Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
sickb

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by sickb »

sickb wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:03 pm
Replaced my switch and cabling today, and the 800M2 seems to fare better so far.
Sometimes I have truehd movies start without audio, but when I FF/RWD a bit, it works.
after also replacing the ethernet adapter for the M1 Mac which is my DLNA/SMB/NFS server and solving some other issues with my router, things seem to really look up for the X800M2... so far 2 movie successes, encounting.
almost feel bad now for ordering the M9203... still looking forward to try it out, compare and see if at least CEC is better.
Also BDMV+ISO and MKV TrueHD/Atrmos support would be a boon. The question is what will it do worse..
No idea yet about STDL TS, but DTDL and profile 8.1 for MEL to the rescue I suppose.
ArArdin wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:13 am
When tsMuxer produced flawed output in the past, couple of times I empirically concluded that the problem had to be in the demuxing. Sometimes also using ffmpeg didn't help. A tool I don't like for it's demuxing abilities alltogether actually.
In case of any issue and always with a seamless branched disc, first thing I do is demuxing all streams directly from the (UHD)BD iso using DGDemux. And then go from there. Saved my @ss quite some times. Not only with Dolby Vision issues.
What is it with awesome tools and leaving us Mac folk in the want ;-)
I was happy MakeMKV, DVDFab, TSMuxer and dovitool were on Mac, only to find myself wanting eac3to, clonebd+anydvd, and now DGDemux :) Parallels only gets us so far esp. on M1.
FubbAyH

Post by FubbAyH »

ArArdin wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:50 pm
I never tried demuxing TrueHD+AC3 with seamless branching, so I honestly wouldn't know whether DGDemux could or could not apply proper gap-processing in such a track. Actually I'd bet my bottom dollar it would do a proper job. I don't think the writer of DGDemux could live with himself when output would not be right. If you say differently, so be it.
I didn't actually test it myself, I'm just going from what's in DGDemux.txt:
-nsthd: The 'no split thd' option demuxes THD with it's embedded AC3 as a single THD+AC3
stream. When this option is omitted, THD is demuxed into two separate streams, one THD
without embedded AC3, and one AC3. Note that file gaps processing for the THD and embedded
AC3 streams is performed only when this option is not given, i.e., when the streams are
split.
BadlyDrawnBoy

Post by BadlyDrawnBoy »

Hi,

Sorry to barge into the discussion, and I'm a newbie on this stuff, and I'm just very curious about something (and very confused at the same time).

These dvhe.07.06 MKV remux files with BL+RPU+EL that are floating around, what can actually play them to their full extent? (and by full extent I mean including FEL and TrueHD Atmos). I'm asking because, as far as I know, the players that fully support profile 7 are the Blu-Ray disc players (and the clones), and (AFAIK, please do correct me if necessary) those don't play MKV's at all. So I don't quite understand who is the target of these remuxes. Hints?

Cheers
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

FubbAyH wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:10 pm
-nsthd: The 'no split thd' option demuxes THD with it's embedded AC3 as a single THD+AC3
stream. When this option is omitted, THD is demuxed into two separate streams, one THD
without embedded AC3, and one AC3. Note that file gaps processing for the THD and embedded
AC3 streams is performed only when this option is not given, i.e., when the streams are
split.
I never read this. I just lost my bottom dollar, please provide me with your bankaccount details.
Standing corrected, I'm glad I always demux into separate streams. Thanks for the heads-up.
sickb

Post by sickb »

Today I had issues with the X800M2 again, when fast forwarding into James Bond No Time to die, 1hr30m.
audio would cut out and progress weirdly.
is your FF/RW always fine @RESET_9999 ?
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

BadlyDrawnBoy wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:47 am
These dvhe.07.06 MKV remux files with BL+RPU+EL that are floating around, what can actually play them to their full extent? (and by full extent I mean including FEL and TrueHD Atmos). I'm asking because, as far as I know, the players that fully support profile 7 are the Blu-Ray disc players (and the clones), and (AFAIK, please do correct me if necessary) those don't play MKV's at all. So I don't quite understand who is the target of these remuxes. Hints?
First, I'm not sure why you mention Atmos. AFAIK it can be perfectly muxed in a DV mkv and I think most (if not all) mediaplayers support bitsream output on HDMI.

The quality difference between FEL/no FEL is much discussed. Opinions vary. It is said a lot of people wouldn't notice a thing between the two. As for the luminace abilities, nowadays tv's won't even come near full 10 bit ceiling, let alone 12 bit. Everybody should see & decide for himself, I guess.

