Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
FubbAyH

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by FubbAyH »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:32 pm
These 3 movies work flawlessly on my end in all the possible workflow. So it's probably your failing HDD that broke some of your files if I had to guess.
Thank you again for testing those. That's great news, so I'm hopeful that when I re-rip I'll get the same results. It was actually my Blu-ray drive that is failing now (not my HDD) and my old rips all verified okay so I'm still assuming a software bug somewhere in my workflow is to blame for the differences.
RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:32 pm
IMO the x800m2 is the player I've been looking for since DV remuxes are possible. I'll probably vanish from this forum because my DV needs are met.
Yes, I'm the feeling the same way, and hoping that this is the endgame. Hopefully we can just replace all 400 pages of this thread with a post that says:

How to make and watch Dolby Vision rips (every other way is a world of pain and misery):

#1 Buy a Sony UBP-X800M2
#2 Make a full-disc decrypted backup using MakeMKV
#3 Find the playlist for the version of the movie you want (it's probably 00800.mpls for the English version)
#4 Drop that into tsMuxer
#5 Set it to output M2TS, and select the audio and subtitle tracks you want
#6 Watch the movie
#7 Be free
#8 Live your life
#9 Never think about Dolby Vision ever again
deadchip12 wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:20 am
So my hope of getting a x800m2 is gone. There's really no place in my country that sells it.
Is it particularly difficult to import things in your country? There do seem to be lots of places that sell the X800M2 and will ship internationally (but I know there are sometimes a few countries that they can't ship to).
Baer2021

Post by Baer2021 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:55 am
deadchip12 wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:51 am
You mean even muxing to bmdv folder and playing it from root folder won't fix the bugs for these DT-DL TS movies?
BDMV playback = bugs free
TS/M2TS playback = bugs

both are DT-DL format.
Is this the FF/RW bug you're mentioning? And is that bug only present on the X700 or also present on the UBP-X800M2?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Baer2021 wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:59 pm
Is this the FF/RW bug you're mentioning? And is that bug only present on the X700 or also present on the UBP-X800M2?
x700 BDMV= bugs free
x700 TS/M2ts = FF/RW bug and Green/purple Screen bug
x800m2 in both format= bugs free
FubbAyH wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:23 am
How to make and watch Dolby Vision rips (every other way is a world of pain and misery):
#1 Buy a Sony UBP-X800M2
#3 Find the playlist for the version of the movie you want (it's probably 00800.mpls for the English version)
#6 Watch the movie
#7 Be free
#8 Live your life
Exactly!!
FubbAyH wrote:
Is it particularly difficult to import things in your country? There do seem to be lots of places that sell the X800M2 and will ship internationally (but I know there are sometimes a few countries that they can't ship to).
I got mine from there: https://www.ebay.com/itm/255334121617?e ... Sw2XxhpWAK
looks like they ship almost worldwide...
codeXRes

Post by codeXRes »

Great news! I'll start looking for an X800M2.

Slightly off topic, I'm also looking to upgrade my to TV to an OLED - preferably LG CX or C1. C1 is obviously newer but more expensive, so I'm leaning towards CX. Any idea if there are any known issues with either of them regarding DV playback? Many thanks.
Baer2021

Post by Baer2021 »

Thanks for the advice on the X800M2. The price has been under $200 a few times in the last year, but for some reason jumped up to like $329 in the last few weeks. Will probably wait a while until it goes on sale again to pick it up as a secondary player along with my Oppo.
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

@RESET_9999

Hi, I'm thinking about buying a X800M2 for another room but am bothered with something. In a Dutch online review I read that Dolby Vision video isn't auto-recognised and you have to enable it in the menu. Which isn't a problem of course. But when enabled, the X800M2 is said to output every HDR content in a form of DV. Which wouldn't be without noticeable artifacts for non-DV content. Consequently, a user should switch between disabling/enabling DV for every other occasion.

Can you confirm this behavior? Because this review is a few years old, I actually imagine the issues are solved with later FW.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

ArArdin wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:44 pm
@RESET_9999

Hi, I'm thinking about buying a X800M2 for another room but am bothered with something. In a Dutch online review I read that Dolby Vision video isn't auto-recognised and you have to enable it in the menu. Which isn't a problem of course. But when enabled, the X800M2 is said to output every HDR content in a form of DV. Which wouldn't be without noticeable artifacts for non-DV content. Consequently, a user should switch between disabling/enabling DV for every other occasion.

Can you confirm this behavior? Because this review is a few years old, I actually imagine the issues are solved with later FW.
yes, this is true and still the case for USB and disc playback.
But with file playback via the network , somehow the player displays SDR/HDR10/DV in their native dynamic range.
AndreasT

Post by AndreasT »

I had a look into the users-guide for the x800m2, and on page 36 of the English language version it says;

• The player can support video bit rate up to 40 Mbps

4th bullet point from the bottom of the right hand side column.

Is that a limitation to be worried about? Isn't it normal for a modern 4k+HDR title to have a video bit rate higher than that?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

AndreasT wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:36 pm
• The player can support video bit rate up to 40 Mbps
sickb

Post by sickb »

Replaced my switch and cabling today, and the 800M2 seems to fare better so far.
Sometimes I have truehd movies start without audio, but when I FF/RWD a bit, it works.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

FubbAyH wrote:
#1 Buy a Sony UBP-X800M2
#6 Watch the movie
#7 Be free
#8 Live your life
Hmm why #4 and #5? Cna't the X800M2 play the full-disc backup directly?
FubbAyH wrote:
deadchip12 wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:20 am
So my hope of getting a x800m2 is gone. There's really no place in my country that sells it.
I just checked and Amazon can ship to my country but the import fee is pretty high, adding 40%-50% markup on top of the original price. Same if I ask some 3rd party local company to ship it for me instead. Manufacturer's warranty is another problem. It won't apply abroad I suppose. I'm not sure if all these are worth the improvement over the x700 which I can purchase locally. I live in Vietnam btw.
FubbAyH

Post by FubbAyH »

Ah dang, yeah those import fees suck :(
bhuno33

Post by bhuno33 »

Hey everybody first post here :D ... Wanted to know if the x700 does TV-led DV when playing back .m2ts backups via usb created using latest tsmuxer nightly (using full UHD BD backups), and also why creating a bdmv folder is now recommended for the x700? I never had an issue ff or rw with .m2ts files that i noticed at least, and the green screen bug I just worked around by restarting as I'm not switching between content that often. Sorry if this has been answered already finding a bit hard to read through all the posts.
FubbAyH

Post by FubbAyH »

I've been having more adventures with re-ripping for my X800M2. To cut a very long story short, it turns out that the current nightly builds of tsMuxer are producing corrupted output so I thought I should post a warning about that here. Apparently the last working version is the 23 January nightly, and there's a GitHub issue for the corruption bug.

The good news for me is that that's hopefully the source of all my woes. I've just gotta remux for the four-millionth time now to find out, so please wish me luck.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

FubbAyH wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:57 pm
The good news for me is that that's hopefully the source of all my woes
My Dune 2021 test was with the latest tsmuxer and didn't get the error you're getting but it could explain the issue I'm having when I remux from dual track MKV.
My BTTF files were made a long time ago with an older tsmuxer.

but thanks for the info, I'll downgrade to the older version.

EDIT:, nop, dual track mkv to ts still doesn't work.