Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
RESET_9999

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by RESET_9999 »

DolbyVisionFTW wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:36 pm
RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:10 pm

We will know more when the new Spears and Munsil disc is out
Is there an ETA for that, do you know?

Thanks.
No date yet
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.ph ... 27&page=51
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/spears ... 80/page-80
Albano

Post by Albano »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:30 pm

Check the video resolution.
3840x2160 = black bars hardcoded or 16:9 content

cropped video resolution will be something like this: 3840x1600
Now, I have one 4K HDR10 Blu-ray disc and I want to remux to DV.
Please tell me the way to do, detail in step by step because I'm learning at remux DV.
Sorry, my English is very bad.
DolbyVisionFTW

Post by DolbyVisionFTW »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:16 pm

I meant, converting to profile 8 allows me to playback in HDR10(in SDR actually) on my PJ and in DV on my TV.
Do you play all Dolby Vision media on your tv using the Sony x700 via USB or across a home network?

Thanks for sharing so much info and replying to my queries, really appreciated.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Albano wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:14 pm
Now, I have one 4K HDR10 Blu-ray disc and I want to remux to DV.
Please tell me the way to do, detail in step by step because I'm learning at remux DV.
Sorry, my English is very bad.
Sorry English is not my native tongue too so there's not much more I can do to help you. Everything you need is in the video and once you understand how to edit the bat file to your path (right-click/modify), you just have to replicate what I do.

E.G.: the INJECT bat file command is:

Code: Select all

D:\Dolby-Vision-Tools\dovi_tool.exe inject-rpu -i D:\Dolby-Vision-Tools\HDR10.hevc --rpu-in D:\Dolby-Vision-Tools\rpu.bin
If you happen to have a D:\ drive , just put the Dolby-Vision-Tools folder (without renaming it) there.
if your drive is for example F:\ then just edit all the bat and replace D:\ by F:\

F:\Dolby-Vision-Tools\dovi_tool.exe inject-rpu -i F:\Dolby-Vision-Tools\HDR10.hevc --rpu-in F:\Dolby-Vision-Tools\rpu.bin
if you only have1 drive, a C:\ drive and your working folder is the video folder ( C:\Users\your.windows.username\Videos ), same thing. put the Dolby-Vision-Tools folder (without renaming it) there.

C:\Users\your.windows.username\Videos\Dolby-Vision-Tools\dovi_tool.exe inject-rpu -i C:\Users\your.windows.username\Videos\Dolby-Vision-Tools\HDR10.hevc --rpu-in C:\Users\your.windows.username\Videos\Dolby-Vision-Tools\rpu.bin
DolbyVisionFTW wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:03 pm
Do you play all Dolby Vision media on your tv using the Sony x700 via USB or across a home network?
Thanks for sharing so much info and replying to my queries, really appreciated.
yeah, I use my x700 via USB for DoVi but sometimes I'm too lazy to transfer a movie on my USB drive so I just watch it with my C8 internal plex app.
Albano

Post by Albano »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:29 pm

Sorry English is not my native tongue too so there's not much more I can do to help you. Everything you need is in the video and once you understand how to edit the bat file to your path (right-click/modify), you just have to replicate what I do.

E.G.: the INJECT bat file command is:

D:\Dolby-Vision-Tools\dovi_tool.exe inject-rpu -i D:\Dolby-Vision-Tools\HDR10.hevc --rpu-in D:\Dolby-Vision-Tools\rpu.bin
If you happen to have a D:\ drive , just put the Dolby-Vision-Tools folder (without renaming it) there.
if your drive is for example F:\ then just edit all the bat and replace D:\ by F:\

F:\Dolby-Vision-Tools\dovi_tool.exe inject-rpu -i F:\Dolby-Vision-Tools\HDR10.hevc --rpu-in F:\Dolby-Vision-Tools\rpu.bin
if you only have1 drive, a C:\ drive and your working folder is the video folder ( C:\Users\your.windows.username\Videos ), same thing. put the Dolby-Vision-Tools folder (without renaming it) there.