I think there's a lot of MakeMKV rips out there because the software provides a rather convenient "1-click" way of decrypting & putting everything of a DV video losslessly together in one widely supported container.
Of course you're right that for most mediaplayers FEL can be dropped. But conversion of DV takes effort & time. Even more when deciding to recode baselayer.
I don't know when or if mediaplayers with "full" DV-FEL playback will have become common (and bugfree) goods, but already having full-blown mkv's by then will be nice of course.
sickb

Post by sickb »

In the end it’s just a convenient container, maybe one day there are players supporting it in mkv. In the meantime you can at least enjoy the RPU on shield/appletv.
You can easily remux it, although I’ve found some data loss in my journey remuxing between formats, so for me personally I will stay with full copy bdmv/iso for now.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

sickb wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:54 pm
is your FF/RW always fine @RESET_9999 ?
yes so far so good.
sickb wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:02 pm
In the end it’s just a convenient container, maybe one day there are players supporting it in mkv. In the meantime you can at least enjoy the RPU on shield/appletv.
You can easily remux it, although I’ve found some data loss in my journey remuxing between formats, so for me personally I will stay with full copy bdmv/iso for now.
The loss happens in makemkv as shown in the pictures posted in a reply to you. Not in tsmuxer!!
makemkv just doesn't like the tsmuxer files but it doesn't matter because by making a DT-DL TS/M2TS file you have a full copy in which you can go back to ISO / ST-DL mkv(yusesope) / P8 without any loss...

anyway, What you discovered is a good thing to know...

tsmuxer to makemkv = breaks EL

sickb wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:02 pm
In the meantime you can at least enjoy the RPU on appletv.
nop, appletv does fake DV with uhdbd rip regardless of the container profile. it only supports DV genuine P5 and P8.4 HLG BL.
BadlyDrawnBoy wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:47 am
Hi,

Sorry to barge into the discussion, and I'm a newbie on this stuff, and I'm just very curious about something (and very confused at the same time).

Cheers
some unstable Chinese android boxes can play fel mkv with atmos. I'm sure in the future , there will be one that works.
mtotheb

Post by mtotheb »

some unstable Chinese android boxes can play fel mkv with atmos. I'm sure in the future , there will be one that works.
Those should be the the
- Ugoos AM6 Plus
- Minix Neo U22-XJ (with Ugoos firmware)

Both share the Amlogic S922X-J which does FEL with it being limited to (32bit) Kodi builds by Maven for DV and HD-Audio passthrough.https://repo.kodinerds.net/index.php?ac ... meabi-v7a)
Shield TV 2017 -> LG DSN10YG Soundbar with SPK8 Rears -> LG B1 OLED
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

I have the Ugoos AM6 Plus but I find it very buggy player for Dolby Vision. Eventhough it has a 2nd decoder for FEL, up to this day I haven't been able to watch a full DV movie without A/V stuttering or having to restart playback because of hanging. Frustrating. It's now left hooked up to a full HD TV elsewhere with CoreElec OS. It'll probably stay that way.
mtotheb

Post by mtotheb »

@ArArdin
does CoreElec do DV?
Shield TV 2017 -> LG DSN10YG Soundbar with SPK8 Rears -> LG B1 OLED
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

Sadly, no. At least not the version I installed some time ago. I gave up on the DV playback. When I read about this USB thing to make dualboot possible, I gave it a go. CoreElec has proven stable and responsive.
el_juan

Post by el_juan »

I see some groups are making DV hybrids where the web-dl and UHD BluRay are not matching on Display Aspect Ratio.

Example with Onward
WEB-DL: 2.40:1
UHD BluRay: 16:9
Hybrid result: 16:9

In the awesome dolby vision tool from RESET_9999 it states "both videos must have the same aspect ratio otherwise DV wont be accurate".
Is there a solution to change the aspect ratio? or is it just to change the L5 active area?
Sorry if i sound a bit confused :D
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

el_juan wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:03 pm
Example with Onward
UHD BD are only 16:9 because they encode the black bars in the video so you just have to set a proper L5 active area just like I did in the video.
el_juan wrote:
In the awesome dolby vision tool from RESET_9999 it states "both videos must have the same aspect ratio otherwise DV wont be accurate".
I meant when both videos has a different letterbox. EG, IMAX vs non-imax video. see this post: viewtopic.php?p=114950#p114950
el_juan

Post by el_juan »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:43 pm
el_juan wrote:
Example with Onward
UHD BD are only 16:9 because they encode the black bars in the video so you just have to set a proper L5 active area just like I did in the video.
el_juan wrote:
I meant when both videos has a different letterbox. EG, IMAX vs non-imax video. see this post: viewtopic.php?p=114950#p114950
Thanks for helping me understand this better :) I really appreciate it!