Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
ginandbacon

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by ginandbacon »

Arkz147 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:46 pm
Hi,

If I may : what is the best choice, between Zidoo Z9X and Dune HD Real Vision 4K, for playing DV using Kodi and Fen/Seren/Venom (or a Kodi-like app) ?
By playing DV, I mean MKV/MP4, and more profiles supported than by my Shield Pro (Remux-friendly, and without messed up colors).

Thanks for any help.
I had the same issue and went with the Dune based on user feedback. Seems like they are better at firmware/software updates then Zidoo. With that said, I have not seen or used the Zidoo. I have confirmed that the Dune HD Real Vision 4k Solo plays both DV 7 profiles. You are going to want to use the built in player no matter which one you go with. Due to either licensing or content providers not allowing it, they are limited to at best, 4K no HDR and Prime video is actually 480p. There is some weird licensing with content providers or they get to choose who gets 4kHDR with streaming services. The Dune is hands down the best media player I have ever used. The fact that it does resolution and framerate changes with no HDMI drop outs is a huge plus. The built in player is all you need really. It does come with a YouTube variant that can actually play HDR. In fact yesterday I was watching something and it came us as HLG. Bohemian Rhapsody, one of the few HDR10+ movies available looked and sounded amazing. It's not for Netflix, Hula, Dis+, ect... The Android in both is crippled by resolution limitations. I only use my Shield now for streaming services. It plays DV profile 4, 6, 7 *MEL and FEL, and 8. Most remux's use 8. HDR10+ (shield doesn't support), HDR10, and HLG. I can't confirm profile 4 due to my setup and it being STD (display does tone mapping, not LLDV). The one thing you will notice right away is no judder, especially compared with the Shield. I had issues with Judder on some content on the Shield. Being able to send out 12b LLDV for SDR content helps with banding and it properly remaps the color tones for pretty much any scenario. While still in Beta, the new GUI is a huge improvement http://dune-hd.com/firmware/newgui/
Albano

Post by Albano »

ArArdin wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:31 pm
Albano wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:42 pm
It's overlap in .sup file if I use MKVToolnik or DVDFab to create .mkv remux from BDMV.
Thanks for sharing. I doubt if a remux by those tools could cause such issues. Maybe the overlap would actually exist in the source PGS stream itself. If so, the disc would suffer from a major authoring issue.

However, it's not uncommon for a subtitle OCR process to misinterpret accumulative SUP images. Looking at your screenshot, I can imagine lines 37 and 38 being an example of faulty merging of several (on disc, well-authored) lines. Did you compare the actual PGS images at these timestamps?
Yes, I've compared PGS images at these timestamps of genuine Blu-ray disc and .mkv rip from MKVToolnix or DVDFab.
If rip from tsmuxer and convert to .mkv by MKVToolnix, this error will not exist.
jsc1979

Post by jsc1979 »

I’m looking at getting the Sony X800m2. Before I do I’d like to see if Dolby Vision Fel is worth it. Does anyone have a list of films where the Fel is a reasonable size?
Albano

Post by Albano »

@RESET_9999
Which madVR version is in your tool?

userr

Post by userr »

Can anyone tell me pls, is there a point in playing profile 7 dolby vision with enhancement layer if i have a Sony Player-LED TV? Can it display the additional details that comes with enhancement layer?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Albano wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:24 pm
@RESET_9999
Which madVR version is in your tool?
the latest beta without time limitation: 113B or 114 if I recall correctly.
userr wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:01 pm
Can it display the additional details that comes with enhancement layer?
yes it can and why wouldnt it? ( as long as the player is sending the information to the TV)
The player-led bug is not related to the EL and it affects Dolby Vision without EL( profile 8 ) as well.
userr

Post by userr »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:19 pm
yes it can and why wouldnt it? ( as long as the player is sending the information to the TV)
The player-led bug is not related to the EL and it affects Dolby Vision without EL( profile 8 ) as well.
Thank you, i wasnt sure if it would thats why i asked.
What is the player-led bug? Havent been keeping up with DV in a while

From what i can gather from reading just the last pages, it seems Zidoo Z9X / Dune HD Real Vision 4K is the way to go for profile 7 mkv playback?
Or Sony x800m2 for mp4 i guess?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

userr wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:36 pm
Thank you, i wasnt sure if it would thats why i asked.
What is the player-led bug? Havent been keeping up with DV in a while
https://youtu.be/e_a77zJTrO4
userr wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:36 pm
From what i can gather from reading just the last pages, it seems Zidoo Z9X / Dune HD Real Vision 4K is the way to go for profile 7 mkv playback?
Or Sony x800m2 for mp4 i guess?
read this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
FubbAyH

Post by FubbAyH »

jsc1979 wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:31 pm
I’m looking at getting the Sony X800m2. Before I do I’d like to see if Dolby Vision Fel is worth it. Does anyone have a list of films where the Fel is a reasonable size?
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=276448
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

ArArdin wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:42 am
For those interested in DGDemux: The writer of the tool created a utility to merge the gap-processed demuxed, separate TrueHD and embedded AC3 tracks back together into TrueHD+AC3.

http://rationalqm.us/board/viewtopic.ph ... 406#p15406
I tested this new tool and it worked very well and this is exactly the solution I was looking for the other day: a way to merge thd with ac3 without encoding the core in eac3to.
Took about 3min for a 2h movie when eac3to usually takes more than 10minutes.(more if clipping detected).
Obviously, you have to demux the mkv first(and ac3 track must be present) but it still faster thanks to my NVME drive (+ most of the time i have to demux the hevc too anyway)
The fact that it can fix the gap from makemkv files is great as well.

