Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Amused

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Amused »

Amused wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:29 pm
ArArdin wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:36 am
Amused wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:28 pm
To be honest with you, I completely abandoned my Zidoo Z1000 Pro player (which plays it all hassle free by the way) since member @RESET_9999 basically taught me how to utilize the “dual track-dual layer” files with my Sony X700 UHD player, using his fantastic DoVi Scripts (the link can be found in his signature).. I can tell you straight away - there is no comparison. The image produced by the Sony player from a Profile 7 FEL DV file is by far superior to the one produced by the Zidoo player (which cannot utilize the full fat DoVi) - the richness of colors, the absence of any color banding, the depth of the image, etc. - all far superior, basically no difference compared to a Dolby Vision UHD disc. BTW, I am ripping the movies to a full Blu Ray folder in order to be able to use FF/RW and chapters within a movie.
I wouldn't describe picture-quality difference using such superlatives.
In my experience, (properly processed) FEL does not always yield the same impact. Sometimes the difference to BL + RPU is obvious, sometimes it's very hard to tell any.
Having a Z9X, eventhough bothered with all Zidoo quirks and suffering from a seemingly neverending firmware saga, I never noticed it showing any color banding. Not for "regular" video, nor for DV material. And regardless of whether FEL is ignored or not present. As a sidenote, I can imagine switching DV mode from "tv-led" to "player-led" may have influence.

But, having UHDBD players also, I would agree that their full blown FEL playback overall beats a mediaplayer.
I used the 4K UHD rip (BDMV folder) of the movie “Hobbit - An unexpected journey” to test the differences between the Zidoo and the Sony X700. I believe it is profile 7 MEL. Compared to the Sony, the Zidoo appeared to produce a somewhat softer image with less depth and at times too “digital”. The colors were not as vibrant (for example the grass around the hobbits’ houses, as well as fire scenes). The Sony also gives a brighter DoVi image for some reason.
Just tested a HDR10 movie (Dunkirk) - the results are the same. It is not Dolby Vision per se - there are processing differences between the X700 and the Zidoo. The X700 is simply better. Waiting for delivery of a X800m2, I hope there will be some (however slight) improvement over the X700. Maybe not.
UHD players: Sony X700, Zidoo Z1000 Pro
Audio system: Sony HT-A9
TV: Sony 77A80J
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

Amused wrote:
Compared to the Sony, the Zidoo appeared to produce a somewhat softer image with less depth and at times too “digital”. The colors were not as vibrant (for example the grass around the hobbits’ houses, as well as fire scenes). The Sony also gives a brighter DoVi image for some reason.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this sounds like you're comparing "player-led" modes. Which on itself is fine of course. I've always experienced a nicer image when tonemapping is done by (my) tv. Therefore, I always have "tv-led" mode set.
sofakng wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:15 pm
Can Dolby Vision be decoded on a PC to display on an HDR monitor?
Not so for "power", I doubt if there is or ever will be any soft- or hardware that can convert all DV into static HDR video. Dolby Vision profiles are a mix of single- and duallayer videostreams, different HDR families, and profile 5 is even encoded in a DV proprietary colorspace. RPU is dynamic, which has to be converted into static HDR10 metadata. If there'd be software or hardware that can take care of this all, I would be surprised tbh.

Some DV profiles already carry HDR10 video, which can directly be played back on a HDR10-supporting monitor. Where RPU and possibly present FEL will be ignored of course.
Amused

Post by Amused »

ArArdin wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:32 pm
Amused wrote:
Compared to the Sony, the Zidoo appeared to produce a somewhat softer image with less depth and at times too “digital”. The colors were not as vibrant (for example the grass around the hobbits’ houses, as well as fire scenes). The Sony also gives a brighter DoVi image for some reason.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this sounds like you're comparing "player-led" modes. Which on itself is fine of course. I've always experienced a nicer image when tonemapping is done by (my) tv. Therefore, I always have "tv-led" mode set.
TV-led on both devices.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

Amused wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:16 pm
ArArdin wrote:
Amused wrote:
TV-led on both devices.
Is there a way to check if the x700 is playing tv led dolby vision instead of play led?
powdeau

Post by powdeau »

So how big the issue is with the L1 bug on C1+x700 in real content (BD movies)? Is it night and day difference like in the pattern videos? Is the DV on BD still better than HDR10?
Amused

Post by Amused »

deadchip12 wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:04 pm
Amused wrote:
ArArdin wrote:

TV-led on both devices.
Is there a way to check if the x700 is playing tv led dolby vision instead of play led?
I have the Philips HDMI Sync Box between the tv and both players (Sony and Zidoo). The Sync Box synchronizes the lights of different Philips hue products to the image on the screen.

