Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Bigboypants
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:42 am

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Bigboypants »

dcoke22 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 1:27 pm
karbre wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:58 am
What do you mean by "keeping the unedited rips" - keeping the MKVs as they came directly out of MakeMKV, or keeping a complete disc backup?
I mean keeping the .mkv files as they come out of MakeMKV. I didn't quite finish my thought there… What comes off a UHD and gets stored in the .mkv file is Dolby Vision profile 7. There is some support for playing DV profile 7 directly, but it isn't universal. Dolby Vision profile 5 is what the streaming services use and is what has the most support with built-in players in TVs and various streaming boxes. There are tools to get from profile 7 to profile 5, but I think most people are wanting to eventually just play the profile 7 .mkv files directly. Transcoding a DV UHD rip to save a little space is a multistep process at the moment as well.

In summary, the tools and best practices for dealing with UHDs, especially DV UHDs are in flux. By keeping the 'unedited rips' you should be able to avoid having the rip from disc again when circumstances change (i.e. when your playback setup changes or whatever).

As a side note you should be able to get nearly the all the metadata correct in MakeMKV at the time of ripping (except, of course, any .srt subtitles you might want to embed).
Can UBX700 read makemkv raw backups and output dolby vision?
if not then how can I use an MKV backup to playback DV?
ultrahorst
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:44 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by ultrahorst »

karbre wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 12:13 pm
Okay then, I guess the MKV as it came out of MakeMKV is as good as the one processed with MKVToolNix, as the DV data is not altered. I'm not planning on converting to other DV profiles.
Actually, this is not true for the latest MKVToolNix version: https://gitlab.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/-/issues/3093
Just a heads up, users in other forums reported that MKVs created with versions 56.0.0 and 56.1.0 without the program argument

Code: Select all

--engage dont_normalize_parameter_sets
do not work in some players, and re-muxing with a lower version or the program arguments mentioned in the linked issue does not work.
ooofz
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 10, 2021 12:49 am

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by ooofz »

Donpablo80 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:27 am
Recently I bought the 65 inch LG Oled CX. I have a lot of MP4 Dolby vision movies that play fine on my older Oled B7, but they are not whatchble on my CX, they look very dark. Is this a known problem?

EDIT:

I see it's a known problem. Anything to do about it? Or just download the hdr10 version of the movie.
MP4 DV movies with FEL are playing very dark on my CX also (and other users reported the same in this thread if i remember correctly).
Titles with MEL are playing fine though and therefore unfortunately the only solution i found, was to convert the FEL to MEL (but probably any way discarding the extra data for reconstructing the original 12-bit signal and only keeping the RPU should be sufficient).

I think MakeMKV is showing if EL is Full or Minimal, or just check e.g. here: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=276448
For messing around with ELs/RPU best experience for me was with quietvoid's tool: https://github.com/quietvoid/dovi_tool (thanks very much for your effort from a mostly only reading user on this way ;) keep up the good work!)
DaMacFunkin
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:17 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by DaMacFunkin »

Bigboypants wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 11:05 am
dcoke22 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 1:27 pm
karbre wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:58 am
What do you mean by "keeping the unedited rips" - keeping the MKVs as they came directly out of MakeMKV, or keeping a complete disc backup?
I mean keeping the .mkv files as they come out of MakeMKV. I didn't quite finish my thought there… What comes off a UHD and gets stored in the .mkv file is Dolby Vision profile 7. There is some support for playing DV profile 7 directly, but it isn't universal. Dolby Vision profile 5 is what the streaming services use and is what has the most support with built-in players in TVs and various streaming boxes. There are tools to get from profile 7 to profile 5, but I think most people are wanting to eventually just play the profile 7 .mkv files directly. Transcoding a DV UHD rip to save a little space is a multistep process at the moment as well.

In summary, the tools and best practices for dealing with UHDs, especially DV UHDs are in flux. By keeping the 'unedited rips' you should be able to avoid having the rip from disc again when circumstances change (i.e. when your playback setup changes or whatever).

As a side note you should be able to get nearly the all the metadata correct in MakeMKV at the time of ripping (except, of course, any .srt subtitles you might want to embed).
Can UBX700 read makemkv raw backups and output dolby vision?
if not then how can I use an MKV backup to playback DV?
On most movies the Zidoo Z9X will do you fine, if you absolutely feel you need full FEL then Ugoos am6+ with patched Kodi, but it is a real flaky box tbh.
Hoosier205
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:46 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Hoosier205 »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 6:15 am
dcoke22 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:27 pm
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:43 am
Google, Netflix, Prime have no interest in frame rate matching, it won’t happen on the CCwGTV.
Out of curiosity, why do you say that? You'd think they'd be interested in having as good a presentation as reasonably possible for their service. Well, maybe not Amazon (I think their UI on all their products is a dumpster fire). But I would think frame rate matching is moving into the table stakes category of things for new devices that plug into an HDMI port on a TV. Are their other forces at play pushing in the opposite direction?
Hi I have the Nvidia Shield, they have a beta frame match option and an unofficial frame rate app which as now fallen out of development, the reason this has never got out of beta is Amazon don’t support it, Netflix used to support it but now it has come a convoluted mess.
The Nvidia devs are constantly told from the big streaming services that consumer research shows the average person doesn’t even register dropped frames or sped up playback, but they do register black screens every time they change stream/ exit to menu / play a trailer - the constant black re-synch screen on a streaming service is the biggest complaint by Joe bloggs on services that have supported it or attempted to support it that’s why your nicely consumer priced CCwGTV won’t push for support.
There is a reason they have not developed their beta frame match option further, but that is not the reason why. The issue is not specific to Amazon. Many apps do not allow for system level frame rate matching. The developers of those apps could also include their own native support for it, but they have resisted doing either of those things. NVIDIA has done all they can within the confines of the OS for now and have repeatedly asked app developers to to improve the functionality of these apps. There isn't much they can do beyond that however.