I hope it plays well on the x800m2...

Code: Select all

@echo off

TITLE MKV THD to THD+AC3
:: this script demux MKV(THD_and_AC3) and merge THD with AC3
:: path to tools
set "output_path=D:\
set "thdmerge_path=D:\Dolby-Vision-Tools\tools\thdmerge.exe
set "mkvextract_path=D:\Dolby-Vision-Tools\tools\mkvextract.exe
::--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
color 2
:: drag and drop input file
set /p video_path=Drag and drop an MKV(THD_and_AC3) file and press enter...
cd C:\%UserInputPath%
::--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:: demux
%mkvextract_path% %video_path% tracks 1:%output_path%1.thd tracks 2:%output_path%1.ac3
if NOT ["%errorlevel%"]==["0"]  pause
:: merge thd ac3
%thdmerge_path% %output_path%1.thd %output_path%1.ac3 %output_path%thd+ac3.thd
if NOT ["%errorlevel%"]==["0"]  pause
del %output_path%1.thd
del %output_path%1.ac3
Last edited by RESET_9999 on Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Albano

Post by Albano »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:19 pm

the latest beta without time limitation: 113B or 114 if I recall correctly.
I've just installed my PC with windows 11 but still can't see D3D11 Native from your tool.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Albano wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:27 pm

I've just installed my PC with windows 11 but still can't see D3D11 Native from your tool.
i dont know, works fine here.. are you sure lavfilters is set to native?

Albano

Post by Albano »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:41 pm

i dont know, works fine here.. are you sure lavfilters is set to native?

Please send to me link download your tool.

gacopl

Post by gacopl »

Hi i have something to share

I am owner of LG CX and C8 models and also nvidia shield.
I made numerous conversions to make sure what is best, i found that for those LG models most reliable is mp4, m2ts is somewhat ok but for me had seeking issues at least with emby. I have found its best to convert to proper mp4 and keep Atmos and other tracks for safekeeping to be able to remux to mkv in future once at least nvidia shield plays correctly (it does not due to colors issues etc). I have found for best results is to play mp4 directly on Emby app on LG

I have created bash script that automates authoring and conversion of different Dolby Vision mkvs to mp4 that will work on above LG models without issues, so far i have converted around 30 releases no issues to the point i automated workflow

So my tool converts whatever mkv you throw at it to mp4 with DV4,5 or 8 with EAC3 audio and keeps original truehd atmos etc alongside for future, i have tested and remuxing with mkvtoolnix makes it playable with atmos again on nvidia shield no issues.

It automates ffmpeg dovi_tool and mp4box workflow and try to use as little drive space as possible thanks to linux pipes. I have it running on my NAS and is chugging along fine

https://github.com/gacopl/dvmkv2mp4

Take a look comment, or contribute :)
sickb

Post by sickb »

My latest report on the X800M2:
- Choppy playback issues seem to be resolved after stabilising my network (replaced switches and reserved an access point, disabled modern standby). Also I need to make sure there's nothing else gobbling up IO on the hard drives from which im playing movies, obviously.
- I still have it lock up sometimes after pause, stop, resume kind of situations, which means I need to do a hard reboot of the player
- Even for non disc content, it appears you need to manually change between dolby vision on and off for non-dolby vision content. my HDR content otherwise has raised black levels. I tried forcing color spaces, change my tv edid to LLDV or RGB (just to see if it somehow would treat HDR content better by miracle), but no.
- Connected to my VRRoom switch/splitter, I sometimes need to switch ports back and forth because of otherwise black screen. but this is probably the VRRoom firmware.
- As I find the remote (limited cec) and the navigation in general sub-par, I repurposed a DLNA music cast plugin for Plex, to cast videos to the X800M2 directly from the plex app on phone and tablet, basically fixing my biggest usability concern.
- Seeking via cast can drop dolby vision back to hdr, have to stop and start to get it back

Im a little sad about the manual DV switch, but I guess if it really bothers me I could buy a second unit and configure it with it off, then I just need to pick the right cast target based on HDR/DV :-)

My M9203 arrived but has weird artefacts and color issues so probably has to go back.
I also noticed the DV in TS problem where you have to view another test file (thanks RESET9999) to fix it.
So in the end, it's tradeoffs everywhere :D
Last edited by sickb on Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.