Question re: Dolby Vision backups vs. rips

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
ElJimador

Question re: Dolby Vision backups vs. rips

Post by ElJimador »

Hi. Sorry if this has been covered in other threads but I just want to know if there is any DV info saved only in a full disc backup that is not saved when you rip the movie title individually? Since the beginning I have been content to play my UHD rips on my HTPC with HDR only but have been saving the full disc backups of all DV movies in case there's a point in the future where I'll be able to play them in my setup with both the DV + HD audio (assuming there might be DV data in the backup that's not included when you rip the title alone from it). But if that's not the case then I'm just wasting storage space keeping all the full discs that I'd rather free up at this point.

And again just for future-proofing, can anyone confirm whether the rip and/or full backup includes all the DV data that's on the disc itself? The discs I send to my father to watch on his 4K player and I want to make sure I know what exactly I need to back up at this point just in case he scratches or loses any of them. Thanks!
dcoke22

Re: Question re: Dolby Vision backups vs. rips

Post by dcoke22 »

I'm pretty sure the DV data is the same. I think, however, there are players that may only or may better play DV movies from the structure of a backup vs from a .mkv file. Or from a format that is more easy to convert to from a backup than a .mkv file.

The user RESET_9999 has made a spreadsheet with some data about players and what they support. You can find it in this post.