C:\Users\your.windows.username\Videos\Dolby-Vision-Tools\dovi_tool.exe inject-rpu -i C:\Users\your.windows.username\Videos\Dolby-Vision-Tools\HDR10.hevc --rpu-in C:\Users\your.windows.username\Videos\Dolby-Vision-Tools\rpu.bin
Thanks for replying.
Is this tool the same tool used to scan video files in your clips?
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/madvr- ... s.3040072/
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

@Albano it use the same madvr but you only need it if you want to add a peak brightness or dynamic clipping. I didn't use it in the video.
DolbyVisionFTW

Post by DolbyVisionFTW »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:29 pm

yeah, I use my x700 via USB for DoVi but sometimes I'm too lazy to transfer a movie on my USB drive so I just watch it with my C8 internal plex app.
Is the internal Plex app better than the modified Exoplayer for Dolby Vision playback, do you know? A friend of mine owns a LG C9 and I’m not sure which would be the better app for him to use? He doesn’t have a media library of his own so doesn’t need that feature for Plex at this time.
nissen22

Post by nissen22 »

Is there no way whatsoever to play a FEL profile 7 DV movie without using a bluray + bluray player on my LG C1 OLED?

I can get 8.1 to work on Jellyfin (using tsmuxer + yusesope's tool + dlb_mp4base on the BDMV dirs to convert to DV 8.1), but testing on the movie 1917 it actually looks a bit darker in DV profile 8.1 than ordinary HDR10 (maybe that's how it's supposed to look, idk...). Should I just stick to HDR10 to get rid of this headache? :lol:
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

DolbyVisionFTW wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:34 pm
Is the internal Plex app better than the modified Exoplayer for Dolby Vision playback, do you know? A friend of mine owns a LG C9 and I’m not sure which would be the better app for him to use? He doesn’t have a media library of his own so doesn’t need that feature for Plex at this time.
I never tried the modified exoplayer. I have no issue with plex on my C8 with P8 + EAC3 1536kbps TS files. Single-track P7 FEL also works but not all of them.
What I really like about plex is that I can play my DoVi remux anywhere in the world with the remote access (obviously you need fast internet).

nissen22 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:55 pm
Is there no way whatsoever to play a FEL profile 7 DV movie without using a bluray + bluray player on my LG C1 OLED?
Well, the Chromecast is not a bluray player and can do FEL.
nissen22 wrote:
but testing on the movie 1917 it actually looks a bit darker in DV profile 8.1 than ordinary HDR10 (maybe that's how it's supposed to look, idk...). Should I just stick to HDR10 to get rid of this headache? :lol:
DoVi is supposed to be closer to how it looked on the mastering monitor when they graded it. So unless it's the lldv bug thing, it's probably HDR10 that is too bright there because a static curve cannot adapt to the scene like DV can.
Last edited by RESET_9999 on Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chros

Post by chros »

nissen22 wrote:

I can get 8.1 to work on Jellyfin...
Did they publish their client for WebOS? Not according to their website: coming soon, at least for 1 year.
nissen22

Post by nissen22 »

chros wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:10 pm
nissen22 wrote:

I can get 8.1 to work on Jellyfin...
Did they publish their client for WebOS? Not according to their website: coming soon, at least for 1 year.
Yes, but it is not on the webos store. If you look at the Jellyfin github you can see how to install it using WebOS Developer Mode. It works pretty well.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:35 pm
Single-track P7 FEL also works but not all of them.
is that a C1 specific issue or plex/occurs on multiple devices @ hw/os level?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

staknhalo wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:48 pm
RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:35 pm
Single-track P7 FEL also works but not all of them.
is that a C1 specific issue or plex/occurs on multiple devices @ hw/os level?
I don't know about the C1 but playing a dual-layer file on a device that only has one decoder is asking for trouble IMO.
I have a C8 and it supports the decoding of FEL, the reason why some movies won't play(or stutter) seem to be random.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

Been discussed before the LG X/1 series don’t play dual track via internal media player.
7/8/9 do but as RESET999 advises random movies do not play or don’t play properly… Bumblebee is an example that springs to mind.
Albano

Post by Albano »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:02 pm
It's really dynamic and very close to the original DV. It measures each pixel just like the Dolby algo and the dovi_tools use those values to create proper L1 metadata.
I've compared with the Spears and Munsil clip and the scene cuts (brightness changes) are exactly the same as the original. The difference is the trim passes which are optional in DV.
Should use RPU from madMeasureHDR (extract from Blu-ray 4K HDR10) or from WEB-DL have Dolby Vision?