True Romance - Arrow release

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
DaveQ

True Romance - Arrow release

Post by DaveQ »

I picked up the Arrow release of True Romance on 4K UHD. But the latest version of MakeMKV is unable to import it. The first time I inserted the disc, it accepted it and showed the initial disc info. When I tried to load the list of titles, the drive made loud seeking noises, and a bunch of error messages were displayed.

Now I can't even get it to recognize the disc when inserted. It just seeks, re-seeks, and then ejects it.

This disc works fine in my Oppo UDP-203. Other 4K UHD discs -- both older (The Shining) and newer (Spider-Man: No Way Home) -- work fine with MakeMKV. My drive is an LG WH16NS60.

Any advice?
Billycar11

Re: True Romance - Arrow release

Post by Billycar11 »

Clean the disc
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
DaveQ

Post by DaveQ »

Billycar11 wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:36 pm
Clean the disc
Should've mentioned that in my first post. I did clean the disc as part of my troubleshooting. It didn't help at all.

I tried several more times since I first posted, and on a couple of occasions the disc has loaded. Once it even gave me the full list of titles, after a lengthy and very noisy (seek sounds) process.

But when I tried to rip one of the titles, it failed.

I give up. I can pop the disc into my Oppo when I want to watch it in 4K UHD. My family and friends can live with the old 2009 release I have on my Plex server.
DaveQ

Post by DaveQ »

Just a followup post to summarize what's happened and seek feedback from others with the same disc.

The first time I cleaned the disc, I used the method recommended by the disc manufacturers -- clean with a soft, dry cloth, wiping from center to edge. As previously described, that didn't help.

I tried cleaning it again using a method I've used numerous times before on used, soiled, or otherwise problematic discs -- wash gently with warm water and dish soap, never wiping the disc with anything harder than the pads of my fingers. Dry with a soft cotton cloth.

That didn't help either.

The disc never looked dirty to the naked eye, but after 11 years of ripping blu-rays, I know that discs which appear clean can actually have something on them that's difficult to see due to the reflectivity and optical characteristics of the disc. Which is why I've had to resort to warm water and dish soap. That nearly always works, allowing me to rip the titles I want. This is actually the first time in 7 or 8 years that nothing I've tried has worked.

I don't know if this particular title is a problematic pressing, or if mine is just one bad apple. But I don't see many comments on these forums about this disc either way, so I guess it's just not that popular of a purchase.

If anybody else has this disc and was able to rip it successfully, please let me know. Thanks.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I don't have this disc, but once or twice I've had a disc that won't rip even after cleaning or in a different optical drive. Fortunately, I've still been in my return window and able to exchange the disc. In my case, the new discs worked.
DeadPixel

Post by DeadPixel »

I have the disc and it ripped first time without issues. I also see disc's like this every now and again. usually warm water and soap sorts it out.

I do have 2 UHD drives and sometimes just using the other drive sorts it and its not always the same drive that completes the rip.
DaveQ

Post by DaveQ »

Yeah, warm water and soap didn't help. And while I have four different blu-ray drives, only one of them can deal with 4K/UHD discs. So no spare to try.

Thanks for your comment... sounds like it's probably not a widespread issue with this pressing then.