It is correct that the 3rd party Refresh Rate app is no longer in development, but there really isn't any reason for it to be. There isn't any room left for it to grow beyond how it functions now. It works as it should for nearly every app I use and there are workarounds for problematic apps like Prime Video. Plex and Kodi both handle it themselves. If you want a streaming device with passthrough audio, it is the best option available by leaps and bounds. Especially with the availability of DV playback via MP4/MKV.
mulucy
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:08 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by mulucy »

As you may or may not know, Disney is including DV in Disney Plus, but on the Blu Ray disks ( they have been doing this for a while now ). Was wondering if there is a way to extract the RPU from the streaming file and create a new REMUX with DV from the disk copy? Just a silly thought hehe
Snickers333
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu May 13, 2021 9:07 am

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Snickers333 »

Hey guys, after reading lots and lots of pages from this thread, i need your confirmation. I want to buy an Lg oled and I'm considering c9 or cx ( in poland at the time this is about 70 dollar difference ). Am I right saying that if i want to be able to play FEL Dolby vision from bluray versions i have to buy the c9, because the cx can't play this dual layer format and is only limited to MEL Dolby vision ? Thanks. :)
quietvoid
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:15 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by quietvoid »

mulucy wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 2:19 am
As you may or may not know, Disney is including DV in Disney Plus, but on the Blu Ray disks ( they have been doing this for a while now ). Was wondering if there is a way to extract the RPU from the streaming file and create a new REMUX with DV from the disk copy? Just a silly thought hehe
In theory, yes. This is what I tried to do already with my tool.
However MakeMKV panics when trying to remux the file most of the time.

In practice, you can also have mismatching scenes and number of frames. So it's not really possible all the time.
daddy
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:17 am

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by daddy »

Snickers333 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:13 am
Hey guys, after reading lots and lots of pages from this thread, i need your confirmation. I want to buy an Lg oled and I'm considering c9 or cx ( in poland at the time this is about 70 dollar difference ). Am I right saying that if i want to be able to play FEL Dolby vision from bluray versions i have to buy the c9, because the cx can't play this dual layer format and is only limited to MEL Dolby vision ? Thanks. :)
Yes, you are right.
Also, cx can't play dts audio.
Snickers333
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu May 13, 2021 9:07 am

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Snickers333 »

Guys, I have just made 2 mp4 files. One is first episode of Game of thrones in Dolby Vision FEL. Second is The invisible Man also in Dolby Vision. I made those files using original mp4muxer method - extracted base layer and enchancement layer .hevc files and merging them to make DTDL .mp4 files and here is the thing. My Lg CX when playing The invisible Man throws out an error something like couldnt recognise file, but then when i tried playing game of thrones episode it plays just fine !! recognizing Dolby Vision icon in the corner. Any idea why is that ? Maybe it's some sort of securing from playing longer files in Dolby vision ( just a guess ).
Dawid911
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 17, 2021 4:48 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Dawid911 »

Hi all pls help me how add audio and subtitle to mp4 video( 5 profile dv) ?
DaMacFunkin
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:17 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by DaMacFunkin »

Dawid911 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 4:50 pm
Hi all pls help me how add audio and subtitle to mp4 video( 5 profile dv) ?
Use external srt format.
karbre
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:19 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by karbre »

ultrahorst wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 9:52 pm
karbre wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 12:13 pm
Okay then, I guess the MKV as it came out of MakeMKV is as good as the one processed with MKVToolNix, as the DV data is not altered. I'm not planning on converting to other DV profiles.
Actually, this is not true for the latest MKVToolNix version: https://gitlab.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/-/issues/3093
Just a heads up, users in other forums reported that MKVs created with versions 56.0.0 and 56.1.0 without the program argument

Code: Select all

--engage dont_normalize_parameter_sets
do not work in some players, and re-muxing with a lower version or the program arguments mentioned in the linked issue does not work.
Thank you very much for this information btw. I am now using MKVToolNix v55.0.0 for muxing DV files. I don't really understand why the MKVToolNix dev does not release a hotfix which disables the mentioned argument by default. I am pretty sure it does more harm than good for most users (it was introduced only for fixing edge-case problems when joining video files).
ultrahorst
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:44 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by ultrahorst »

karbre wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 1:24 pm
Thank you very much for this information btw. I am now using MKVToolNix v55.0.0 for muxing DV files. I don't really understand why the MKVToolNix dev does not release a hotfix which disables the mentioned argument by default. I am pretty sure it does more harm than good for most users (it was introduced only for fixing edge-case problems when joining video files).
You're welcome! You can also use the new version v57 released two days ago. The author fixed many HEVC issues, including the DV header issue causing the bug introduced in v56.
ultrahorst
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:44 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by ultrahorst »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 5:58 am
On most movies the Zidoo Z9X will do you fine, if you absolutely feel you need full FEL then Ugoos am6+ with patched Kodi, but it is a real flaky box tbh.
Ugoos released a new firmware today (https://ugoos.com/rc-firmware-update-v0 ... -x3-models), with video codec and stability fixes.
Might be worth checking out. I hope this update is a sign that the rumors about the abandonment of the AM6 are not true.
Post Reply