related with the version of MakeMKV or software used.
- No framerate and resolution match (it will be supported in Android 12 if it would be updated).
Last edited by yossSP on Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:24 am, edited 14 times in total.
yossSP

Post by yossSP »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:29 am
sure 10 000nits is bright but it's nothing compared to real-life highlights.
I think grading at 10 000nits(or maybe at least 4000) is a good idea as long as you also do the DV trim passes for low-nits TVs.
Because you can keep the highest dynamic range possible and your grade is future-proof for when there are brighter TVs. (eg no need to re-grade the movie in 10 years when all the TVs are 4000nits capable)
RESET_9999, I've seen and downloaded the new DoVi test files, but I don't know what means the L1, L2, L3, L8 terms, please could explain to me in short or redirect to any post which explain it so I could test in my Chromecast with Google TV.
Thanks in advance.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

yossSP wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:37 pm
- It plays M2TS & TS & MP4 & MKV totally stable. Tested from begining to end of 150 minutes mkv files.
- Only with some files, FEL goes out of sync randomly if you FF/RW or jump to a concrete scene. It seems it's related with the version of MakeMKV or software used.
- FEL never goes out of sync if you resume a video.
Sync issue sometimes occurs with my CCwGTV and Plex and mp4 FEL files too

The one I use to test myself for this is Mission Impossible Fallout - at the start of the film when they're in the tunnel and get ambushed, the lights along the walls in the tunnel, the lights from the FEL layer will be superimposed over Tom Cruise's face or other wrong parts, very easy to distinguish with this scene and the lights if it's misaligned
yossSP

Post by yossSP »

staknhalo wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:03 pm
yossSP wrote:
- Only with some files, FEL goes out of sync randomly if you FF/RW or jump to a concrete scene. It seems it's related with the version of MakeMKV or software used.
- FEL never goes out of sync if you resume a video.
Sync issue sometimes occurs with my CCwGTV and Plex and mp4 FEL files too

The one I use to test myself for this is Mission Impossible Fallout - at the start of the film when they're in the tunnel and get ambushed, the lights along the walls in the tunnel, the lights from the FEL layer will be superimposed over Tom Cruise's face or other wrong parts, very easy to distinguish with this scene and the lights if it's misaligned
It occurs only with mp4 files? I've only could test mkv files.
I'll also test it with this scene, but it will be with a mkv file.

I made a mistake and my sentence weren't accurate, so I've changed my review:
- I couldn't see FEL out of sync neither resuming nor FF/RW a video.
Last edited by yossSP on Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mattl0

Post by Mattl0 »

The chromecast is able to decode fel, isn’t it?

If It can send tv led signal , will
It be fel?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

yossSP wrote:
Hi all, I'll give my feedback for Chromecast with Google TV (aka CCwGTV) to "DoVi file playback support on devices" datasheet.
thanks I linked your review.
yossSP wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:56 pm
RESET_9999, I've seen and downloaded the new DoVi test files, but I don't know what means the L1, L2, L3, L8 terms, please could explain to me in short or redirect to any post which explain it so I could test in my Chromecast with Google TV.
Thanks in advance.
see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOhnxXnrauI and https://professionalsupport.dolby.com/s ... uage=en_US
check if you see a reaction for L1/L2/L8 in LLDV/TV-LED
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

yossSP wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:55 pm
i only do mp4 for plex for myself, no mkv on the server at all so i can only say it happens with mp4 for me

it doesn't happen 100% of the time, but enough I was able to notice + reproduce it at that scene, I think it was from FF/RW on my end too

this was also end of 2021/start of 2022

chromecast is at a different 1080p tv since then so i dunno if an update since fixed it totally or just some more or whatever
lightsout

Post by lightsout »

Can someone help me out, I was under the impression that Makemkv can now do a remux in MKV with DV. Do I need to do more than Makemkv to get this to work. I am currently ripping Jurassic World, playback will be on a Zidoo Z9X and potentially a Shield. Thanks

EDIT## Hmmm, maybe I am confused, I found the google drive links with the DoVi scripts, but the Ziddo is displaying DV from a straight rip.
rophel

Post by rophel »

Ran into some files that have "SMPTE ST 2094 App 4" which is described as "It is a 3 point curve instead of a 10 point curve though. Essentially a pre-release version of HDR10+ Profile B."

The script is not able to convert it to DV, and it fails entirely and won't generate via madVR. Any chance of getting that to work?

Feel free to DM and I can link you to a sample.
yossSP

Post by yossSP »

lightsout wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:16 am
Can someone help me out, I was under the impression that Makemkv can now do a remux in MKV with DV. Do I need to do more than Makemkv to get this to work. I am currently ripping Jurassic World, playback will be on a Zidoo Z9X and potentially a Shield. Thanks

EDIT## Hmmm, maybe I am confused, I found the google drive links with the DoVi scripts, but the Ziddo is displaying DV from a straight rip.
Hi, MakeMKV can do a remux from a UHD DoVi FEL/MEL disc (dual track/dual layer) to a mkv file DoVi FEL/MEL 7.06 (single track/dual layer). The rip is perfect with no loss in quality.

You don't need any other software, but you'll need a device capable of playing this kind of file and processing DoVi in the right way, specially FEL, which is more difficult.

Read this thread patiently, it's plenty of reviews about every device.
yossSP

Post by yossSP »

staknhalo wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:22 am
yossSP wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:55 pm
i only do mp4 for plex for myself, no mkv on the server at all so i can only say it happens with mp4 for me

it doesn't happen 100% of the time, but enough I was able to notice + reproduce it at that scene, I think it was from FF/RW on my end too

this was also end of 2021/start of 2022

chromecast is at a different 1080p tv since then so i dunno if an update since fixed it totally or just some more or whatever
Ok, so now it's mainly corrected for your actual setup.

I have tested this scene using FF/RW and couldn't see any artifact.
yossSP

Post by yossSP »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:56 am
yossSP wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:56 pm
Thanks in advance.
see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOhnxXnrauI and https://professionalsupport.dolby.com/s ... uage=en_US
check if you see a reaction for L1/L2/L8 in LLDV/TV-LED
Thanks. I'll test it and report here.