ripping uhd 4ks

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
witchyprincess

ripping uhd 4ks

Post by witchyprincess »

hey I’m so sorry to ask this, it’s probably a dumb question. I’m trying to rip the hunger games on 4K using my LG slim portable UHD blu-ray writer, model BP60NB10. I’ve never ripped a 4K movie before (only 1080p Blu-rays), and I can’t figure out how to do this. Is there a tutorial somewhere that’s really easy to follow? Can anyone explain it to me like I’m 5? I’m sorry to ask, I really don’t know computers much at all. Im trying to do this on a MacBook Pro version 11.2.3 big sur.

The disc just keeps loading endlessly on makemkv once I insert it, and prior to that (when I tried using it a few months ago) I got an error message for copyright, which says: ILLEGAL REQUEST: COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE.

I found this: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634
but I don't know how to do this because I don't know computers super well. Is this ^^ the only way to do it?
AngryVirginian

Re: ripping uhd 4ks

Post by AngryVirginian »

You need to install LibreDrive firmware to make it capable of defeating copy-protection. The easiest way is to hire someone to write an executable to flash the drive for you. See this thread for example - viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17831
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Like AngryVirginian said, you need the right firmware. MakeMKV can make just about any modern blu-ray reader work for regular blu-rays. 4k UHDs, however, are tricky because they have a more complicated encryption scheme. The thread you found, Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide, lists all the known optical drives that work, lists the firmware levels that work, has links to where you can download the firmware, and lists instructions on how to flash the firmware (on your Mac, it is a command line thing).

Once your drive has the right firmware, then MakeMKV can defeat the encryption scheme on the UHD and rip it just like a regular blu-ray. There are sellers that will either sell you an automated flasher that'll help you flash your drive or sell you a new, tested drive that has been flashed appropriately. Also, just in the last few weeks, there are some Pioneer drives that have been made to work with MakeMKV that can rip UHDs and do not require flashing a specific firmware; they work with the stock firmware.

Getting the right firmware on your drive is a one-time step. Once it is done, you don't need to mess with it again. This ability to defeat the UHD encryption scheme is called LibreDrive.
witchyprincess

Post by witchyprincess »

Thank you both so much!! I really appreciate it ❤️
brombo

Post by brombo »

I followed your instruction on my Ubuntu 22.04 HTPC and everything worked fine. I also use Kodi 20.2 and find that I was now able to play 4k Ultra HD disks using Kodi (before I could play commercial blu-rays on Kodi if makemkv was installed). My optical drive is a LG WH16NS40. I bought the lifetime license for makemkv several years ago. The blu-ray menus still do not work on Kodi but that is not really a problem. I feel this undocumented feature of Kodi is useful due to the time it takes to rip a 4k disk and the additional time it would take to convert it to X265 so it doesn't take up too much space.