The Sync Box works with Dolby Vision only if it’s player-led (LLDV). It doesn’t work with TV-led Dolby Vision, unless I switch on the “Dolby Vision Enhanced compatibility” option inside the Sync Box settings. This option basically forces the player to switch to LLDV and then the lights work. So if the Hue lights sync without the DV enhanced compatibility option checked - it’s player-led DV. If they don’t work - it’s TV-led DV.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

Amused wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:02 am
deadchip12 wrote:
Amused wrote:

TV-led on both devices.
I have the Philips HDMI Sync Box between the tv and both players (Sony and Zidoo). The Sync Box synchronizes the lights of different Philips hue products to the image on the screen.

The Sync Box works with Dolby Vision only if it’s player-led (LLDV). It doesn’t work with TV-led Dolby Vision, unless I switch on the “Dolby Vision Enhanced compatibility” option inside the Sync Box settings. This option basically forces the player to switch to LLDV and then the lights work. So if the Hue lights sync without the DV enhanced compatibility option checked - it’s player-led DV. If they don’t work - it’s TV-led DV.
Does the x700 switch to tv led dolby vision automatically when the tv supports tv led dolby vision? There's no option to switch between tv led and player led on the x700.
Amused

Post by Amused »

deadchip12 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:46 am
Amused wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:02 am
deadchip12 wrote:

Does the x700 switch to tv led dolby vision automatically when the tv supports tv led dolby vision? There's no option to switch between tv led and player led on the x700.
I think this is precisely the way it works. I believe it will always send TV-led DV (8 bit) if the TV supports it, otherwise it will send LLDV (12 bit). There is no option to switch between player-led and TV-led on the Sony, I think Oppo 203 has this option (as well as the Zidoo players).
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

Do you guys see any difference perceptually with TV led? Or just want it cause it's technically better? I know even if you see something it could be subjective in perception, etc - just curious really. I feel like when I watch a FEL for example the image has more depth to it it seems.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

staknhalo wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:01 pm
Do you guys see any difference perceptually with TV led?
it depends on which player you use. On the x700/x800m2/Shield the L1 and L2 trims are not working at all in LLDV.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:40 pm
staknhalo wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:01 pm
Do you guys see any difference perceptually with TV led?
it depends on which player you use. On the x700/x800m2/Shield the L1 and L2 trims are not working at all in LLDV.
ah, so there's obvious stuff missing
sergonnn111

Post by sergonnn111 »

HI i don t understand how i can drag and drop mkv file doly vision into reset999 scripts i want to do ts file dolby vision i just dont understand sorry for my english
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

sergonnn111 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:50 pm
HI i don t understand how i can drag and drop mkv file doly vision into reset999 scripts i want to do ts file dolby vision i just dont understand sorry for my english
if you want profile 8 DV for TV playback(or any other non-fel device) and your MKV input is profile 7, select: 4-2-1 if you have to convert lossless audio or if not: 4-2-3
if you want DV playback on x700/x800m2/oppo and your MKV input is profile 7, select: 4-3-2 if you want to convert THD or if not: 4-3-4
There are workflows for when your input is bluray disc as well.

if your MKV input is profile 8 or 5, just remux in tsmuxer.
sergonnn111

Post by sergonnn111 »

yes, my mkv file in 8 profile dolby vision and i did it in last versions of ts muxer and this don t work, i don t know why but Hybrid mkv 8 profile is working in ts muxer and native lg oled player is dolby vision
sergonnn111

Post by sergonnn111 »

my tv is lg oled e8 2018